Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Wheels worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:48 PM
3rd Gear
Default New Wheels worth it?

I'm taking a look at these wheels on Sunday, and I'll probably buy them.
It's either these or the Silver Flik Justice 17's - which edgeracing is out of inventory on right now...

Pros:
These come with tires (maybe half tread left) for $500.
Like the style and they're original, not the replicas. (does anyone know how to tell the difference?)
No shipping, they're 30 minutes from my house, and I can see them before I buy.
The center caps cover the ugly stock wheel lug bolts (vs the Fliks).

Cons:
They have some scratches/curbage. - but hey, my car's got 165k miles, so why buy new, right?
One tire has a small bubble in it - it may be a problem, may not be?
For an extra $500, I could get the Fliks w/ tires, all new, etc...
Resale value?

Let me know what you think...Thanks
--------------------------------------

I'm looking to sell my wheels and pick up a new set.The pictures below where taken last week so there very recent.I picked up the wheels earlier this year and they had pre-existingcurbing &scratches and one tire has a small bubble on the outside side wall.The rims are OEM and are staight and true.Theres no bends just alot of scratches so they would be pretty easy to refinish if you choose to.The rim tirecombo is the best feel I've had on the car yet they feel light and responsive and I don't notice any road noise.I've drove on the wheels the last few mounths and there still on my car.I like the style just looking for something more suiting my taste.I'm looking for $500 for rims and tires and would be intrested in trades of 17' or 18' rims. I'd perfer allseason so I could sell my 16' stock "5 star ?" audi wheels also.PM me if your intrested I'm not looking to ship but couldpossibly meet you halfway for the sale.I'm rightnext to Next to Hartford CTfor an idea on the location. Tires are Dunlop Sp Sports 225 45 17ZRATED FM901 Summer High Performance.
Name:  5dec74b6-3.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  40.2 KB
Name:  9409045a.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  58.5 KB
Name:  aa96bc00.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  55.6 KB
Name:  c663482c.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  53.3 KB
Name:  0bd8c8d8.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  58.4 KB
Name:  10ed1d34.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  59.2 KB

ANYONE WANT TO TRADE WHEELS 17' OR 18' PM ME
Name:  fefe229b-1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  54.8 KB

Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Default RE: New Wheels worth it?

The bubble in the side wall is an impact seperation. The steel belts have been severed and the tire will fall apart. I know this because I used to work at a tire store (3 years in college). And yes, it will blow out on the highway. This happens when you hit a pothole or a curb really hard, there is a VERY good chance that that rim is bent. I wouldn't touch them.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:11 PM

It depends on the look you want too. These keep the look pretty stock while the flik's will lend an air of "aftermarket-ness" to your vehicle. Personally I would invest in the flik's just to change up the style a bit.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear

The guy said the bubble was very slight, and was on the tire when he bought them. I didn't find out how many miles he'd driven the car on that tire though.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:29 PM

The only reason that a tire has a bubble is because the belts are broken and the air pressure is pushing the rubber out. If you don't believe me then ask any tire shop. Just cause the guys didn't mind the bubble doesn't make him not an idiot. If you want the rims, replace the tire.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:27 PM
3rd Gear

You can find much cooler (the most important thing) used, aftermarket wheels with similar tires for that price.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:45 AM
3rd Gear

I can only find Flik Justice 17's and with tires (bundled package)are $900 plus shipping ($1000). For a car that's got 165K miles, is it even worth it for brand new wheels?

Old 05-24-2008, 12:55 AM
3rd Gear

Why must people defile their cars with eyelids?[:@]...............

Old 05-24-2008, 01:28 AM
3rd Gear

anyone else?

Old 05-24-2008, 02:20 AM
cbg

I would get some nice used wheels with new(er) tires...with an older car if you get a set of nice used wheels with minor curb rash they can look really good. I would definitely go with a more aftermarket look, not worth spending money for a stock look, as has been previously stated. FWIW I am (when I have the loot) going to be looking for some used BBS LM reps used or Flik Arctics....It is worth spending 500 but only if you can get a different look that makes your A4 stand out

Quick Reply: New Wheels worth it?