Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new phone...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

+1 for the Dare, very sleek and newly released

Old 03-02-2009, 06:55 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by pearlescent
+1 for the Dare, very sleek and newly released
my friend has the dare and she likes it but I had the hardest time trying to figure out how to work everything out on it and I felt the touch screen was a little slugish for me, but that is coming from an Ipod Touch so I'm used to and love the iPod and iPhone touch screens the best.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by headshok2002
Can you not just buy a BB off of craigslist or ebay and hook it up to Verizon without data?

I think the consensus here is to get a BB, if it is possible... even without data.

I've held the Dare and it's a cheaply constructed POS. Most 'regular' phones are, compared to the good smart phones.

The treo 680 was the smallest (650 was thicker and had an antenna. I think the 750 is the same?). The new Treo Pro looks kinda neat... but the effin' guys didn't give it WiFi. It's probably not 3g either. Fail.
I'm pretty much done with Palm, even if they do get back into the game... Blackberry will likely have my business for many years to come. My Bold is constructed extremely well, and is a pleasure to use. If they made it with a touchscreen, it'd just be that much better.
I'm totally disappointed in the new Curve (8900). They said it was going to be a mix between Bold and Storm which I thought was gonna be a touch screen but they basically just take the Storm's body and incorporate the Bold's keyboard.

As of the Treo, I believe 600 and 650 have the same body and same thing goes with 680 and 750. The 750 was smaller than the 600/650 but the thing is thick and heavy.

I do miss their keyboard though. It feels so solid.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 PM
4th Gear

What disappoints me is Verizon's bs internet browser...

The iPhone's is exactly what you get on the net - with the exception of Flash content - but it's almost a WYSIWYG browser.

Even the Storm is the same stupid consolidated text version of the net.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator

I'm running T-Mobile on the BB and it actually displays pages I would see on the computer. The forums look exactly the way it would except it's more compacted since it has smaller screen.

Has anyone ever experienced/heard of unreceived text messages from T-Mobile to Verizon. I have sent couple of messages to couple people with Verizon and they claimed they did not receive them. This also happens with MMS messages.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:33 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by kriptonik
I'm running T-Mobile on the BB and it actually displays pages I would see on the computer. The forums look exactly the way it would except it's more compacted since it has smaller screen.

Has anyone ever experienced/heard of unreceived text messages from T-Mobile to Verizon. I have sent couple of messages to couple people with Verizon and they claimed they did not receive them. This also happens with MMS messages.
Never texted me back ******.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Amze
Never texted me back ******.
You have Verizon, don't you?

I haven't checked my phone.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by kriptonik
You have Verizon, don't you?

I haven't checked my phone.
Ya I do, haha

Old 03-02-2009, 09:30 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by CL AUDI EOUS
Yea looks like most of you guys recommend blackberry... thing is verizon charges for a data plan on all of their smartphones and a blackberry plan for the RIM phones... Its not possible to get them with out, so I was looking for the next closest thing without actually being a smartphone/blackberry
So buy an old Curve off of eBay or craigslist. Sell the phone you get free with your contract. Make sure you pick the most expensive free phone you can!
I've noticed that you can choose a lot of 0 dollar phones on 2/3 year contracts... but the prices of them off contract range considerably. This will determine how much you can sell it for. Also, some 50 dollar phones are probably worth the 50 bucks because you can sell them for more than a 50 dollar premium vs the free phones. Do some math, check the markets... you can likely get a Curve for very cheap... after selling the brand new phone you'll get from the contract.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

you can't have a blackberry (includes the curve) on verizon without having to pay for the data plan from what I have heard or else I would totally get one

Quick Reply: new phone...