New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get an A3 Sportback SE???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Default Should I get an A3 Sportback SE???

Hi, New Member here

, 1st Post (so go easy and apols in advance if I asking the same questions as hundreds of others, I've read many but you could help me out from trawling them and reading them all in my research and choice for this car with quick 1 liner replies)

Been looking at new diesel cars I'm now blinded with choice, test drives and brochures but now seem to have narrowed it down to about. 2 choices..........the A3 or the VW Golf PLus 1.9 Tdi SE (no climate)... same engine

I've had 6 company cars in the last 18 years (1 every 3 years), so i've driven many cars..............

The last 3 cars were diesels, Cavalier 1.7 Tdi, Citroen Xsara Saloon 2.0 HDi (90 BHP), Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 Hdi (90 BHP) Exclusive -
I know these are not in the same league as the A3 but I have been priced capped before in my choice.......so not able to select anything too pricey........

I now have company car cash to do my own thing and it looks like I am able to get an A3 1.9 Tdi SE model within my budget.........

I had a test drive yesterday although it was a 2.0 Tdi Sportback Sport model (no cruise control as with the 1.9 TDi SE model I'd get) and it was great (other than the fact the sales guy left 2 footballs rolling around in an otherwise empty boot (I could hear this random bumping but did not know what it was)............at least it wasn't the car...........

Anyway, from my test drive.......(I was let out on my own and i said i'd be 20 minutes but I was 70 minutes!!!, I was having that much fun!!)
....in brief, 1st thoughts...........and from memory

Pro's - nice ride, good acceleration (it really took off in all gears the 1.9 may not be so lively), lovely layout controls etc.........great steering, great interior and controls layout, CD/Radio really nice sound.....climate control was very nice, simple and split if required (my wife hated the last climate control, because it was not split it was usually off when she was in the car), the car felt very solid and very safe...........(that usually means they are..................)

Not so Pro's........The A3 looks a bit dated now (how old is this model?), compared to some of the other models......., If I sat too high the speedo and rev counter were obscured a little by the steering wheel (even adjusted to it's highest point), I like an elevated drive position but not too high and i'm average height (however this was better than the BMW 1 series Diesel i tested last week where I could not see most of the speedo or the rev counter poss because of the steerting wheel it put me off altogether......I would not want one........

The central arm rest when in the lowered position interfered with the handbrake use, should it be up all the time when driving? or is this a design fault........I thought the 2 steel (are they isofix) brackets? sticking out of the front passenger seat looked ugly in a nice car, should they be exposed like that?

Rear visibility was not great for reverse manouvre'ing although this is a semi-estate car so only to be expected. I've had a Laguna Estate (Petrol) and this had a large rear windscreen - I suppose i've got the parking sensors to rely on? (or have I ??)............

Service intervals - the Audi Uk website says expect around 20K service intervals (based on their fleet survey), is this correct, I'll be doing about 20k per annum and a mix of urban and motorway............. typical service costs?, should I get dealer service or others but only using official audi parts so as not to invalidate the warranty and save money? (or does it?) - please advise.......

Finally - your views please on pro's/cons..........why I should - why I shouldn't - i'm sure you'll give me both sides......... any recemt recalls? any security issues? - weaknesses'????????

All advise and assistance much appreciated over this weekend.............

I'm likely to take the plunge one way or another next week...............

Regards......

The almost Audi Kid