New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hello hello - 1st car - 1st Audi - to buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 11:09 AM
1st Gear
Default hello hello - 1st car - 1st Audi - to buy or not to buy

my bad, I accidentally posted in classics before posting in here. So if the moderators could delete my thread in classics, I'd appreciate it.

Hey everyone, I'd like to start of saying nice site. It's big, active, and lots of info. I've been reading alot and have enjoyed every thread so far. I just graduated from college not too long ago and so like most other kids my age - I'm strapped for cash even with a job. Hard to get started I guess. Here's my question:

I came across a fairly well kept 1995 Audi Cabriolet. I'm actually going to go and check it out today. I've never ownded a car before let alone purchase one. I asked for pictures of the exterior and interor and looks pretty well maintained, not abused. Paint is clean, no major dings dents or scratches. The interior seems to be well kept as well.

He says mechanically and electronically - everything works. As far as maintenance, he says the oil has been changed regularly, however, I don't think he's done the factory tune-ups or regularly suggested factory services. The car has 130,000 miles. He's asking $6,000 firm. If I do buy the car, I'd like to have it fully checked and serviced. I'm willing to maintain the car myself - I just don't want to be stuck with alot of costly repairs.

So more questions - how long do these cars run if well kept and maintained and serviced regularly?

How much do comprehensive tune-ups for the engine and transmission cost?

When I go to check it out tomorrow, what are some things that I should check? hoses? cables? wires? etc?

So... in the end, should I or shouldn't I buy this car? Any comments would be more than greatly appreciated. Thanks guys / gals if there are any.

Q

Old 05-01-2006, 01:19 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: hello hello - 1st car - 1st Audi - to buy or not to buy

Welcome to the forums. 6k sounds a little expensive to me. The 12 valve engine is quite capable and reliable so there's not too much to worry about generally. Don't go to Audi for maintainance. I'd find a local Euro shop who can help you. Give some a call for quotes on tune ups.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:55 AM

Definitely find a reputable non-dealer shop that understands Audis. Make sure you find out about the timing belt, that could cause some serious issues if it hasn't been replaced. Remember, buying a car is about research, having an independent mechanic check out the car, and NEGOTIATION. Firm is a relative term and changes with time.

Good luck,
Chef

Old 05-01-2006, 02:47 AM
1st Gear

lol... I was like... are people ignoring me? am I a nub? So thanks for responding Jestnom.

If you guys don't mind reading and telling me what I did right or wrong I'd really appreciate it. It's my first time buying a car. I've never owned one let alone purchase one. The price we settled @ was ~ $5600, down from $6 G's. I know it's a little more than I should've paid. But I really wanted this model and there aren't any similar models sold in the area. I plan on getting an additional 4yr / 60,000 mile warranty - PowerShield warranty from warrantydirect.

I actually met up with the seller earlier today and checked out the car; tried to get as much info about the car use and history. I tried to thoroughly examine everything. From paint, to find any non-flush parts exhibiting damage due to accident, mismatched paint, etc. And everything looked original and actually pretty good and no damage for a car with that much mileage - 130K. The exterior looked like the car only had ~ 60-80k miles.

Exterior:
There were some boils on the paint - maybe 3 different boils no more than an inch in diameter. No dents either except for 1 which is fairly small; or noticeable scratches. I don't personally know what causes paint to boil. It looked like original paint. As long as it doesn't rust, I'm cool with little blemishes. I'll just have to make sure I wash it thoroughly and get some good wax and sealant to repel the elements - Zaino Bro's products?. The door sills fit fairly tightly. Although, maybe 2 - 3 weather strips / seals were a little loose - but no rust when I looked closely. Any idea how to reattach or reseal those seals? The fabric or vinyl top looked in really good condition too. But again, I'll use some Raggtopp to seal that puppy up anyways.

