North East ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

So i just won my a bid for my first audi

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:52 PM
1st Gear
Wink So i just won my a bid for my first audi

I just won a bid on ebay 98 1.8t for a stage 3 a4. It looks decent besides the trunk has a dent in it. For the most part the car i guess is in good shape the motor has 35k on it and a 2871 elim kit. Ive done a decent amount of research on maintenence and giving your audi tlc. I am in the process of selling my 05 wrx sti. I started off with honda, then took it another level to subarus and now from my understanding audi's which are a little bit more expensive and time consuming to work on. the known problems was the crack in the power steering res which i hear is common the front axle boot is torn again common, ac connector clip broken,and the wheel speed sensor is broken.

I'm going to list the mods that it comes with :

1998 audi a4 1.8t quattro.. 280whp 291trq on 17psi 93 octane. car ran a 12.9@112mph 1/4 mile. i have ran 4 gallons of race gas in it before and turned the boost up to 24psi and the thing screams... daily driving i run 18-19psi... still gets decent gas milage 18-22mpg...

lots of stuff done to the car... runs good.... car has 172xxx miles but runs great...motor was rebuilt 2 years ago and has roughly 30-35k on it.has a few issues but nothing major... i also replaced the timing belt water pump and tensioner1 yr ago, and the front control arms ball joints and ect were replaced at the same time.... 2 thousand dollar job i will start with the upgrades...

atp 2871 eliminator turbo

atp log style manifold

atp test pipe with o2 sensor trick

2.5 inch custom exhaust

chris tapp ecu tune with 93 octane and meth/race gas file

4 inch ford lightning maf sensor

630cc injectors

cone filter

30x12x3 fmic

2.5inch intercooler piping

turboxs rfl bov

southbend stage 4 clutch

fidenza lwfw

short shifter

pure motorsports motor mounts

034 motorsports tranny mount

ecs lightweight underdrive pulley

porsche boxster front brake calipers

hawk pads

audi a8 rotors

h&r sport springs

bilstien shocks

rs4 front grille

reiger rs4 front bumper

side skirts and rear

19x8.5 bbs lm reps w/time attack lip

235/35/19 falken 452's fronts

autometer 25psi boost gauge

the car looks beautiful and i think it would be something i can enjoy and also a vehicle i can bring my newborn son around in.

i searched a decent amount but i have 2 main question at this point, 1 i'm afraid the exhaust may be a bit loud for my taste (ironically i came from subaru where my exhaust was the loudest think out there) i'm looking for a nice hum, not too quiet, and not too loud (i can hear you 6 blocks away) but i don't want to lose power, i was hoping for a dual exhaust with single tip just like the newer a4s. And also transmission i believe the owner says probably needs to be replaced soon....are b5 tranny's interchangeble, are their better years if there are, and if so what would be in my best interest gearing wise, i do like aceleration i came from a 6spd but at the same time i want the best for the vehicle because this is my new joy and pride.

Please give me some input

heres the linky

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180281522207

Old 09-01-2008, 01:29 PM
2nd Gear

Looks nice...good luck with the tranny swap.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

so which transmissions are interchangeable...or should i say recommended in my situation. I hear b5 trannys are usually reliable so i was i guess just wonderin if 2.8 quattro tranny was better geared or stick with a 1.8t tranny...and if what years are stronger...maybe stronger shift forks linkage etc...