Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer screen freezing

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Computer screen freezing

This is on my Girlfriends laptop computer up at school, Ive used it a few time to fix other problems with it but haven't had a chance to try this one. The screen will just randomly freeze, you can still see the mouse move but everything is frozen till you move the screen then it goes back to being fine. This has started to happen more and more frequently to the point that she cant even do her homework anymore and that means she gets really pissed and takes it out on me .... haha. I don't claim to know too much about computers but it almost seems like the connector from the mother board to the screen may bee a little loose inside and that's causing this to happen but idk if there is any truth to that. Has anybody ever had this happen to them before or have any idea to what the problem is? Thanks!

Old 03-01-2010, 02:20 AM
Senior Administrator

Easy answer is memory. Next time it starts misbehaving do a ctl+alt+delete and goto: task manager.

click on the "processes" tab then click on the "memory" header until the little triangle at the top of the bar is pointed downward, and do a screenshot (ctl+printscreen), ctl+v it to a word doc, then right-click on the image and save it to the desktop as a .jpg, and post it back here. Before you do the screenshot drag teh window down so we can see as much of what's going on as possible.

also, need to know:
what operating system (and service pack)
how much memory

in fact, just right-click on "my computer" or "computer" and goto: properties and tell us the windows & system information. We don't need teh computer name, domain or workgroup information because posting that could make the device vulnerable to outside attacks.

what apps is she running when it freezes?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

I know what its like when it does that due to a lack of memory, but thats not it. Shes running windows 7 with 2 gb of memory. The problem seems to be with the screen.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Senior Administrator

Not so sure, if teh cursor is moving. Course, that cud be said for teh memory issue, too. A memory freeze wud freeze teh cursor, as well.

If the connector were loose you'd lose all display. Screen'd be black, not frozen.

What app(s) is/are running when it freezes?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Ive tried taking out the apps but to no avail. Its as if you took a picture of the screen and just had it like that for a few seconds. You can still do everything in the background such as typing or even surfing the web if you know where your clicking.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Administrator

2GB is a little low for Win7 IMO, but like Jazz said if it were a memory leak, the mouse wouldn't move either. Sounds to me like whatever application or combination of applications running when it happens could be the culprit. That or too much pr0n.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

Haha its my gf's computer so idk bout the **** being the problem haha.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Senior Administrator

some sort of IRQ conflict, I'd bet. Not too familiar with Win7, tho. Isn't there a system diagnostic buried within Win7? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Google "Secunia PSI," go to their site, download and install the free version of their app. It runs patches for apps (not the OS, or Windows, per-se, but all the other apps). Cheap fix that may work, but, honestly, without laying hands on the device, its just a shot in the dark.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:01 AM
1st Gear

ok thanks