Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

MetalMan's 1.8T FrankenTurbo (F4H-L, F21) Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan

I constantly try to improve gas mileage. Engine brake all the time, let off the gas 1/4 mile or so before coming up to a red light, normally I don't hit more than 0-2psi while accelerating, and keep plenty of distance between my car and the car in front of me. This behavior also allows my brakes to last longer, and in general is far better for the car/environment/wallet. Not to mention it makes driving far less stressful. Naturally I gotta throw in a 2nd gear WOT pull every once in a while though
We have very similar driving styles. I couldn't explain the way I drive better...
Seems pretty doable though. As long as I'm not going down to 15 or 16 MPGs I'm happy. It's my DD and I'm planning on keeping it that way for a long time so that matters to me.
Going to be putting coils on my car this weekend so we'll see how that goes but my next project is going to be a frankenturbo for sure.
I'm likely going to do it in stages though just so I can keep myself entertained and not have to wait so long to get going!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:47 AM

I wish more people had a similar driving style. What really makes me cringe is SUVs and trucks accelerating while coming to a red light... seems like the most retarded thing ever. If the general population understood that using brakes WASTES gas then everyone would be better off. But alas, not everyone has an opportunity to think about these things as I do (mechanical engineering degree; we understand energy quite well).

Anyways, doing things in stages is a great way to go! Just make sure to keep your end-goal in mind to help save money in the long run. It's good you're learning about this stuff now, so you're not like me and buy 3 sets of injectors, 3 tunes, and 2 FMICs, for example.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:03 AM
1st Gear

Couldn't agree more.

Sounds good though.
I'm pretty busy this weekend but this coming week I'll put together a rough draft of the stages that I'm considering and run them by you to make sure were on the same page!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 AM

Sounds like a plan to me

Old 08-27-2012, 12:41 AM

Finally installed my Prosport oil pressure sender, and wired the pressure sender to the oil pressure gauge. This gauge is installed in my instrument cluster replacing the analog clock (it stopped working). I bet this is the cleanest oil pressure gauge installation in any B5 chassis car Its power comes from the fuel pump relay (same goes for my wideband gauge at the left).

Video demonstration (the oil pressure gauge does a needle sweep when it's first powered up):

Old 08-30-2012, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

Awesome! That must have taken more than 5 or 10 minutes...

Rough draft on parts list for my build... Still need to figure out why my new coilovers are clunking every time i hit a bump..

Anyways.

Frankenturbo - 1100

New MAF housing for tune? - 75 bucks ebay

United Motorsports tune stage 3 - Audi B5 A4 AEB1.8T Performance Software | UnitedMotorSport.net - 600

630cc Injectors - Audi B5 A4 Quattro 1.8T > Engine > Fuel > Injectors > ES#252142 630cc Siemens Injectors - INJG630AEB-4 - 250

Wideband - AEM Electronics 30-5130 - AEM Electronics Analog Wideband Air/Fuel UEGO Gauge Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com - 200

AFPR - Audi B5 A4 Quattro 1.8T > Engine > Fuel > Pressure Regulator > ES#5271 Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator - 001564ECS01A - 150

Fuel Pressure Gauge - Fuel Pressure Gauge, 034 - Spec - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen - 25

MBC - Audi B5 A4 Quattro 1.8T > Engine > Turbocharger > Boost Control > ES#4252 Manual Boost Controller - Black - FMBV050 - 50

Labree LBGT6 HFC - LaBree Motorsports - 350

CXRacing FMIC - cxracing.com: CXRACING FMIC Intercooler Kit For 94-01 Audi A4 B5 - 400

This look right?
I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff but this is my basic outline. Want to stay under 3500..........

Old 08-30-2012, 04:11 PM

You could definitely save money over what you have listed.

-MAF housing: you can select the MAF housing option when buying your FrankenTurbo kit, for $50 (save $25 over your $75 estimate)
-630cc injectors: you can get 4 of these from most places for $200 + shipping... I used Mike @ Ringer-Racing (save $50)
-MBC: I personally use the BoostValve unit, and it can be selected as an option from the FrankenTurbo site when buying the FT kit ($50)
-if you already have an upgrade DV, you can use that and remove from the options on the FT kit, to save $50

I get all of that totaling to $3075, and IMO that's doing it more or less right the first time. I've probably spent double that... please don't make my mistake

Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 PM
1st Gear
Default data log and boost issues!

Hi guys sorry am new on here and dont know how to throw up a new post,
av got some logs i need some people to look at, as my 1.8t gt2871r is cutting boost after a second! its driving me MAD!!
any help will be great
cheers aaron

Old 08-30-2012, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
You could definitely save money over what you have listed.

-MAF housing: you can select the MAF housing option when buying your FrankenTurbo kit, for $50 (save $25 over your $75 estimate)
-630cc injectors: you can get 4 of these from most places for $200 + shipping... I used Mike @ Ringer-Racing (save $50)
-MBC: I personally use the BoostValve unit, and it can be selected as an option from the FrankenTurbo site when buying the FT kit ($50)
-if you already have an upgrade DV, you can use that and remove from the options on the FT kit, to save $50

I get all of that totaling to $3075, and IMO that's doing it more or less right the first time. I've probably spent double that... please don't make my mistake
Sweet this is the help I was lookin for! If I could do this all for around 3 grand that would be goooooood. Where did you buy your frankenturbo kit from?

Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Stealthquattro
Hi guys sorry am new on here and dont know how to throw up a new post,
av got some logs i need some people to look at, as my 1.8t gt2871r is cutting boost after a second! its driving me MAD!!
any help will be great
cheers aaron
Hi, some quick things: is your engine module holding any fault codes? Are you on a MBC or N75? Have you checked for boost leaks? Any shaft play on the turbo? Condition of engine/spark plugs/air filter/fuel filter/etc.?

Originally Posted by MyA4Mobs
Sweet this is the help I was lookin for! If I could do this all for around 3 grand that would be goooooood. Where did you buy your frankenturbo kit from?
I bought mine straight from the source:
F21L hybrid turbocharger kit for longitudinal 1.8T

Quick Reply: MetalMan's 1.8T FrankenTurbo (F4H-L, F21) Build Thread