Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

06 STi or Evo9?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 09:35 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 06 STi or Evo9?

They may not be the first line of luxury, but then again thats not exactly their design ethos. I'd take the evo, in any guiise over an scooby, unless it was the 22B or the RB5. I've driven both around Oulton park in the UK, (on a trackday, no racing type stuff, but going at a decent pace), and the evo is quite a bit faster, IMHO than the scooby. The scooby is a bit less harsh though, which makes for a nicer drive in everyday situations. They are both designed as rally replica slags, and they do their job perfectly. The evo was one of the quickest cars I've driven, and they scoot through corners at silly speeds, but then again, it'sd not exactly done in an entertaining way. The scooby is pretty similar handling wise, but the suspension is a little softer, and you feel roll slightly more (splitting heirs really).

Old 01-04-2006, 12:13 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Toff_the_Toffee

They may not be the first line of luxury, but then again thats not exactly their design ethos. I'd take the evo, in any guiise over an scooby, unless it was the 22B or the RB5. I've driven both around Oulton park in the UK, (on a trackday, no racing type stuff, but going at a decent pace), and the evo is quite a bit faster, IMHO than the scooby. The scooby is a bit less harsh though, which makes for a nicer drive in everyday situations. They are both designed as rally replica slags, and they do their job perfectly. The evo was one of the quickest cars I've driven, and they scoot through corners at silly speeds, but then again, it'sd not exactly done in an entertaining way. The scooby is pretty similar handling wise, but the suspension is a little softer, and you feel roll slightly more (splitting heirs really).
Great write-up Toff. It's a shame most people don't get it.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:44 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

The EVO IX is essentially the same car it's been since the EVO VII (possibly the VI, I don't care enough to check).

The STi is about as ugly as a curdled pot of *****'s ****.

Both are boy racer cars.
Both are as elegantly trimmed inside as a truck stop restroom (in Arkansas).
Both are cars that are quite respectable in virtually every other country, yet are softened so much to meet American nanny legislation, that they are but dim shadows of their true selves.
Both are cars that will bring you into the closeknit brotherhood of IDIOT RICERS should you ever seek out compatriots.
Did I mention that the Subaru looks like a rhinoplasty gone all wrong? Perhaps a truncated anteater. Oh, I've got it, festering gangrenous amputations are more attractive than the STi.

If I had the feeling that I were forced to choose between the two, I would first go for a nice relaxing sit in a barrel of denatured alcohol, light myself on fire, and wait calmly for the feeling to pass.

But that's just me.
Interesting assessment from someone with so much knowledge of the auto industry as yourself.

Yes, they are both ugly as sin. And they look "rice". And they are as refined as a 1982 Skoda. That's not the point. Never has been and never will be. I'm not a big Mitsu fan but I am an enthusiast, and I appreciate any car that performs well and provides a thrilling, involved, driving experience, nevermind aesthetics nor badge.

If someone dislikes these cars for looks, refinement, image, even badge, then that is fine, but if someone was stupid enough to ever not recognize their performance, and respective heritage, then credibility would have to be called to question. Either that, or just sheer ignorance?

Considering the STi alone holds legendary status in EUR, even arguably moreso than BMW's amazing M-series, and that most 'supercars' couldn't even match their performance, nevermind beat it, I believe they at least deserve a certain degree of respect. I understand the "image" they unfortunately uphold within the USA, and I agree with your assessment of such. And as a lifelong SWRT fan, and STi owner, it used to **** me off but now I just laugh at such people, and pity them for their ignorance.

ps: If ever a FQ400 turns up at your track you'd better bring your Enzo or Carrera GT along

pss: And as a regular visitor of many Arkansas truck stop restrooms I can say firsthand that my STi is significantly better trimmed.

psss: You didn't answer the Q, if you HAD to choose which would it be???

Old 01-04-2006, 01:17 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: QuattroGT74

Interesting assessment from someone with so much knowledge of the auto industry as yourself.

Yes, they are both ugly as sin. And they look "rice". And they are as refined as a 1982 Skoda. That's not the point. Never has been and never will be. I'm not a big Mitsu fan but I am an enthusiast, and I appreciate any car that performs well and provides a thrilling, involved, driving experience, nevermind aesthetics nor badge.

If someone dislikes these cars for looks, refinement, image, even badge, then that is fine, but if someone was stupid enough to ever not recognize their performance, and respective heritage, then credibility would have to be called to question. Either that, or just sheer ignorance?

Considering the STi alone holds legendary status in EUR, even arguably moreso than BMW's amazing M-series, and that most 'supercars' couldn't even match their performance, nevermind beat it, I believe they at least deserve a certain degree of respect. I understand the "image" they unfortunately uphold within the USA, and I agree with your assessment of such. And as a lifelong SWRT fan, and STi owner, it used to **** me off but now I just laugh at such people, and pity them for their ignorance.

ps: If ever a FQ400 turns up at your track you'd better bring your Enzo or Carrera GT along

pss: And as a regular visitor of many Arkansas truck stop restrooms I can say firsthand that my STi is significantly better trimmed.

