New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trying to learn about the S4

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 01:46 AM
Default trying to learn about the S4

Hi guys. I currently have a '97 BMW M3 but was thinking of switching to an S4 Avant for practicality reasons. I hate the thought of parting with my M3 as it's easily the best car I have ever owned, but 5 doors and AWD drive would sure make my life easier.

I'm hoping to find all sorts of good info on the S4 on this forum so any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:10 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: trying to learn about the S4

Welcome to the forum KUpolo!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. The info is well received by all and we are here to help anyone with the need. I hope you find it to your liking as well.

If you're not familiar with this forum, please click the START HERE! link. There you will find a forum vocab list, an Audi forum terminology list and an Audi lexicon list. They should be very helpful to you if you're not familiar with the jargon.

Please feel free to ask any question, but double check the archives first. Many questions have been archived and, quite often, the answers are comprehensive.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Site Moderator

Mmmmm... S4 twin turbo..... upgradable to RS4 specs.... *drool*

Old 08-27-2004, 01:57 AM
2nd Gear

Well, ImolaS4 is a very good person to talk to about that. Welcome, and I hope you like it here.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

Hi mate, I think I may be able to help you here...I had a 325 Sport Saloon before moving to Audi S4 4.2 Quattro Avant. The reason was partly practicality (which is why I went for the Avant and not the drop top or Saloon/Sedan) and emotion...that 4.2 V8 is simply filthy to listen to.

What are my impressions...it made my 325 feel like it was a sponge round corners even though it was an excellent handling motor. The engine is sublime if a bit gutsy on the juice. The space is a god send (always irritated me the lack of space in the 3 series) and the Quattro is simply awesome - especially in the wet. I have to say also, that the S4 is very subtle. Only people who appreciate and know cars know what you have so you get alot of respect whereas BMW M3s aren't so much.

The built quality is equal if not better and things are better thought out in my opinion. Oh and the wife loves the heated, leather Recaro sports seats. Mine has a cooler compartment in the glove box as well which everyone goes nuts over. The BOSE sound system is to die for ---- will go as loud as you can bear with absolutely no distortion (I have a BOSE in my living room and bedroom too!).

Bad points...drinks a bit - both Petrol/Gas and Oil. Nothing else.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Obzidian

Old 09-08-2004, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

I agree with obzidian. the 4.2 liter engine sings a sweet sweet song, and quattro just can't be beat. I've just hit 5k with my 04 S4 sedan and I am lovin' every mile. no complaints at all. (except the price of gas of course [&:])

Old 09-09-2004, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

Lol, the price of Gas whitefolks? Over in the UK it's 80p/ltr (roughly $5/gallon). OUCH!!

Old 09-10-2004, 12:34 AM
1st Gear

lol, yes I suppose you have supreme bitching rights, even your beer is pricey. what you need is a honda or a vespa on the side. ha