Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Just installed KO4s. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:59 AM
1st Gear
Default Just installed KO4s. Now what?

I'll try and keep this short and to the point. One of my turbos blew on my Allroad 2.7T. This is my daily driver, so I of course had to get it repaired asap. Luckily, I already had a pair of KO4s (part of the deal when I bought the car). I gave them to my mechanic to install and I now have the car back, but....

Ahhh...can you see where this is going???

Yep, a stock 2.7T with a pair of KO4s. It gets me to work, but it really doesn't work.

So here is my question...what else am I going to need to complete this upgrade? I need a parts list and opinions on the different companies I can buy the parts from (pro and cons).

Normally, I love reading the forums, to learn and educate myself, but I just don't have time right now to sift through the hundreds of posts on this subject. Normally, I would, but I feel a little pressed for time as the car just doesn't drive right now.

Again, I am looking for a list of parts that I am going to need and opinions on the different parts suppliers I could purchase the parts from (AWE, Autospeed, ECS, Etc.)

Thanks

Old 11-03-2008, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

A little clarification on what I mean by 'the car doesn't drive right'. Basically, when I 'step on it', the car really starts to pull strong (noticably more the the KO3s), but only for a breif moment, then something pulls in the reigns and the power all but disappears. I am guessing the computer doesn't know what to do with all the extra air it's getting, but I don't know.

I believe I may have a GIAC chip installed for stock turbos (that's what the previous owner told me). If I do, would that be any help?

Old 11-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm make believe

What you need depends on the tuner you have. If you have GIAC, you need to see what their fueling requirements are for the upgrade. You are most likely out of fuel or the timing is being pulled way back since there is way to much air.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:15 AM
1st Gear

cincyTT, my thoughts exactly. The car feels as if it's protecting itself. Lots of air. Not enough fuel. Computer senses mixture is way too lean and retards the heck out of the timing, hence huge drop in power.

So what you are saying is that I first need to pick a chip maker, like giac or whomever, then work with them on what other parts they recommend I have installed. Is that right?

Old 11-04-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm make believe

If your car already has a chip, they will upgrade the file for far less than buying a new one. Each tuner uses different stuff so you need to know what fueling goes along with the chip. So find out which chip you have and go from there. Also, you may want to lower the psi so your car doesnt hit the wall.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

I guess I will have to find the ecu and pull the chip. I am sure I can find a 'how to' on that with a little searching.

I like the idea about lowering the psi. Sounds like a nice precuationary action, however, I haven't a clue how to accomplish that.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm make believe

Not sure about the 2.7t, but all the cars have a stock boost controller. On the 1.8t it is the n75, you just bypass that and run strait off the wastegates. This will keep the psi at 5

Old 11-12-2008, 02:51 AM
1st Gear

These guys helped me with all the misc parts on my turbo swap. --> http://jhmotorsports.com

Old 11-12-2008, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

That's a very interesting idea. I haven't heard of that before. I shall do a little research on the 2.7T.

On another forum I was told that the KO4s should run fine on my car as is, just won't be getting max performance, and suggested that I get my car checked out first. I think that's good advise. Now I need to find a tuner shop for Audi's somewhere between St Louis and LA.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:20 AM
1st Gear

I'm assuming you have the RS4 air inlet piping from the air distributor to the KO4 turbines. I can't imagine it having been installed with out those anyway. That said, the tiptronic transmission can not handle full stage 3 K04 upgrades with out Level 10 tranny upgrades(read:super expensive) As an inhouse GIAC dealer and AWE level 2 dealer, If you get me your ecu number i can check on the server and see if we have a stage 3 minus file. The tip trans should be able to handle that much anyway though it's not usually the best idea to upgrade any non modified tip equipped car past K03 software and exhaust. We def have stg 3 minus files for std A6 2.7 tip cars and B5 S4 tips.
If the software for your ecu box number is available, you need that, a Bosch Motorsports 5 bar FPR, fresh set of PFR6Q NGK's and at least the 225 Audi TT diverter valves, preferably a pair of Baileys.

Quick Reply: Just installed KO4s. Now what?