New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just bought a 2001 S4 - new to this forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 04:13 AM
1st Gear
Default I just bought a 2001 S4 - new to this forum

Hello everyone, I just bought an Audi certified 2001 S4 - 21,600 miles, black ext., black and silver alcantara interior, with all options except navigation. This is my first Audi so I'm still trying to get familiar with it. I hope to educate myself through this forum. Just wanted to say hi.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:47 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: I just bought a 2001 S4 - new to this forum

Hey

Old 04-22-2005, 03:06 PM
6th Gear

Hey welcome to the forum. Congrats on the S4.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

Hey Jestnomen,

I had posted a message about 2 weeks ago about my purchase of a 2001 Audi certified S4 and you had welcomed me to the forum. Thank you and I apologize in advance for the lengthy post. In the last 2 weeks, I have noticed a few very troubling things about my car. I am hoping since you're the administrator of this forum, and knowledgable about Audis in general, you'll guide me as to what I should do. I really need some advice..!! Here are the problems:
1. Yesterday morning, after washing the car in my driveway, while I was drying it, I noticed some inconsistency in the paint finish on the front bumper. Closer inspection revealed that the passenger side of the bumper had a high-gloss factory-style finish, while the drivers side had a dull matte finish. One way to describe this is, my reflection in the dull side of the bumper was marred and unrecognizable, while the other side reflected clear. I am not an auto body expert, but this seemed unusual to me, so I decided to inspect other areas of the body more closely. I found that the rear driver side fender of the car had the same inconsistency in paint finish. Almost 80% of the panel was matt and reflected poorly. In the bright sunlight, I could even see regularly-spaced pits in the surface, as if the required filler and base-coat had never been applied. At this point, I started to panic. But there was more... The entire rear bumper had the same appearance as the driver's side half of the front - dull matte.
2. I decided to check out the underbody for any other tell-tale signs. Along either side of the car, just behind the under-body spoiler, I noticed a row of evenly spaced metal studs (I plan on taking a picture of this and posting it on the forum for you to get a better idea). These studs protruded enough to be visible as I stood at a distance without putting my head to the ground. At the time, I didn't know what to think. This morning, I came across a 2001 A4 in a parking lot outside a shopping area. So, I looked underneath from its sides to see if I found a similar pattern of studs. Well, I didn't..!! Just beyond the spoiler, there was a strip of metal (or plastic), running the entire length of the car's sides, concealing everything behind it.
3. I feel a strong low-frequency vibration (kind of like a continuous shudder) from the engine compartment when the car is idling at full stop. Moreover, immediately after I turn off the engine, I feel one last strong shudder before the engine dies.
4. I have also noticed that wind noise in the cabin is very conspicuous, even at low road speeds. I would think that for a luxury sports sedan of this caliber, this would be highly unusual.
5. The seams of the front and rear bumper are a bit too wide at the ends and thus not completely flush with the body frame.

So, I'm sure you'll ask me why I didn't inspect the car with meticulous detail before I bought it. Well, I figured since it was Audi certified, had a clean title and carfax record and was being sold at an Audi dealership, I need not be worried about such things. I am freaking out pretty badly now and I need some help to figure out the most appropriate course of action. First off, I would really, really appreciate if you could comment on the 5 items I've mentioned above. Secondly, I need help in deciding which of the following paths to pursue, or if there is another way to deal with this issue:
1. Go to the dealer I purchased the car from and demand an explanation.
2. Take the car to a different Audi dealer, ask them to check out the 5 items mentioned above, and take their analysis back to the dealer I purchased the car from.
3. Call Audi corporation of America and tell them my story.
4. Take the car to an independent mechanic or body shop and have it checked for body-frame damage. Take their report back to the Audi dealer or Audi corp.

If none of these sounds like a viable plan of action, what would you suggest I do? I would be indebted if you or anyone else on this forum could give me some guidance. I am not a wealthy person. I have been working full-time and driving a beater for the last 6 years to save up for a nice car like an Audi S4. I spent $27,500 on this purchase, which is a big chunk of change for me. I will likely be working overtime for a while to make my car payments. I've been in worse situations in my life before, and I'm willing to do what it takes to get out of this one. But I need some help from you guys. I realize you don't know me and that you have no obligation whatsoever to respond to my post, but I am hoping that you will understand my predicament and give me some advice.

Thanks in advance...!!
-Streetwolf

Old 05-02-2005, 12:43 AM
6th Gear

Wow that is a real bummer streetwolf. Taking the car to another Audi dealer for inspection is a great idea. Do NOT tell them what you are up to. Last thing you need is them calling the other dealer and trying to cover tracks. It sounds like the car sustained some pretty heavy damage. First you have to follow the chain of command. First go get it inspected, then complain to your dealer which you bought it from. If they do not remedy the situation then contact Audi of America about this. This is not a good Audi experience for you.

Old 05-02-2005, 02:18 AM
1st Gear

If I take it to a different Audi dealer, I shouldn't disclose the fact that the car is Audi certified, correct? I should just take it in for a full inspection as if I were planning on buying the car from someone, right? Is that what you are suggesting?

Old 05-02-2005, 09:21 AM
6th Gear

Well the dealer will probably know. I'm guessing they will look up it's service history in the computer. I don't know if i'd rather take it to the other dealer or a good body shop. Usually normal mechanics don't fix major body damage, thats what body shops do. They usulaly farm the work out to the body shop, so i'm not sure if the other Audi dealer will be able to spot if there is a unsafe condition with the car.

Old 05-02-2005, 05:18 PM
2nd Gear

i would take it to a local body shop, and just ask the guy to coment on the condition of the car. If you could get a written report of estimated damages. Just be staright forward with the guy, he would understand.

Old 05-02-2005, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the support guys. I plan on taking the car to a local body shop tomorrow. I will keep you posted as the situation develops. I hope it doesn't turn out to be as bad as I think it currently is.

Old 05-02-2005, 08:36 PM
2nd Gear

Good luck 2morrow, and keep us posted!

Quick Reply: I just bought a 2001 S4 - new to this forum