Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else feeling the economic crunch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear
Default Anyone else feeling the economic crunch?

Everyone knows the economy is in the ***** right now, but I actually started to feel it today... I got laid off from my sweet Honda dealership job today because of a lack of work. Basically I have the least seniority so they laid me off to help cut costs. No one is buying cars or fixing them... some sort of freak of nature. Now I have $7000 in debt for tools and my new toolbox I bought specifically for this job and other misc things and no job to pay for it. All my other friends in the industry are telling me that every shop in the area is dead.

I might go out for a parts department or something to pay the bills. Has to be in the auto industry - I literally can't work a job for more than a week unless it involves cars. Heading out to all the local dealerships and applying tomorrow. I guess the good news is that I am getting about $1000 in my tax refund, and hopefully $1500 or so from a wage settlement from a previous employer. Too bad I have no idea when either will arrive...

Anyone else hurting?

Old 05-01-2008, 02:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Anyone else feeling the economic crunch?

A buddy of mine got laid off from his job last week, he worked at a 4-wheeler/sandrail aftermarket manufacturer, seems companies like that are very volatile and some of the first to slow down when the economy takes a dump.

I feel bad for the guy.. He went from 45k/year to collecting unemployment, and on top of that his fuel pump died ($$$$) when he was taking me to pick my car up from the shop the other day

Old 05-01-2008, 03:06 PM
4th Gear

my dads company vicorp (owns bakersquare) declared bankruuptcy and shut down around 55 store. i get **** from my FAFSA, my job is still good since i have seniority but since im in school i only work 3 days a week and custoemr tip crap.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:34 PM
3rd Gear

My dealership hasnt been to bad were still sellin cars and we have a roof full of cars that have to be serviced. But i do feel you my mom lost her job she was doing Re-fiances on houses aka the job that helped put everybody into debt.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:51 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Our cosmetic business is down a bit but our theraputic business, the one that is covered by medical insurance, is still booming. My mom, a middle school math teacher, got laid off due to budget cuts. On the bright side, the lines at malls are shorter, and there is less traffic on the highways!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear

its funny, we keep hiring new salesmen, yet we are laying off techs. The cars aren't selling as much either... showroom is dead.

I went to every dealership in the auto row where mine was. They all said they were dead, can't afford to take any new techs in, etc. One of the parts guys from my dealership said he is going to put in a good word it for me at another Honda dealership in the area. Everyone has a car, but gas prices topping $4/gallon around here makes people not want to drive as much, hence no one needs car repair.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:52 PM
4th Gear

ive noticed dealerships will try to sell a car to anyone, i went to an audidealership the other day and they let me do something theyve never let me do drive a B6 S4, i didnt even have to do alot fo BSing or anything, jsut told them im looking fo a car, im gonna trade in my a4 and if i could test drive the S4 guy said sure and jsut copied my license and away i went. i was surprised.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:58 PM

I am graduating in May and honestly i have no idea if i will be able to find a job. I am a little scared of the situation because the financial service sectors are no doing very well at the moment and it clearly isnt going to get better but look at the bright side.... history has proven that it will get better but we have no idea when....... No one knows... Hopefully you can make it with the $2500 u are getting. you know in my opinion Bush has not done much to help the situation out and the FED is stepping in to late..... Sorry guys if it feels like we are in a recession we most likely are........ The .06% GDP growth announced this weekis Bullsh*t if u ask me.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:07 PM
1st Gear

I run my natural and veneer stone instalation company, Pretty short on work last few weeks. Construction is getting slower...[&o]

Old 05-01-2008, 07:27 PM

I've been laid off from two jobs in the past 6 months and spent all of my savings when I was between jobs.

Quick Reply: Anyone else feeling the economic crunch?