New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to buy A6 2.7t

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Default looking to buy A6 2.7t

hey,
i'm thinking about getting one of these and was wondering if there is anything i should look out for. i plan on doing some performance mods to it and will probably get a 6 spd. i've got a moded land rover now so i will be looking forward to having a car that is fun to drive on the road. also what kind of mpg are you guys getting on average
thanks

Old 03-15-2005, 06:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: looking to buy A6 2.7t

Our 2001 A-6 is bone stock except for the rims/tires. We get 22-25 MPG City and 27-30 MPG Hwy.

What to look out for? I am no expert but, some of the problems with my A-6. Coolent leaks. My radiator had a pinhole in it that would loose a litre every month or so. Our secondary water pump was puking too.

CV boots tend to go as well I just had one replaced @ 55K miles. Other than those issues the car is awesome. It handles great and is a delight to drive on the Interstate.

Good luck! We stumble across a 2001 A-6 Quattro 2.7T with a 6 speed at the stealership. We paid 25K for it but it has a 36/36 bumper to bumper warranty on it. We were able to finance for 36 months @ 2.9% interest.

Old 03-15-2005, 07:04 PM

also what kind of maintenance do these things require? and is it usually big stuff to go wrong or just little stuff that mess up on them. I'm sure it will be better than my rover that thing always has something wrong with it.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

If you mod it, like any turbo car, expect reliability problems.

I switched to synthetic oil in mine. The steelership will put in mineral oil. But, VW just released a tech bulliten that advises all dealerships to use synthetics in their 1.8T motor.

I personally think synthetic is the way to go. You have a turbo car the oil cooks you need synthetic.

I also rotate my own tires every 5K miles (when the oil change is performed) I inspect the brakes and drivetrain at that time. I found my tear in my CV boot and got it fixed before it turned into a bigger problem.

I am planning on a basic tune up every year including a new fuel filter, air cleaner, spark plugs and coolent flush. I am kind of **** when it comes to maintenance though. I check my tire pressure weekly too.

Other than that I would imagine basic maintenance is nothing more than any other car out there. These cars seem to be build quite solid and over engineered so I am not expecting many problems from mine.