AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Learning to fight (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/learning-fight-25361/)

apg96 02-15-2006 11:29 PM

Learning to fight

Does anyone know how i could find a place to train me to fight? I dont mean karate, i would like more like kick boxing/ mixed martial arts style. I dont plan on going and starting to compete (however im not against it either) but mainly to help me get in even better shape than i can do on my own, and also it would be a nice confidence booster knowing i could take a beating and also beat guys alot bigger than me in a fight.

black991.8tq 02-15-2006 11:45 PM

RE: Learning to fight

find out where ufc fighters are traning these days.

PandaXpress 02-15-2006 11:48 PM

learn from experiance, or i guess take boxing that crazy conditioning and stuff

besides u from the rich part of the OC why u need to know how to fight
i would be scared to hit anyone there, on the count of them suing my ass

apg96 02-15-2006 11:53 PM

one. i can sue just as good as anyone else. But we have some crazy fights, but i mean for going away to school. PLus, at my middle school there were fighst almost daily. That what happens at the public schools no matter where u are. Lets be honest im not gonna live in Orange County for ever. and most importantlu I want to.

PandaXpress 02-15-2006 11:56 PM

ORIGINAL: apg96

one. i can sue just as good as anyone else. But we have some crazy fights, but i mean for going away to school. PLus, at my middle school there were fighst almost daily. That what happens at the public schools no matter where u are. Lets be honest im not gonna live in Orange County for ever. and most importantlu I want to.
that is so funny i want to live in the nice part of the OC someday
and why do u want to leave ur nice safe area anyways, if i lived there i wouldnt leave man

apg96 02-16-2006 12:03 AM

Umm i dont think their are any colleges in Orange County and then when i get out of school, at first i wont be able to afford it.

pturbo 02-16-2006 02:32 AM

Use the web and look up a place in your area that teaches aikido. You use your opponents own momentum and poor balance to defeat them. If you are worried about fighting a few drunks at college, it is perfect for that. There is weapons training at the higher levels, but even if you never get to that you will get in good shape and learn how to toss bozos around.

BaconBait 02-16-2006 04:52 AM

Just punch them in the throat and kick the knees.

Karl 02-16-2006 06:58 AM

most fights are fought on the ground.. check around San Luis Obispo

AWDaholic 02-16-2006 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: pturbo

Use the web and look up a place in your area that teaches aikido.

+1

QuattroGT74 02-16-2006 04:39 PM

Just take a two week vacation over to the UK. Visit ANY bar/club at ANY time, and get ready to rumble. It shouldn't be that hard to find a sparring partner over there:D

techbod 02-16-2006 05:07 PM

ohhh that's fighting talk;) you don't need to fight you need to defend yourself "fighting/defending" is a course of law and can go against you, I can fight to save myself "within the law" and its legal to take a life within the law you just have to know the difference;)

pturbo 02-16-2006 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

ohhh that's fighting talk;) you don't need to fight you need to defend yourself "fighting/defending" is a course of law and can go against you, I can fight to save myself "within the law" and its legal to take a life within the law you just have to know the difference;)
You better watch some more re-runs of Law&Order to help you tighten up your legal pronouncements. :eek:

cary12 02-16-2006 10:38 PM

People don't fight anymore, they shoot each other. The world is full of such crazies anymore, I don't loose my temper with anyone unless it's one of my friends and we had too much to drink. ;)

techbod 02-16-2006 10:51 PM

you actually watch that crap:D

pturbo 02-16-2006 10:56 PM

Of course! Well, I used to. I would have never passed CrimLaw without good ol' L&O. ;)

techbod 02-16-2006 10:59 PM

its simple to pass the law hehe just don't get caught;)

apg96 02-17-2006 12:41 AM

I actually know the law of defending your self or any other in IMMINENT danger. I had to learn them when i went to get my pistol license with my dad so he can buy one and when i turn 21 i can also. Im also taking a Law class in school. The self defense thing wont help u much. If they have a gun or knife u can get away with it, or if ur a women and its a male u can also. But a male on male fight and u kill them ur going down for the very least manslaughter. Best be careful of home u think. The main reason i wanna learn to fight is FITNESS and CONFIDENCE. I expect that if i was going to be hurt i would put up a good fight. I have been in and one a few, but i really wnat to do it for reason.

pturbo 02-17-2006 01:28 AM

I'll trump your gun safety course with my JD and give you a nice shortcut to help you remember. If you can run away - do it. If you have a gun and can run away - do it. Besides, you don't want to shoot anybody even if they are a danger to your person. Then back on gun safety and not the law - Never let your attacker know that you have a gun and don't pull it until you are about the kill the attacker. It's not like in the movies with a big standoff with background music. Plenty of people get shot with there own guns while in the middle of saying "I've got a gun. I'm gonna shoot you."

