Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

m5

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 03:04 AM
Default RE: m5

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

My thing is that I like the more understated look of the E39. It's incognito, undercover. The E60 is just bold and brash and "look at me!!!". Where the E39 is classy, the E60 is trendy. That's what I don't like about it. It has grown on me to the point that I don't hate it anymore though, so that's a start. They should have switched the design cues from the E60 and E90 (which I do like), since the 3-series buyers are younger and a little more edgy and flashy as a whole, whereas the 5-series buyers are (generally) more reserved.

iDrive and SMG are still tosh though, I don't care what anyone says.
no offense SS but anyone driving a M5 is saying look at me. Yes all the new BMWs are ugly but are fast as hell. Screw the new M5 get the M6, same engine, a lil better performance (i think its lighter) and its a 2 door.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:30 AM
5th Gear

I don't think the "everybody who buys an M5 is saying 'look at me'" is true at all... silvers car, to most people, doesn't stand out over any 5 series... it is a car, for a car nut. It is not a car for people who don't know what it is... it seriously doesn't look much different than a 525... which is a fairly boring car.

So yeah. The new M5 however, is making a pathetic scream for attention... it's gross. It is just... unnatural. It is not in keeping with M heritage, if you ask me. ... well, until you drive it.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:33 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: apg96

Screw the new M5 get the M6, same engine, a lil better performance (i think its lighter) and its a 2 door.
The M6 is 20 grand more, half as useful, and the performance for both is nearly identical. The 6 will barely edge out the 5 around a track, if at all.

So it comes down to a choice between "look at me!!!!" (M5) and "look at me NOW!!!!!" (M6). Plus, you can fit more hookers in the 5.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:34 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

Yeah, I'd take silvers M5 over the new ones... the M5 used to be something so amazingly unique... 400 hp 4 door sedan... and you can only get it with a 6 spd, right?
Mine was 6-speed only, I think the new one is 7-speed SMG only.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:25 AM
5th Gear

Yeah, exactly! The old one was a 4 door sedan, with a 6 spd ONLY! What I'm saying... is that the old M was a purists car... the new one caters to yuppies.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:55 PM
2nd Gear

I thought they ruined it when the new one came out. Took a beautiful car and beat its a$$ with an ugly stick. But, seeing them in person makes it grow on you (did me anyway). I spent some time at a dealer looking it over, and see them on the roads quite abit and now I like them, alot!

Old 12-01-2005, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

**** you guys, I ain't no yuppy.

you buy a car like that when you have a four door need, and still want some excitement behind the car. or if you might end up getting chased....

Old 12-01-2005, 07:33 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: Heinzanova

**** you guys, I ain't no yuppy.

you buy a car like that when you have a four door need, and still want some excitement behind the car. or if you might end up getting chased....

Yeah, and the old M5 would do all of that... and do it with an air of subtelty! The new M is way too flashy... But I guess the people who can afford that kind of car... are often the yuppie type anyways. It'll keep them out of a mercedes or something

But yeah, 6 spd only before! That says a lot about what the M used to stand for.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:36 PM
2nd Gear

yea headshok you bring up some valid points, the old M was deffinatly for a true car lover and it is perfect, I love silvers car. But if BMW is gonna get more sales by appealing to the younger folk, then they deffinatly will do it.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear

Don't sell the E60 short. Around a track it will be much faster then the E39. It has adaptive suspension, adaptive differential, adaptive steering, hell it has an adaptive engine. If it holds up properly and isn't as quirky as the E39, I would have to say it's a much better car. The killers for it are the styling, the lack of transmission alternatives, and the price compared to some of it's closest (but still behind) competitors. Even the fact the it now has competition is depressing, whereas the E39 was at the time, the one and only "super-saloon".