Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longest and most Interesting Trip in the Audi ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 03:01 AM
Default Longest and most Interesting Trip in the Audi ...

So I took the longest trip to my new Audi thus far. 1200 miles from Washington, D.C. to Oklahoma City, OK. What a drive, and boy do I have some interesting stories as well. And what story is complete without some pics.

So, I started off Saturday morning, and it was miserable all the way out through Ohio. Nothing but rain. This is where I run into issue #1 of 2. Can anyone same possesed sunroof? Yes indeed, it's pouring down rain, and the sunroof decides it wants to open and close, open and close, each time frustrating me a little more as the rain comes on in. So I stop at a rest area and start disassembly as I had remebered a post about the contacts being dirty. So I get it closed and disconnect the switch and boom, problem solved.

So I keep on driving, happy that the one issue I had was a simple fix.

It's not about 8:00PM. I've been on the road for a good 13 Hours and I'm just zooming in and out of traffic, left turn signal, right turn signal, always be courteous to my fellow travelers and then all of a sudden I hit Right Turn Signal and **NO HEADLIGHTS**. So I quickly turn the turn signal off and headlights again. Phew. Little bit farther down the road, same thing. This time they don't come back on right away. So I finesse it a little and they click back on. Being the brilliant person I am, I stop at the next exit and start fiddling, trying to figure out what is wrong. Well this time, no headlights at all, under any circumstance. Still have rear lights, blinkers, interior, etc. but no headlights unless I hold the lever back for High Beams. Well I didn't want to stop for the night, so I improvise. I'm certainly not going to hold that lever all night and I don't want to high beam everyone either. So I start by taking a shoe lace and tying the Multifunction Switch (Headlight, Blinkers, Cruise Control to the to the Light Control LEver (Whatever it's called that turns the rear lights on etc.) tightly so that the high beams stay on all the time by hold the lever back. I then pop the hood and take a pencil and mark where the lights are and then cranked the beams down a little bit.

So we get that taken care of and we are once again golden. Then I decided around 10:30 when it was still raining it was time to call it quits somewhere out side of St. Louis. It's always your luck that when you don't have reservations somewhere there is this big event and hotels for the next 30 miles are booked. So I keep driving and finally stay in this little place in the middle of somewhere in St. Louis.

Get up this morning, and keep heading west. Nothing too interesting. Nice weather, all the problems have been resolved and it's smooth sailing so I decided to take some pics and have included them below for your viewing pleasure.

So all in all, loved taking the Audi on this long trip. Bum only got sore on two occasions but I think it would on any trip that long. Had Avon Tech's put on per headshok's advice and I loved them. They really grabbed well in both rain and dry. Overall a pretty decent trip. Was a little disappointed that the ONLY Audi I saw the whole 1200 miles was an Audi A8 on the other side of the highway. That kinda made me sad, it was like I was searching for my family and they were no where to be found.

So there it is. In Oklahoma now and I'm convinced more than ever there is not a whole lot too do. It should be Fun!

I don't remeber what city this was.

Decent sunset.

Had to unleash some Audi Power on this sad and cocky Probe.

I didn't think roads this straight exxisted.

Never seen this before.

I heard they stoped production on these? hmmm, I wonder why.

I didn't know that you could advertise items on the black market that easily.

That's the kinda speed I like to see here stateside.

I don't know what to say about this one. Pretty interesting.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:10 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Longest and most Interesting Trip in the Audi ...

yeah they have a lot of rest stops with fast food joints on top of the freeway.. I noticed those when I drove cross country.. seemed rather odd to me

Old 10-24-2005, 03:22 AM
Senior Administrator

They have lots of those in Europe, especially Italy. SOme even have 3-4-star resturuants

Old 10-24-2005, 04:03 AM
Administrator

hmm i guess when it comes to real estate for business' its all about the location

Old 10-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Senior Administrator

Puts a whole NEW spin on "Drive-thru" huh?

Old 10-24-2005, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

Puts a whole NEW spin on "Drive-thru" huh?
Haha ... no joke.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

Yeah my sun roof randomly opens and closes , Closes when you want it open and opens when you want it closed . lol .
I think that it adjusts to surrounding air pressures too .
Went on a trip in the mountains and it would open just long enough to let a lil bit of air in and then it closes right back up .
Kinda Cool .
Hasn't Rained in on me yet so , I'm not going to complain .