Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Got Lidar'd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 03:51 AM
Default Got Lidar'd?

So I am on my way back from PA, to Massachusetts I get pulled over about 20 minuites from my house...Here is the situation.
I am cruising at about 80-85mph on rt. 95 North (65 mph zone)...I am in the left hand lane and a gti and some **** box cruise by me in the middle lanes at speeds in the upper 90's...A cop had been on the right hand side of the highway and pulls out. The other two cars (at least 7 car lengths ahead of me by now) slam on their brakes. I slow down as well....I get pulled over.. WTF?? I know I am speeding but I wasn't the one going 100.
He said he got me for going 96. My ticket has lidar AND estimated speed checked off..how did I get both? and how do I get myself out of this jam?
oh btw it was a $335 ticket...nice

oh and it was at night too, don't know if that makes a difference

Old 12-17-2006, 03:53 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 12-17-2006, 03:56 AM
Senior Administrator
Old 12-17-2006, 04:06 AM
Default RE: Got Lidar'd?

When he handed me the ticket...I asked him why I was stopped even though the others were going faster than me? His reply "there were 3 of you going fast, I lasered one of you at 96, and I could only stop one of you"...

Old 12-17-2006, 04:11 AM
4th Gear

OMG, AWD i wished you posted that link when i got my ticket. Deb38 use this stuff, it is gold.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:21 AM

here is a visual represenatation of the situation

Old 12-17-2006, 04:45 AM
4th Gear

Hey Deb, here's my 2 cents....

Currently, I run a impound yard for local law enforcement. I see and deal with the peeps that collect thier cars after it's been held from them. It's funny how the respectable ones get theirs much quicker than the loud, obnoxious ones (not implying that you are, btw)and what's on the web page AWD postedis a solid plan of action. Also print up that graphic as evidence. If there is a case that sheds question on the cops ability to access blame then a fair judge will lean in favor of your argument.

If I'm not mistaken, depending on distance laser cannot accurately pinpoint a car between two others. The greater the distance the wider the beam spreads out catching more to reflect back.

It's a crapshoot. The worst is pay the fine and take the points - which may cost you increased insurance fees as well...

Best of luck!

Old 12-17-2006, 04:49 AM
Senior Administrator

more good stuff from that site: http://www.blurofinsanity.com/hung.htmland: http://www.blurofinsanity.com/biking.html

Sorry Saudi. If I had known it existed, back then, I wud've posted it for you. However, given YOUR luck with the boys in blue, if *I* wer you I'd print it out and do m level best to memorize the whole thing

Old 12-17-2006, 05:27 AM

thanks for the info fellas. i dont want to pay the fine because i dont feel as though i am guilty of what the officer accused me of. if he got me for speeding at 83 mph then say so, dont get me confused with another vehicle next to me. I would pay but I think fighting it will be my best option in the end, the end being money savedfrom insurance.

keep me posted with any more thoughts, comments, anything of that nature.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Senior Administrator

If you're going in with the argument that the cop nicked the wrong car you might want to omit YOUR gusstimation as to your actual speed in favor of something along the lines of: "I'm not completely sure of my actual speed, your Honor. But, I *AM* certain I not travelling any where near the speed of the two cars that were overtaking me just prior to being pulled over by the Police Officer/State Trooper." Best not to confirm, in a court of law, under oath, THAT you were breaking the law. Keep YOUR "actions" from the night in question in teh realm of "I did not do this heinous thing that mean, mean Po-Po accused me of, your Honor." So, ummm... you might wanna remove the speed-guesstimaton from beneath the rectangle representing YOU, in your graphic. I'm jus sayin...