Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP: Hooking up my tv to my surround!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear
Default NEED HELP: Hooking up my tv to my surround!!!

I can't seem to get AUX working on my surround while watching tv and i have no idea why...

My TV has
Component IN
A/v IN
Front A/V IN
Digital Coaxial/Audio Out- (Orance RCA female)
S-Video

My Surround Sound has
A/V out
Component Out
A/V in
Coaxial (Black RCA female)

Question is the ORANGE RCA on my tv could be connected to Black RCA on my surround?
my tv does not seem to have audio out RCA's so i dont know how else to hook it up so i will have TV programs playing through my Surround... Please Help

Old 07-21-2009, 09:25 PM
2nd Gear

It would help a lot if you took pictures of the back of your tv/cable box/ and surround.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:11 PM
4th Gear

+1 to taking pictures of them all and posting. That will help a lot!

Josh

Old 07-21-2009, 11:49 PM
3rd Gear

just connect stuff wherever it fits and see what happens. post results.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear

Orange to black sounds right. Some TVs require you to tell it where to route the sound, so check that in the TV menus. Also, on your surround system you may need to tell it which component uses the digital input. On mine, I have to tell it to use the digital input when I set to to DVD, for example.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:57 PM
4th Gear

if u have the plug from tv to surround for digtal audio i would highly suggest using that cord instead of rcas. The digital audio provides sound that is incomparable to standard rcas. or if u can the correct hdmi that transmits sound that would be equally the same.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by yesss4
Orange to black sounds right. Some TVs require you to tell it where to route the sound, so check that in the TV menus. Also, on your surround system you may need to tell it which component uses the digital input. On mine, I have to tell it to use the digital input when I set to to DVD, for example.
Yeop. Orange to Black should be right. Orange is the standard color for S/PDIF (and black on some units too)

Check both your tv and receiver menus as well. Most tv's have the option to turn the speakers off and run sound out of an output (coax) into a surround.

the receiver unit should be checked as well, like was stated above ^. my receiver has a coax input and optical input and i had to play around to get the source to sync up correctly with what input i wanted.

You might want to make sure you are using a Digital/SPDIF Audio Coax Cable as well instead of a plain old RCA. Some people say it doesn't make a difference when running short distances, but, digital audio coax cable's can carry a 75-ohm load, idk about plain rca's, but that lack of capability in the cable might cause an impedance mismatch between both units thus affecting sound quality. I went ahead and used a digital coax cable on mine just cuz....

I have a digital coax cable from my dvd player to receiver, then a digital optical from cable box to receiver for sound.

Last edited by mctavish11; 07-22-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 PM
4th Gear

I can vouch that the digital cable sounds way better. I have a samsung surround system and i had it hooked up with standard rca's and switched to digital and for one the sound was 10 times clearer and the bass sounded way louder. Rca's have the chance for more interference from other plugs cords etc. The less cords is the better.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:20 PM

^ +1. Word. I haven't even tried hooking up a plain old RCA instead of the digital coax cuz i know it ill sound poopier.

What i meant to say was don't use an RCA cable in place of the digital coax in the S/PDIF output/input.

I agree that going from the standard left-right RCA to a digital input, the sound is, exactly, 10 times brighter, fuller, crisper, and well... more awesome ha

Old 07-22-2009, 05:33 PM
2nd Gear

ok so i got the DIGITAL CABLE last night and hooked it all up and still no sound...
Orange to Black and on my TV I have options in audio setup to use PCM or Dolby Digital
on my surround sound i have options to use S/PDIF RAW or S/PDIF PCM so i choose the PCM one on my tv and my surround sound then click AUX and nothing happens...
I think i might of tried just about everything i can on both devices but something tells me that im still missing something or not doing right...

Quick Reply: NEED HELP: Hooking up my tv to my surround!!!