Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
OK to openly carry
82.14%
NOT OK to openly carry
17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Ok, lets discuss openly carrying a firearm

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Ok, lets discuss openly carrying a firearm

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

I dint join the armed forces straight outta H.S.. I was married, witha kid on teh way. I wanted Marines, she wanted me to go Air Force. I compromised and joined teh Army. It is teh ONLY thing I will admit my ex was right about. I shudda went Air Force. They're more in line with my actual mentality. I had fun in teh Army, FWIW. I was/am TOO much of an independant thinker to have EVER been a successful Marine.
Jazz gives guns to monkeys. THAT's what I call independant thinking...

Old 12-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Senior Administrator

I promise to NEVER point my loaded Monkey at you, Kevin...

Old 12-11-2006, 07:21 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Redgoat

a TOOL?!?! That's like saying nuke is just a weapon.
it is just a weapon..

If you want protection carry a blackjack, brass knuckles, pepperspray or stungun. A gun whether used or not escalates the situation to almost a point of no return. Take up matrial arts.
those are more attack weapons.. you can use a pistol in self defense when you feel threatened enough to do so. and martial arts and brass knuckles arent always going to save you.. in fact you would probably get effed up even more for pulling them out.

But here's the true question to your scenerio, Red - can you shoot another person even in self-defense? It's not as easy as you think.

You can play out "what if"s all day long - but boils down to can you pull the trigger, for if you do, you could kill someone...
I dont think you are aware of my background.. yes i know for a fact that I can.. and honestly when you do it... you will replay the "what if i reacted this way.." and "what could i have done differenty" but that isnt going to help you out at all.. trust me i know.. Its just something that you have to accept when you do it.
Yes, a nuke is a weapon - but one of mass destruction - so my point essentially was that you are going way beyond self defense on the gun issue. Yes, it can be used as such, but is it necessary?

As for your training, guy, I'm not arguing, but even the most seasoned soldier will hesitate on that first shot. What we're discussing here is whether or not your average Joe or Jane should carry - not those like ourselves who have experience and training with firearms.

As for myself, I own 3 fireams and I would not trust myself in carrying one around - it adds an element to the mix that I don't want to deal with. But being 6 ft, 240 lbs I get little, if any, flack from the idiots I encounter.

Honestly, I see too much death and destruction in my job just dealing with licensed drivers doing things I would never do in my Audi - and these are vechiles of transportation - not weapons. You license your average citizen to carry a loaded weapon, and you will see more accidental shootings and crimes of passion than you can even imagine.

People on the street will fear each other - stop to help someone? Not me, especially if Gradma's packing and I come up to help in the dark and so on and so forth.

What I truly fear is that if this becomes easier for citizens to obtain, then before long it may become fashionable to carry as well and then you will have hormonal twenty-somethings running around waving them around and once that cat's out of the bag... well, it can't be good.

And ever since that incident in Brazil... Don't get me started on un-licensed loaded monkeys...

Old 12-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: playa256

ORIGINAL: Palindari
And ever since that incident in Brazil... Don't get me started on un-licensed loaded monkeys...
Oh. Do tell!
simply put - they aint just crack shots at flinging poo... [:@]

Old 12-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Senior Administrator

Note to self: Get Monkey LICENSED!

Old 12-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 12-12-2006, 12:28 AM
4th Gear

Kinda - just change rock to .50 cal short and Brazilian woman with Swedish Bikini Team and you'll get the picture [8D]