New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major problems with 2011 A3 quattro S line - need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:45 AM
1st Gear
Angry Major problems with 2011 A3 quattro S line - need help

I'm a first time Audi owner, and have truly loved my A3 until 1 month ago. I purchased it as a certified pre owned 2011 Audi A3 S line quattro, with 5K miles, at Rector Motor in Burlingame in early 2012, with extended warranty (new car + CPO). It has less than 30K miles and is still well within the warranty period.

It ran great until 1 month ago. Battery died, was able to jump start, dealer replaced battery.

Fine for 2 weeks then check engine light persistently on for 4 days. Took it back to the dealer, was told 'everything is fine', and was given the car back.

1 week later, it stalled WHILE DRIVING at slow speeds, and could not be jump started. Towed to Audi Oakland and service advisor witnessed that it would not start, but it subsequently started, and continues to have an unpredictable, intermittent problem. Spent 2 weeks at Audi Oakland with drive tests (mechanic drove it home, etc), and I was told 'there were no fault codes', and they returned the vehicle to me without a diagnosis or a fix, despite my concern about safety.

I picked up the vehicle Friday AM, and Friday PM, it again stopped unexpectedly while driving. Towed for the 2nd time to Audi Oakland. Decided to go back to where I purchased it, so towed to Rector Motor in Burlingame. Service supervisor said they will check it out to the best of their ability, but if they cannot replicate the problem within 3 days, I have to take the car back because 'Audi's policy states that you cannot have the loaner for more than 3 days'. I reiterated my concerns with safety and that I will not take the vehicle back until the problem has been solved, and they reiterated their policy.

I've been in touch with a supervisor at Audi customer care and have that person in communication with the service supervisor at Rector Motor, but so far have made no headway. I clearly bought a lemon, but the lemon law doesn't apply since I am technically the 2nd owner, and it's out of the 18mos, 18K miles period. I have insisted that the vehicle is unsafe to drive and that if cannot be reliably repaired, that it needs to be replaced. If anyone has suggestions, please share. I am truly disheartened with my experience and am surprised that the warranty does not cover replacing a vehicle that has had multiple undiagnosable, irreparable failures and is unsafe to drive. I would appreciate any advice.

Last edited by yakimama; 12-30-2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:40 AM
1st Gear

I think you should take it to a different dealership that is willing to take their time to diagnose it.

I've seen something somewhat similar to this that has happened to a 2009-2010 A5 2.0t. The car would intermittently not start. No fault codes stored, battery tested good and fuel pressure was also good. Come to find out that the high pressure pump at times would act up and cause this to happen. This took more than 2 weeks to figure out since no faults were stored and everything electrically/mechanically seemed fine.

Hopefully you can find a dealership that has a good mechanic who is willing to take his time to address your concern. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

Auditech616 - Thank you for sharing your info, and happy new year! I heard that Rector Motor in Burlingame had a very reputable service and mechanic department, which is why I took it there. They were very concerned about getting their loaner vehicle returned and thus wanted to return my vehicle to me today without any resolution. I returned their loaner vehicle and had several conversations early this AM with their service supervisor and Audi of America supervisor, before painstakingly convincing them to keep the car for 'another 3 day period' for investigation, at which time, if the symptoms have not been reproduced, their plan remains to 'release the vehicle' to me since 'nothing is wrong with it'. Is there another local dealership in the Bay Area, CA, that you would recommend who will take their time in diagnosing and repairing my vehicle? I'm baffled that I'm dealing with this with a vehicle that's still under warranty and less than 30K miles.

Last edited by yakimama; 01-06-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

I would highly recommend you making a video with your cell phone showing you trying to start the car when this happens.

At least this way the dealership won't think your crazy and making stuff up. Hopefully they figure it out so you won't have to do so.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

I do have a video, of the service supervisor at Audi Oakland being unable to start the vehicle, and one of the other service reps also saw the problem the first time it was towed in! At this point, I've lost too much sleep over it, and contacted the used car manager at Rector Motor. If there's 'nothing wrong with it', then they should buy it back from me for the price it's worth. It's been such a horrible experience, that I'm a last time Audi owner. Sad, because I loved that car. It's just their customer service and warranty that is dismal. But starting the new year off on a good note, I'm looking forward to a new car that drives safely!

As far as technical things, they haven't replaced any parts on it to date, because they 'don't want to throw parts at it' if they 'can't replicate the problem'. I've asked them to look into replacing the ECU. Not holding my breath. Audi customer 'care' does not care.

Last edited by yakimama; 01-07-2015 at 05:35 AM.