Chill72 02-17-2006 01:38 AM

Don't put yourself in a postion where you can get beat up and you're fine.

apg96 02-17-2006 01:42 AM

u guys arent getting it. I dont care if i ever use it, i dont get in fights since ive been in high school, i know not to, I ahve alot of friends taht can back me up too. I just wanna know how to fight. Ok i want to do it for a hobby. Does that work. Enough with, kick them in the knees. blah, blah.

pturbo 02-17-2006 01:44 AM

did you check out any aikido studios?

apg96 02-17-2006 01:49 AM

i looked at aikidofaq.com and they didnt show any fighting or anything. Its sounded like it was more of an approach on life type thing. Can u send me a link to a good site about it?

BaconBait 02-17-2006 01:50 AM

Go with Muay Thai. It's a lot of fun.

apg96 02-17-2006 01:51 AM

yea thats what i was thinking. There is a place in Irvine just like 15 min down the freeway that teaches that, kick boxing, judo and a ton of other things. I may have to check it out.

Chill72 02-17-2006 01:53 AM

Ok then...here is how you do it: Throw a punch and make sure you connect with face...reapeat steps as many times as necessary.

Cameron 02-17-2006 01:54 AM

What we do around here is just find the biggest dude and pick a fight. If you walk away, you've learned how to fight, if not you probably wont ever need to fight again.

My highschool is pretty mellow in terms of fights, which is suprising considering the racial makeup and social class tensions, although today I almost walked right into a fight when this girl started totally wailing on this guy for pretty much no reason. I also almost saw a California Curb Sandwich performed after a kid got his head kicked in, but the guy gave up because he didn't want to touch the guy's bloody face. Stupid wanna-be ghetto kids piss me off. Some wanna-be gang members used to pick fights with the huge islander kids like once a week until one of the islander kids got pissed and pulled his gun out at the park they were fighting at. I've got stories coming out of my ass.

Any to be honest, kicking in the knees does work. If you get a good solid kick into the knee (more of a stomp) you will at least temporarily incapacitate the person giving you time to run. Don't forget about clean punches in the solar plexus (above abs, below ribs). I've been hit there and felt like I was going to die because I couldn't breathe. Try it on yourself. In my opinion, there's no shame in fighting dirty in an "unsanctioned fight". Nut checks are fair game, as well as nose breakers.

apg96 02-17-2006 02:20 AM

well duh tehy are fair game. Its a street fight. U guys just arent getting it. I can fight to save my self but i wanna learn how to properly fight. If i really wnated i would just have my friends beat the kid that wanted to fight me. Or throw a punch hit him in the face and let them take care of it. Kids on roids are crazy. But i just wanna laern to fight. If i really wanted to i could just carry a butterfly knife with me. or grab a metal pole and hit him in the face. I can kick knees, i ahve broken noses, and a cheekbone but its not the pt. I wanna learn to fight mixed martial arts.

specialK4 02-17-2006 02:32 AM

alright i'll help u out with this one. coming from a trained mixed martial arts fighter if u want to use these skills not to go and beat someones ass but to learn technique and disciplin then go for it. so anyway i train muay tai, judo, jiu jitsu, kempo, kickboxing. i currently fight mma , im not really going to go into detail about fighting but heres a brief overview. most fights end up on the ground and if u know what to do when ur in certain situations, you will be able to defend yourself. jiu jitsu is the art of grappling ( ground fighting techniques ) arm bars, knee bars, chokes, ankle locks etc. this is what i mainly train and has helped me the most. next for the stand up part i would go with muay tai or kickboxing. the difference between the two, muay tai you can use elbows, hold the head etc. kickboxing u cannot. so go and search the web for a jiu jitsu or muay tai dojo and begin to train. at first u will suck but dont get discouraged u will begin to get better and better. if u have any questions feel free to ask

apg96 02-17-2006 02:38 AM

thanks taht was what i was looking for. Im not sure that i would do fights, but i would liek to learn the technique of doing it, mostly b/c i enjoy watching UFC and Pride and also i wanna get in that kind of shape. Is muay tai bare knuckle or do they use the lil gloves. Which is teh one when u will learn the good kicks and also how to knee. I think its muay tai but im not sure.

pturbo 02-17-2006 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: apg96

i looked at aikidofaq.com and they didnt show any fighting or anything. Its sounded like it was more of an approach on life type thing. Can u send me a link to a good site about it?
Sounds like someone has put a Southern Cali twist on it as part of the marketing. "Come join us for a mystical experience". F-ing Cali bs.

