Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just know I'm gonna regre this, but I'm asking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Senior Administrator
Default I just know I'm gonna regre this, but I'm asking for opinions

HONEST opinons. I'm thinking about getting a Scooter, due to the ever esclalting costs of getting back and forth to work. Gonna find a decent school and take the best Cycling classes I can afford, which prolly means Ken dolls and remote controlled toys, vice actual seat time... j/k. Real classes will be taken.

NEway, what are your recommendations for a good mid-sized Crotch-rocket? Say 600cc-750cc range? I wanna get a sport bike, as opposed to a cruiser. But, it'll be my commuter, not my size-compensator (no one's EVER asked for a refund... I'm dressed and out teh door WAY too quick for THAT), so comfort WILL pay a (small) role, so, NO racing pegs set way out behind teh rear-axel, huh? I've read some of the recent reviews in the cycle mags, but, I don't "know" those guys like I "know" youze guys

Old 07-14-2006, 09:56 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: I just know I'm gonna regre this, but I'm asking for opinions

if you want comfort, sport bikes are pretty much out of the question...all of them are super sporty and your back will probably be killing you after anything more than a 20-30 minute ride...check out some sport tourers...what's your price range? my fav sport tourer to date is the honda VFR800. comfort, reliability, power, pretty much everything you need...plus it looks damn cool for a ST...single-sided swing arm (typically this is only seen on ducatis), pretty sleek plastics..overall a really good bike. AND there's a ton of used ones on sale all over the place...if you wanna go BIG there's always the yamaha FJR (1300 CCs, technically it's a "supersport tourer")

Old 07-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Administrator

are u sure u want a sport bike jazz, i say just stick with a small engine like a 600cc

Old 07-14-2006, 10:17 PM
5th Gear

600s are actually the most common in the sport bike class..and 600s are also some of the most dangerous...they've still got a TON of power (more than you're ever going to use on the street), and they're the lightest so they're easier to throw around..they're definitely the most fun on twisty roads..

engine size doesn't mean much really. there are 600CC scooters that couldn't beat a 250CC dirtbike, and there's 600s that can smoke 1800CC monsters, it's all about how the engine is tuned, the stance of the bike, and the weight.

anyone that tells you to get a 750 or a 1000 because a 600 isn't powerful enough doesn't know crap about bikes and you probably shouldn't listen to them..i run into guys like that all the time.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Administrator

but most 600s are high revers so u have to rev high to get the real power so it might be better for regular commuting casue it wont be that powerful until u high rev it

Old 07-14-2006, 10:39 PM
5th Gear

yea they would definitely be better than a bigger CC sport bike..when it comes to sport bikes, the 600 is king. yes, a 1000 will beat it in a straight line at high speeds, but for street use, nothing beats a 600. i just don't think he should be getting a sport bike of any kind...sport tourers are the way to go for commuter bikes, unless you're into cruisers, but who in their right mind would want one of those ugly beasts?

Old 07-14-2006, 10:52 PM
2nd Gear

with full street tires. comfort, one cylinder and fast!

Old 07-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Senior Administrator

Ya know, id' completely forgotten about the ST class. THIS I do know:
1. 600cc-750cc inline four (dint somebody useta make a v4? who was that, anyway?)
2. Used, maybe even an AB-used fixer-upper, depending on what my bank looks like around x-mass time-ish.
3. I AM partial to Ducati. I think they look SO HAWTly!!! But, I'd sacrifice IL Duca if I found a good deal on something whose replacement parts weren't Audi-like, in their pricyness. They hadda 699cc beauty, when I was in Europe, but bikers in Europe ALL hadda deathwish, as near as I could tell, so I wasn't really all that interested, back then.
4. NO CRUISER! EVER! Not ME!!!

Old 07-14-2006, 11:43 PM
5th Gear

check out the VFR800, i really think that bike is just about perfect for you. test ride one, they really are all over the place..

Old 07-15-2006, 06:39 AM
1st Gear

I have couple of buddies who ride a Buell XB9 and BMW F650 Dakar, they commute 30-40 minutes a day and often take weekend/afternoon rides and the only thing I've heard them complain about is the lack of twisty roads around here.

Quick Reply: I just know I'm gonna regre this, but I'm asking for opinions