New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb here, just sayin hi!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Default Newb here, just sayin hi!

Hi everyone, Well I am new to the Audi world and so im just sayin hi!

I am a 21 year old Chinese (ABC) medical student/ EMT/ Medical Manager who is a Subaru Fanatic at heart. I purchased (with my own hard earned money) a WRX, and a RS a few years back, but have sold them both to pay for school. Im currently driving a beat up 94 Nissan Altima and after almost a year of driving it, im ready to go back to AWD. I am currently thinking about buying a 98 2.8 A4 Quattro MT that needs a new Tranny and clutch, for $1k as my DD. It has 154k miles, and the CEL is throwing a 02 sensor code. I dont have alot of cash, but i figure i could spend some money and get a car thats reliable and fun to drive.

I do have one concern, I heard from a friend that Audi's have this issue that after a set milieage, the CEL will go off and you have to do major servicing (ie. Timing belts, water pump... ect.) or you cant clear the code. This would be a huge upset to my situation if i get the car ant this happends. The previous owner says he brought it to a mechanic who says the belts dont need to be changed yet. I have no idea when the last time they were done. I dont mind getting them done if it doesnt dig too deep into my already drained wallet. Im willing to spend around 2-2.5k including the cost of the car....

Well i hope that i dont sound like a cheap ***, but at the moment i dont have alot of money, but i need something reliable as both a student and an EMT. I generally do pager calls, so its very important for me to have a reliable car.

Well again, hello to everyone, and thanks for your input.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja
Default RE: Newb here, just sayin hi!

welcome to the forums !

im the closet scooby fan here lol.. dont know how many times of contemplated
getting an STi.

My vote is to try & find something more reliable / better condition.
try finding something w/ service records so you have a better idea what your getting into.
timing belt / water pump etc. are all things to stay on top of. so best to know when they were last serviced.
be patient - itll be better in the long run.

good luck on the hunt !

Old 03-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Default RE: Newb here, just sayin hi!

thanks for the advice... do you know where i could find myself an a4 for around 2500...(i know thats like dirt cheap... lol)