Ok first of all, funny boy, a PS is a post script and another one after that is post-post script, So it's PPS, not PSS. Moron.

j/k

And forgive me, I thought you were buying a car in America. You know, America, where they don't sell the FQ400, or even the FQ320 (I think that's what they call it, right?). Sure the Europe versions are actual cars, but the US-Spec ones are junk comparatively.

And what the hell are you talking about, "most supercars couldn't even match their performance"?!? Are you high? Lay off the Tussin brah, anything that deserves the title supercar should walk an EVO or STi with no problem.

And you seem to have some obsession with the FQ400. Pssshht! is all I have to say to that. It's not even like Mitsu is the one that made it faster, it's just a bunch of tuner car parts bolted on. List? Ok.....

Custom built Garrett GT Dual Ball bearing Turbocharger
Owen Developments custom manufactured cast Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold and Exhaust Elbow
Omega Forged Pistons
HKS Forged Con Rods
HKS 680cc Injectors
Zytec ITP116 High Pressure Fuel Pump
HKS 1.6 mm Steel Head Gasket
Motec M800 OEM ECU
HKS Iridium Spark Plugs
Jan Speed High Flow Sports Cat
Alcon competition derived 240 mm high clamp mode, heavy duty clutch complete with Cera-metallic 6 paddle sprung centred drive plate
HKS High Strength Head and Big End Bolts
Alcon Mono6 Brake Kit incorporating Monobloc 6 pot road caliper with 343 mm curved vein Disc on a Aluminium mounting bell assembly with Ferodo DS2500 brake pads
Ralliart Aero Mirrors
Carbon Fibre Front Lip Spoiler
Carbon Fibre "Sharks Tooth" Rear Vortex Generator
PIAA High Performance Light and Wiper Upgrade
Gloss Black Team Dynamics Lightweight Alloy Wheels

I could build an FQ400, and I can tell you I'd get paid a hell of a lot less than the $85k (USD equivalent) they got for that thing. Top that off with the fact the every website I've found says they only made 100, and it wouldn't qualify as a production car even if Mitsu did actually build it, rater than just buy parts from HKS and Garrett.

And if you held a gun to my head and told me I'd have to choose one or the other, EVO or STi, I'd let you shoot.

That is all.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:31 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: QuattroGT74

Ok first of all, funny boy, a PS is a post script and another one after that is post-post script, So it's PPS, not PSS. Moron.

j/k
It hurts me to say you are right you smart ***

[/quote]

anything that deserves the title supercar should walk an EVO or STi with no problem.
You're right..."it should" but it doesn't.

And if you held a gun to my head and told me I'd have to choose one or the other, EVO or STi, I'd let you shoot.
Stubborn bugger Perfect, then I could take the M5

Old 01-04-2006, 01:55 AM
2nd Gear

anything that deserves the title supercar should walk an EVO or STi with no problem.
Ok then, which "supercars" are you saying can't match the performance of a standard production EVO or STi? Standard production being one that is readily available to regular consumers with a production number higher than just 100.

So both the EVO and STi do 0-60 in high 4s, 1/4 in mid-13s, top out around 150ish, 60-0 around 110, skidpad close to .97, slalom at mid and high 60s. They are class leading, I'll give you that, though leading the Japanese sub-compact sedan class is hardly an achievment, and they're certianly not going to scare any genuine supercars and time soon. Well, maybe if the road is muddy.....

Old 01-04-2006, 02:07 AM
3rd Gear

Ok then, which "supercars" are you saying can't match the performance of a standard production EVO or STi? Standard production being one that is readily available to regular consumers with a production number higher than just 100.

So both the EVO and STi do 0-60 in high 4s, 1/4 in mid-13s, top out around 150ish, 60-0 around 110, skidpad close to .97, slalom at mid and high 60s. They are class leading, I'll give you that, though leading the Japanese sub-compact sedan class is hardly an achievment, and they're certianly not going to scare any genuine supercars and time soon. Well, maybe if the road is muddy.....
The Evo Mag team pitted an Evo FQ340 (production model) against a Gallardo around Silverstone, and it wasn't even close. The 06 Litchfield STi also out ran it, albeit technically a tuned car, but still in numbers exceeding 100. So there!

Old 01-04-2006, 02:35 AM
2nd Gear

The Evo Mag team pitted an Evo FQ340 (production model) against a Gallardo around Silverstone, and it wasn't even close. The 06 Litchfield STi also out ran it, albeit technically a tuned car, but still in numbers exceeding 100. So there!
I see. So you pick the worst supercar available today (an "Italian" car designed and built by Germans, ?), and pit it against the best of the best limited availability (can you go down to your local dealer and buy any FQ car?) EVO, and that's your arguement? Your quote was. "most 'supercars' couldn't even match their performance", and you back that up by saying that one day, one driver in an EVO that you can't get your hands on, beat a Gallardo. Where is the "most" in that? One car, one time. Come on, that's weak (let me add that I'm not exactly shocked and awed that the EVO won in an Evo MAG editorial. Call me jaded.)

The point is moot because you're still talking about a car that you can't buy here. The car you can buy here, does perform well, but I stand by my statement that it's not going to scare many true sports cars anytime soon, and won't scare any "supercars". Not the US version, not by a long shot.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:37 AM
4th Gear

I'll take a run of the mill corvett and spank a evo. just give me a go.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:37 AM
2nd Gear