AWDaholic 02-17-2006 02:15 PM

You could take up Naginata... Just be sure to NEVER leave home without your sword :D

Aikido (UCSB)
http://orgs.sa.ucsb.edu/aikido/faq.html

Hapkido
http://masterkwon.com/info.html

Some of EWVERYTHING
http://whispy.com/martial-arts-resources.html

A forum about some of everything
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthrea...eads.php/Cat/0

YoungWarrior 02-17-2006 02:45 PM

In a street fight sutiuation martial arts is pretty much ineffective.

When you learn martail arts you learn in a protected and predictive enviroment. There for often even black belt martial artists will get their ass kicked ina street fight as theyre not used to the situation and lose most of what they have learnt over the years or just completly freeze up.

Many martial arts masters even say if you a muscled up 18 stone bruiser just starts swinging wildly at them they wouldnt stand a chance.

Google up self defense and the likes and as you read more you will see that most sites forums suggest you try and diffuse any situation, block if you cant and just try and get out of that enviroment as soon as possible.

If I wanted to learn how to fight id probably just go to my local boxing club or any mixed martail arts club as long as they do a bit of boxing.

Or just go to the gym and take steroids one and of over the next 2-3 years and you willl be huge.

pturbo 02-17-2006 04:20 PM

I guess it depends on the way that you learn and later train using martial arts. If you are learning some karate dance moves, commiting them to memory so that you can pass a test to get a new color belt - then no, you haven't really done much of anything.

QuattroGT74 02-17-2006 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: pturbo

I guess it depends on the way that you learn and later train using martial arts. If you are learning some karate dance moves, commiting them to memory so that you can pass a test to get a new color belt - then no, you haven't really done much of anything.
Exactly. Depends on your style and education. Some martial arts are more effective than others in real life situations. I train muay thai and judo. Hapkido is an excellent discpline to learn to defend yourself. It is the Korean evolution of Aikido and is taught to many law enforcement agencies around the world. Focus is on momentum, pressure points, holds and throws.

Obviously boxing/kickboxing/muay thai are effective because if you are trained to punch and kick effectively then you have a decent chance of defending yourself in a confrontation.

One thing I do know for sure is that someone who is "trained" to fight will always come out on top of some thug who justs thinks he can fight.

With that said, I have never been in a fight outside of the sporting arena, because I am one tough, but still damn good-looking bastard:D

specialK4 02-18-2006 05:30 PM

apg - muay thai you use knee's , leg kicks, elbowls, regular punches etc.. depending on the rules on where you are fighting its either 16 oz gloves, 12 oz, 4 oz ( which are the small ones the ufc guys wear) or if ur in thailand you will see them fighting with just wraps or bare knuckle. if u want to get in good shape i'd go and find a place that trains jiu-jitsu and muay thai.

young warrior - u obviously have no idea wut ur talking about a trained MMA fighter vs some juiced muscle head , the MMA fighter will destroy him. my instructor is about 155lbs and has been training for over 15 yrs. without a doubt he will beat the shit out of some juiced up dickhead. during class when he rolls with people who are 240 + he makes them look like their 50lbs. its all about technique and disicpline.

lauren5757 02-18-2006 08:34 PM

APG.... Heinz and I will be in cali March 2nd till the 10th, want us to teach you?

apg96 02-18-2006 09:45 PM

teach me wat? where in cali?

lauren5757 02-19-2006 07:44 PM

Since your thread is talking about wanting to learn how to fight...... I was kinda talking about that. We'll be up in San Fran though. But for enough money, we would drive down.

QuattroGT74 02-19-2006 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: lauren5757

I will be in cali March 2nd till the 10th, want us to teach you?
I will take some "ground lessons" from you;)

ps: sorry Heinz not you buddy, just lauren.