the Engine:
I went under the hood, checked the oil - looked like a recent change of 10w-30w, not the thicker stuff to hide and muffle knocks and shakes. Transmission fluid looked like a healthy red. Coolant wasn't as green like new stuff - but it looked decent. All the major tubes were fairly stiff - not soft and mushy. While the car was in idle, I asked the seller to give it a bit of gas, no wierd muffled sounds came from the muffler / exhaust. I smelled the exhaust by holding my hand near the exhaust tubes and then smelled my fingers - no overwhelming smell of engine oil or gas. No colored smoke either. Throughout the test drive, the engine ran very smoothly. The gear shifts were smooth - but... the car definitely does lack in zip & power. Come to think of it, I actually forgot to ask about that sport thing next to the shifting lever. Any ideas? - it feels like a good cruiser.

It was actually pretty hot midday when I checked out the car. Hot enough to need the airconditioning which was good timing to check the AC. He turned on the AC while I was outside - no wierd whining noises. While inside, it smelled fresh and was nice and cool even on a low setting. The car didn't struggle, shake, rattle or roll () while the AC was on, so that's good.

However, when I was driving, the suspension feels worn. I enjoy driving and want my car to feel and handle confidently. So I'm willing to take it to midas or something to get new shocks and struts or whatever it needs. I'm just afraid it might be costly. Any ideas how or where I can go to get this checked and changed? This can wait I guess.

Another thing I wasn't so sure of was the braking. When stepping on the brakes... the brake pedal went down pretty far before I felt the brakes and car start slowing down. The brakes were definitely competent, it's just the depth of how far I have to step on the pedal is a little disconcerting. Any ideas?

Only another thing I know I need to have changed are the tires. I could probably rotate the tires and they'll last through the summer. I figured they last another 5-8 thousand more miles. I noticed the wheels didn't have balancing leads on them. The rims had clean spots in the shape where I think balancing leads were once attached. *** here's the thing. I was driving on a straight level road and let the steering wheel go, it held straight, so the alignment is good. However, while driving, the steering wheel didn't feel entirely solid / responsive and had a very minute about of vibration at highway speeds of about 70ish? Could this be due to the lack of balancing on the front wheels? Any ideas?

I have already called around town for price quotes how much an engine and tranny tune up would cost. They varied for ~$450 just for the engine, and another place quoted me $550'ish to do an engine tune-up and tranny tune-up as well as a complete flushing of the fluids and oils. I think I'll be doing this just to maintain the car for a peace of mind.

So umm... ya. All this took about hour and a half testing driving and looking @ everything. I don't mind spending money slowly making this car run like new and feel like new (suspension and steering). I just want to get some more peoples' opinion and advise on my decision.

Thanks guys. I really like the old look of the Audi's and I think and hope this will be a fun car for someone my age - 24.

erios

Old 05-12-2006, 01:32 AM
1st Gear

woot! I bought the audi cabrio - and let's just say I'm in love with it despite only having it for a week - the 1st weekend was sunny - perfect. I gave it an oil change, more fluids, flush and new tires - rides and cruises so smoothly. there was a rumble and I thought that was normal until I went in for an inspection. They were like ya... you need a new exhaust. So after forking over my last paycheck for the inspection, tires, oil change, and exhaust work along with all the other little essentials that needed to be replaced such as the general fluids, air filter, etc. - my car runs soooo smooth and soo quiet! It's awesome; especially when I hit ~ 2500 rpms - so much torque yet so refined, quiet, and smooth for such an old car. It serious runs and feels like it only has 60K miles when it actually has 130K miles. Let's just say, I'm hoping this will be the 1st of many audi's to come down the road for me to poop on - but I want to hold on to this baby for a long time. Girls in the sorority house across from me asked me to take them for a ride when I was putting the top down when i was bout to go for a cruise on the last sunny day we had . Well, whenever it stops raining in boston which isn't for another whole week and some more, I'll wash this baby and polish it w/ zaino and treat the inside, I'll post a pic or two. I luv this car!