AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   New 2.0T Quattro ranked 1st in AWD Sports Sedan camparo. (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/new-2-0t-quattro-ranked-1st-awd-sports-sedan-camparo-24454/)

QuattroGT74 02-04-2006 11:52 PM

RE: New 2.0T Quattro ranked 1st in AWD Sports Sedan camparo.

ORIGINAL: pturbo

I saw a report on some new AWD vehicles last night on tv. Part of the test was comparing the AWD sedans to their RWD counterparts for Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, etc. on an ice rink. Needless to say the AWDs outperformed the RWD on slick surfaces. The testers weren't very hot on AWD though unless a person lived in an area that got a lot of snow. They said that otherwise it made no meaningful handling difference - then they conceded that it would help some in the rain...but not enough to matter. They argued against the extra cost, weight and maintenence on more moving parts in an AWD system. What do you think of that?
I agree with that assessment. There is a significant weight and price penalty for awd. However, Quattro is pretty much unbeatable in the wet, sleet, or snow. A true RWD car certainly "feels" better, and usually handles better (in terms of real numbers), but that is not always the case - proved by such cars as the 911 Turbo, STi and Evo etc etc. But I agree that RWD usually "feels" better to drive in dry conditions.

I haven't test driven all of those cars, but I got to believe that an advanced AWD system that is moving torque independently to each wheel has some handling advantages in almost any road condition.
I personally agree with this. As I said above, RWD seems to give you that intangible feeling that you don't get with AWD but when it comes to hard handling numbers, it's really hard to argue against cars like the Turbo, STi, and Evo. I'm a big fan of AWD

:)

KarlMarx 02-04-2006 11:59 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll have to go to the local Walden Books and see if I can't find the article. :D

KarlMarx 02-05-2006 12:01 AM

Gahhh, accidently reposted.... [:@]

SAudi 02-05-2006 12:56 AM

im not dissing audi but how did it stand up to the mitsu lancer, the ranting supercar slayer in a a saloon shell.

Yuikio 02-05-2006 01:04 AM

That's odd, because SPEED, R&T's bastard child tuner magazine, gave the B7 S-line a big "Meh" in its AWD sport sedan shootout.

They compared a 2.0T quattro tip (lame) S-line to the Subaru Legacy GT Spec B and the Mazdaspeed 6, gave 1st to the Mazda, 2nd to the Subie, and distant last to the Audi. Overall, 190.7 points out of 200 to the Mazda, 189.2 to the Subie, and 167.9 to the Audi. Said it was slow, heavy, and understeered piggishly.

SAudi 02-05-2006 01:07 AM

And thats why SPEED is the bastard child.

pturbo 02-05-2006 01:13 AM

ORIGINAL: QuattroGT74

ORIGINAL: pturbo

I saw a report on some new AWD vehicles last night on tv. Part of the test was comparing the AWD sedans to their RWD counterparts for Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, etc. on an ice rink. Needless to say the AWDs outperformed the RWD on slick surfaces. The testers weren't very hot on AWD though unless a person lived in an area that got a lot of snow. They said that otherwise it made no meaningful handling difference - then they conceded that it would help some in the rain...but not enough to matter. They argued against the extra cost, weight and maintenence on more moving parts in an AWD system. What do you think of that?
I agree with that assessment. There is a significant weight and price penalty for awd. However, Quattro is pretty much unbeatable in the wet, sleet, or snow. A true RWD car certainly "feels" better, and usually handles better (in terms of real numbers), but that is not always the case - proved by such cars as the 911 Turbo, STi and Evo etc etc. But I agree that RWD usually "feels" better to drive in dry conditions.

I haven't test driven all of those cars, but I got to believe that an advanced AWD system that is moving torque independently to each wheel has some handling advantages in almost any road condition.
I personally agree with this. As I said above, RWD seems to give you that intangible feeling that you don't get with AWD but when it comes to hard handling numbers, it's really hard to argue against cars like the Turbo, STi, and Evo. I'm a big fan of AWD

:)
I like the idea of AWD too. I have driven the AWD Audis, BMW, and Acura - I don't like Lexus - and I think all of them are hot in their own way. I thought I would have a new daily driver by January(namely an Audi), but unfortunately I seem to be getting farther away instead of closer. My work has a high demand for cash at times and has taken my Audi fund. I hope that this all works out for the better in the long run and the cash that I have put in will bare fruit and I will come out on the other side with cash to buy a hot Audi with a lot of cash and a minimum of financing. Time(and the economy) will tell. Let's all cross our fingers......

Yuikio 02-05-2006 04:18 AM

I'm crossing my fingers for you. You have a 964, right?

pturbo 02-05-2006 01:43 PM

Yep. It's a 3.6 liter turbo. It's got low mileage and I don't take it out daily.

ckandes1 02-05-2006 04:50 PM

yeah good luck with that man crossing my fingers here too :D