New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new member from nor cal. future owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:52 PM
1st Gear
Default new member from nor cal. future owner

Hi my name is oscar. Im more of a ford guy and used to be an a mustang forum, but since i have a kid now i wanted something family but sporty at the same time and ive always liked the audi's. So im hoping to buy an 01 s4 audi that ive seen on CL.

I dont know that much about audi's, but im hope i learn alot and get some help from this forum. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:39 AM
4th Gear

Welcome to the forum, and fatherhood!

A B5 S4 is an awesome car, I've been thinking about getting one myself. However, as a current B5 A4 owner, I can assure you that it won't take long for your little one to outgrow the back seat. There really is NO leg room back there...

My suggestion: a similar year A6. It has the same 2.7 bi-turbo engine, in a slightly bigger car. Same mod-ablility if that's what you're looking for. It's not as sporty as the S4, but if it's your daily kid mover... well, sacrifices have to be made.

Shortly, the official welcoming member will stop by and welcome you. He drive an '02 A6. He can tell you more about it.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:08 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Willkommen to the forums

I have to agree with what brad says. A6 is waaaaay much better for back seat room/comfort. Decent power/weight. handling is good and suprisingly light for a very heavy car, but when you push it a little too far into the corner...well let's just say bad things start happening. Suspension upgrades can do wonders for the handling, but the ride will suffer.

the 2.7T in either the B5 S4 or the A6 is a HUGE pain to work on but there are a lot of good folks here and other places on teh webz that can be tremendous help when there are problems

good luck

have fun

Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will think about it because I love the s4 model and I fell in love with the car im hoping to buy. And since most of the time he rides in my gf's car I think ill get me an s4

Another question, are the parts really expensive and hard to find? Because my brother said theyre pretty expensive. Thats what has me holding me back and thinking about it.
Thanks again!

Old 02-24-2012, 05:40 AM
4th Gear

Places like esctuning.com, blauparts.com, and a couple others are a huge resource for DIYers... Parts are a little more expensive than your typical American made clunker, but what really gets you is if you can't do your own wrenching. If you don't know the difference between a ratchet and a BFH (big ******* hammer), then these are definitely not the car for you.

Check out the S-line section for some good threads on what to look for before buying, what the common fail parts are, and good places to find repair parts and DIY write ups.