Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap car, and a question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:48 AM
2nd Gear
Default Cheap car, and a question.

So my parents took my car away for certain reasons. I've got some money stashed away from working to dump into my Audi. However, since my parents aren't letting me drive it (not even to school), I'm considering buying another car. I don't see any chance of getting it back for a couple months.

I'm putting my budget around $600 so I still have enough money left for gas, insurance, and a little maintinence.

I know I shouldn't be undercutting my parents, but I honestly need a car to get me to my other job I'll be starting soon, and just as a general means of transportation.

So mainly I'm trying to decide on a decent car for that cheap, and hopefully German. I found a few A1 and A2 GTI's and a 16v Scirocco that sound like good prospects. I am particularly attracted to these because I have always dreamed of a Scirocco or old GTI project car.

My other question is whether or not I'd be able to take out a car insurance policy on my own at 17 (I'll be 18 in about a month). There is no way I'm going to drive without insurance.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:23 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Cheap car, and a question.

You could pick up an old audi 4000cs there pretty cool lil cars and you can find them pretty cheap, I dunno about the insurance thing though...... Why did the parents take your car away in the first place ???? you would think that if you needed to go to school and work they would understand that and let you do that......

Old 03-27-2006, 05:28 AM
Administrator

why did they take ur car away
but i say buy an old civic they are cheap and relaible

Old 03-28-2006, 01:14 AM
2nd Gear

Well, they told me if I get caught cutting class again they would take it away, and I chanced it and got caught. So they took it away.

I think I found a car though, its a 1983 VW Rabbit GTI, for $400.

"a sad day need to sell my "schwagon" after owning it more than ten years.black, rusty but trusty. 182,000 miles , runs very good . doesnt burn oil.
what doesnt work because of the old vw windshield leaking problem, heater fan, windshield wipers (sometimes), and the radiator fan, but that just might be the wiring at the switch. the ignition cuts out sometimes too, but it always starts and keeps running. tires are pretty good , got a new battery and has the vw teardrop wheels. a basic car to a good home for cheap . nick 831 xxx xxxx"

According to my VW mechanic friend that does Audi work for me, the ignition problem is very common, and extremely easy to fix.

I'm going to call tomorrow about the car, and stop by an insurance agent and talk to them to see if I can get a policy. If all goes well, I may be the proud owner of a brand new (to me) VW Rabbit!

Old 03-28-2006, 01:23 AM

sounds like a tight spot. my parents threatened to take away my car so i just... did what they asked. weird, but somehow im still driving my bmw and didn't have to by a bunny rabbit.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Senior Administrator

OK, this'll be an unpopular response, but, why not behave for a bit, at least enough to get yer wheels back from yer 'rents, use yer MOD Money to Mod the Audi, and either do a betR job of NOT gettin caught, or, NOT do things that'll get yer wheels taken away?

Old 03-28-2006, 01:30 AM
2nd Gear

Hehe, I knew I would get flamed a little. It's hard to explain my english class though. 2 hours or idiots saying idiotic things while my teacher talks about a boring book. This is the non-honors class. I was in the honors class for a week, the only difference was that instead of regular idiots, there were arrogant idiots.

But to be honest about the rabbit, I almost like it better than the Audi. The Audi is nice, but Rabbits have personality.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:37 AM

i felt bad about flamin' you in my earlier post, but no you have given me good reason with this:

But to be honest about the rabbit, I almost like it better than the Audi. The Audi is nice, but Rabbits have personality.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:31 AM
5th Gear

Yeah well if the class is so trivial and annoying, why don't you just show your parents your excellent mark in the class, and tell them that although you've been cutting class (to avoid those idiots) you have been putting in the effort outside class, to make up for it.
I skipped 1/3 of my highschool classes... no joke, my report card shows my marks, and absences per class beside them... and I have 45-60 absences depending on the class... anyhow, I still maintained a 70 average, and am now in university getting 80's and 90's.
But yeah... I am with Jazz. Just prove to your parents that you have good reason for skipping... and that you are taking the class seriously. Good behaviour will get your car back, and you don't need to buy a money pit.

Don't kid yourself... any 600 dollar car is a money pit.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:36 AM
Administrator

im with Jazz also and headshok2002
shape up and just take it

first of all i doubt ur parents will even let u buy a car even if u used ur own money

Quick Reply: Cheap car, and a question.