Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

What would be a good turbo for a 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:27 PM
1st Gear
Default What would be a good turbo for a 3.0L

Just wondering what everyone thinks a good turbo would be for a 3.0. Or would it be better to do a twin setup if so which set of twin would work well. (I'm not looking for 50 hp here either, if im gonna spend the money i want at least 120-150 or as close to 400 hp at the crank with low boost around 5-7 psi. With a chance to hit over 500hp with new lower end.) I know what your all sayin i'm insane but i'm not i know it can be done, its just gonna take some money, and alot of time. Atleast give me your thoughts.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:12 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: What would be a good turbo for a 3.0L

Whatever you go with, just make sure you use ball bearing turbos so it spools way faster. We you thinking of remote mount or traditional? Also a key factor

Old 05-01-2007, 12:22 PM

7 psi wont get you to 400, it will get you to about 300ish.
its too bad that 3.0 can only go as high as 10psi safly. which adds up to 335HP or so. Going higher is a chance to screwing up something.

In anycase, 400 is not reacheble safly on stock internals. Maybe if you do alternative fule as propane/methane/E85 then you could probably rach 350HP safe.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm make believe

7psi is not the same, turbo to turbo. 7psi on a ko3 is nothing compaired to a 2871r, which is nothing compared to a gt42r. You get much more cfm/psi and less heat. Also a properly sized journal barring turbo can spool very fast will a properly sized housings.

A pair of gt28r's or t3s60's would make a killer dual set up or a larger t3t4 60trim would make tons of power also.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:13 PM

umm, boost is in direct relationship to cfm, each turbo would have same cfm at the same psi, taking into the acount same efficiency.
in anycase, there is engeniring behind sizing up a turbo, didnt do it for the 3.0L yet, so cant tell which turbo would be best.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm make believe

so your going to tell me7psi on a ko3 is the same as 7psi on a gt42r? Flow (cfm) is so much greater at 7psi on the gt42, thus much more hp.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

What weighs more?
1) A ton of fat chicks
2) A ton of feathers
3) A ton of Honda Civics being turned into paper weights?
(A ton refereing to 2000lbs, not a lot of)

In any case, they all weigh the same, kind of like 7psi is the same as 7psi and one or the other does not make substantially more power at that 7psi. Agreed, the less it has to work, the cooler the air flow, but it's a turbo, how cool can it be when it gets pumped out? Not much of a difference

Old 05-02-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm make believe

next you guys are gonna try to tell everyone 7psi on a turbo is the same as 7psi on a supercharger

so since you guys are SOOOOOOO smart, please explain how you get ~190whp with a ko3s at 20psi, and get ~300whp on a 50trim at 20psi?

You guys really need to learn turbos before making stupid posts.

www.turbobygarrett.com please read and stop posting.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:57 PM

k, if you want a clash of knoledge, then I won right now!!!!

The 20psi usually referred as ether peak or average. but ignoring that, considering two different turbos. that run at 20psi for example.
We go into efficiencies, k03 is more efficient that gt28. The k03 is also made for midrange, while gt28 is made for high end. Going from that, your values that you presented that k03 gives190HP and GT28 is 300HP at the same psi validate the statement before. Also the rating are made at theres peak. The peak for k03 is lower on the RPM range as the Audi made it to feel like high displacement engine, and not like a honda, high rev no torque. If to really compate this two turbos they flow the same amount, or CFM at overlaping working area. To really go in detail, they produce equal amount of torque on the overlaping range as well.

The CFM rating of a turbo is a diferent thing. The engine can take so much air at specific boost. If engine is running lets say 14.7psi of boost, then engine is using twice as much air that nature desighned it for. The rating is important for the turbo becouse a gt4x wont work where a small engine is present, just becouse engine wont generate enough exaust flow to spin it.

If to consider K03 to GT28 that run at the same boost, and K03 is more efficient, then the charge temperature be lower, producing more dense air, and making more power.

7pis is 7pis, density is density. Air flow is only required to match a turbo or SC right. Which comes from the RPM of the engine + Displacment of the engine + wanted boost = air flow (taking away the eff, temp, and density), power is directly conected to density and cfm, which directly conected to temperature of the charge and air flow, which directly conected to boost, efficiency, and engine NA displacment.

I am going to stop here, becouse I dont want to write a book on it. If you want to learn about it, read couple books, or ask me, couse I did read books.

This was answer to a neeb question!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

GT30 wg is a good turbo IMO. Just keep it cool. Make everythign as short route as possible(IC pipng), oil cooler, ceramic coat (manifold intake and exhaust, turbo housing) & temp coat anything NEccesary(Intercooler/piping), use your descresion. Keeping things cool is a safe way to gain hp and stay on the safe side aswell.

Quick Reply: What would be a good turbo for a 3.0L