Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Question about the turbo while the car is still new.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:38 AM
1st Gear
Default Question about the turbo while the car is still new.

Hey everyone. I picked up a 2007 A4 2.0T last week and I'm loving the car so far. I want to take care of it right from the beginning, especially with the turbo. This being the first car with a turbo I've ever owned, I have a quick question.

I've heard that after driving the car, when you park, you should sit and let it idle for a few minutes before turning it off. Is this a necessity after normal driving or does this only apply after a hard driving session? Tried searching this forum section but couldn't find anything.

One more thing, what would be a good first mod for this car and do you suggest breaking it in first before modding. Thanks for everyone's help and I'm looking forward to learning a lot from all of you. Thanks again.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Default RE: Question about the turbo while the car is still new.

its a good habit of letting the turbo cool before turning the car off.
you do that so that oil wont cook in the turbo.
If you dont like ideling, you can get a turbo timer.
after normal, not powerfull drive you can stand like 30 sec, after highway stand 1min-1.5, after a hard drive stand like 3 min. u can do more or less, or do nothing. thats just my times. If you would have EGT you could just check with the guage.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:44 PM
1st Gear

The best first mod for ANY turbo Audi is a software re-flash and newDV. You might wanna give it 1000 miles or so though.

So what are the details on your new A4? Auto/Manual? Frontrak or Quattro? Either way congrats on your new car, hope you enjoy it thoroughly, but I'm sure you will.

That new FSI designis pretty nifty. Definitely feels like a pretty spirited motor, even on the less then impressive CVT tranny.

Have Fun!

Old 02-09-2007, 03:38 AM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: kakarot

after normal, not powerfull drive you can stand like 30 sec, after highway stand 1min-1.5, after a hard drive stand like 3 min. u can do more or less, or do nothing. thats just my times. If you would have EGT you could just check with the guage.

time idling is dependent on boosting/hard driving. If you drive the last few minutes without going nuts on the boost you dont need to let it run more than 15 secs if at all.

When you are on the highway you are not spinning the turbo generating heat so i dont see how that would require any more time idling.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:58 PM

yeah at any point when you idle the turbo will cool. so if you drive hard for a little then you get stopped at a light for 40 seconds your turbo will be pretty cool. for just normal driving i would give at least a 10 sec cool regardless of what kind of driving you were doing.

and your turbo is always spinning our hairdryers are to small not to. so cincyTT if your turbo isnt spinning on the highway then something is wrong with your car

Old 02-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm make believe

Yeah its spinning but the wastegate is open and the wheels is not going nearly fast enough to create boost let alone heat. What i said was the spinning is not generating heat not the wheel was at a dead stop.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:42 PM

one: the wastegate is always open to the required bost setting.
Two: when taht wheel spins its spinning at well more than 10k RPMs and any rotation will create heat. its called friction

Old 02-10-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm make believe

i like how you take what i say and inflate it. When the wheel is spinning at vacuum/idle it is not creating heat above and beyond what the egt are all ready making it.

So what your saying is your wastegate opens at 5psi? Thats what the stock wastegate is set for. Cause thats weird, mine didnt open till 11psi on mine, and now it doesnt open till 17, but the wastegate is set to 5psi, hhmmm.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:28 PM

the waste gate is set to allow exhaust gasses to escape around the turbo. you hit 11 psi or 17 psi because more gasses are passing through the turbo as the engine speeds increase.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm make believe

do you have any idea of what is going on? If you dont know how a wastgate/mbc work you really shouldnt be telling people who do how things work. The boostcontroller (n75, mbc, ebc) bleeds off the extra boost before it gets to the wastegate to keep it closed longer.

Plus no stupid comment/opinion on the heat/friction?

Quick Reply: Question about the turbo while the car is still new.