Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

A new spin on traffic fines... Your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 01:12 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A new spin on traffic fines... Your opinion?

flip-flops and denim shorts? What kinda company do you work for? Can I join in the fun? It took fours years to get rid of the tie, casual Friday's do exist, but we are not allowed running shoes or open toed shoes.[:'(] Forget about shorts or a T-shirt.

I must be getting old, "going after suits" means making fun of people in "mahagoney row", sometimes known as the senior executive, or Ken Lay class.

MJC

Old 04-26-2005, 02:27 PM
5th Gear

i never understood all the restrictions on clothing in a workplace.....what the hell is the problem with jeans, or sandals, or t-shirts (as long as there isn't an offensive message on it), or shorts....what's the big deal?! someone please validate these stupid rules so i can stop complaining....

Old 04-26-2005, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: bentframe

i never understood all the restrictions on clothing in a workplace.....what the hell is the problem with jeans, or sandals, or t-shirts (as long as there isn't an offensive message on it), or shorts....what's the big deal?! someone please validate these stupid rules so i can stop complaining....

I wear shorts almost every day here in Florida and I own a professional office. I have clients come in too. Some of them have copied me and are dressing down now too. My favorite is a pair of linnen shorts a cotton button up short sleeve shirt and a pair of Reef flip flops. No need to be all stuffy and pretend I am something I am not. The quality of my product stands on its own. My clients love me and do not care if I am wering a suit or shorts as long as they get what they need for a resonable price, good quality and resonably fast. (I own a land surveying company BTW)

That ticket pricing structure would screw me. But, I can remember this issue coming up 15 years ago and I had the same attitude as the younger ones on here. Screw the suits screw the rich they cann afford it so make them pay.

Where to spend the money if this was indeed to happen. Structure a driver licensing process similar to the European countries. Make it harder to get you're license and make drivers prove they are capable of controlling a car in more situations than a parking lot at 10 MPH. The drivers in the US are horrible, I would like to see more education and mandatory classroom and in car training.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Senior Administrator

Actually, "business casual" is our dress code at EDS (remember Ross Perot's old company?). No casual Friday. "Collar'd" shirts and Dockers seem to be the unofficial uniform. Except for the "suits" up on 6, that is.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:24 PM
5th Gear

EDS... isnt that GM's computer something or other company? I used to work for OnStar and EDS was in the same building.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Senior Administrator

The (not quite) chronology:

1960-something, '65, I think, RP fakes his way into a VERY lucrative Government contract to do some sort of computer stuff.

A couple of decades (give or take) later he sells it to GM for a couple of BILLION dollars.

Less than a decade later EDS "buys" itself out of GM, but maintains a business relationship with GM providing computer-related tech support for stuff, that remains to this day.

EDS, or ED's, as we call it, has tech-related contracts with the U.S Government worth Billions of dollars, as well as Billions of $$ worth Global contracts with other Governments, in additioin to Billions of dollars worth of contracts with other businesses the world over... YOU'D THINK THEY COULD AFFORT TO PAY ME A DECENT SALARY, huh?

Old 04-27-2005, 03:51 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: mjcole

ORIGINAL: abacab

So should we have a graduated scale for everything? All based on ability to pay...??
No it doesn't work that way, the idea is that you choose to do something foolish, you choose to speed, now if you are only speeding a little bit your fine is small relative to what? In our (NA society) the fine is small relaitve to what the average shmoe can pay. But for some poor Pizza delivery guy just trying to beat the 45 minutes or its free, that $200 fine is gonna hurt one hell of a lot more than the $500K / year (+ bonuses and stock options) president of company - who happens to yell at all of his underlings and lives on the golf course (when not yelling at people)... yes I am thinking of someone specific, its no one any of you know... but his company does pay for his Beemer 745.

So do I think he should get a bitch slap? Why not? Its not like that $200 ticket hurts him at all and the idea is, it should hurt, hurt enough that you won't speed anymore.

Sorry if I don't make much sense, but I just love going after suits.

MJC

I've always thought that speeding tickets are not really a punishiment, most municipalities see them as a revenue generator. So the real deal should be speed law enforcement, not 'catch the speeder'. Cops sitting on the side of the road with a radar gun catch people, and generate revenue. A police car out cruising on the highway slows people down.
Get police cars back on the road, stop using radar/lasers and influence more drivers, by there mere presence, to slow down.

Old 04-27-2005, 04:07 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: abacab
Get police cars back on the road, stop using radar/lasers and influence more drivers, by there mere presence, to slow down.
A noble sentiment but, even before the price of gas hit European levels (well, not quite, yet, but you get the pic) a Cop patrolling burns a LOT a $$$. Law enforcement (not just speeders, but ALL laws) doesn't get enough of a budget to deploy sufficient roving patrols, so, you get a few guys with a speed gun and the theory is that "people" will slow down if they get enough tickets. Get a radar detector and ride your luck!

Old 04-27-2005, 04:10 AM
5th Gear

they could at least chill in an open spot to discourage speeding....there's no reason to hide in the shadows and wait for speeders...except of course to rack up the funds....gotta love pigs...

Old 04-27-2005, 04:12 AM
4th Gear

thing is... you have no idea where the traps are... so i think they have more of a 'presence' when they're hiding. so long as they keep us very aware that thye are hiding

Quick Reply: A new spin on traffic fines... Your opinion?