New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very slow acceleration and shaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:00 PM
1st Gear
Question Very slow acceleration and shaking

hey im having trouble with my 1999 a4 1.8T quattro which has a real hard time accelerating and shakes uncontrollably when on R and D but perfectly fine on P or N. anybody know what it could possibly be??

Old 02-10-2010, 02:38 PM

is your check engine light on? when mine did that it was a bad coil on my number 3 cylinder. it would rev up and shudder a lil in park but in drive under power it was bad.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

yeah it does! and when i step on the gas too much the engine almost sounds like my dads tahoe a roaring sound when it should be pretty quite and starts blinking.
i was finally able to scan it last friday and it only showed one code: P0300
and checked all of my coils, all were relatively new except for the 1st one closest to the bumper, that one was clearly broken so i bought one yesterday and was hoping that would of fixed it but its still acting the same? ive changed the oil and the oil filter, gotten 4 new spark plugs but still the same and the filter looks in good conditions still but i might just replace that one as well?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:46 PM

try replacing your fuel filter, its under the car by the right hand rear wheel, its very easy to replace, i just replaced mine cuz i had no power at all would rev above 3000 rpm. and check to make sure you reattached the ground for the coils.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:49 PM

When the misfire monitor detects a misfire, it will trigger the check engine light with the specific cylinder number as the last digit in the P030X code. For instance cylinder 1 misfire is P0301, cylinder 2 is P0302 etc. In this case there are either multiple cylinders misfiring, or the computer simply can't determine the specific cylinder, and so it throws a the P0300 engine code. i would clear the check engine light and then go and drive the car to see if the light comes back on, if it does it should give you a specific cylinder reading

Old 02-10-2010, 04:27 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb

Cool yeah i'll try to get that done this weekend hopefully.
today since i replaced the 1st ignition coil ima go to my friends house to get the code cleared and try running it again to see if it works or what code will pop up. thanks & yeah if its not that ima go get that fuel filter this weekend
i'll post how it went sometime around 9 or 10pm

Old 02-10-2010, 07:13 PM

all right sounds good, id deff change that fuel filter tho

Old 02-11-2010, 09:49 PM
1st Gear
Question

hey didn't have time to scan it yesterday but this morning was looking for all of the vacuum hoses but only found two of the major ones..
then i decided to disconnect the hose which connects the manifold and the intercooler and found that it had a bit of oil inside of it!!! would that be something to take into consideration?? and stuck my finger in the manifold and it also had a bit of oil. i did overfill the engine oil by mistake by a quart about a month ago! would that be my problem??? since everything appears to be normal

Old 02-12-2010, 12:34 AM

well first off did you empty a quart out or did you drive it that way? as far as the oil in the tube its not a big deal, your pcv valve pulls oil from the crankcase a little bit and it recircs, not a huge thing. being over full a quart can ruin your cat converter and build extra pressure in the crankcase, if you havent drained it do it asap, it only takes 3.5 quarts to fill your engine anyways, i run a larger filter and get 4 quarts, i would deff change that fuel filter and get it on the code reader and see what codes it pulls up, let me know the numbers and ill tell you what they are (example p0296 or sumthin like that)

Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 PM
1st Gear
Angry

i drove it like that for a week then drained one quart out!!! but would that one week been the cause for the way its acting up??? and as i said i found oil in the intercooler and manifold present to this day.

oh and i was flooring it yesterday and later on noticed on red lights and once i got home that it no longer shakes when on R and D so PRND432 are all the same when the car is not moving when im pressing on the brake and changing gears.. just two days ago it would shake uncontrollably when on R and D??

so im getting a new K&N Flilter and fuel filter this tues or wed hopefully and rescanning it.
im hoping one of those will help out a bit more since ive changed almost everything and the car is sluggish and wont accelerate properly

Quick Reply: Very slow acceleration and shaking