Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Own a piece of Racing History

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 04:10 AM
Site Moderator/Ninja
Default RE: Own a piece of Racing History

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

I'd hafta change the mirrors, but, yeah I'd take one of those... Bit ONLY if it came in SOLID SILVER[8D]
Psssshhh that wing is soooo Ricer...[:-] j/k

Old 04-25-2006, 04:52 AM
2nd Gear

Have you guys seen the picture of that solid silver A8? Now we know where all the money from our oil is going to!! [:@]

Old 04-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: Turbo i3uddha

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

I'd hafta change the mirrors, but, yeah I'd take one of those... Bit ONLY if it came in SOLID SILVER[8D]
Psssshhh that wing is soooo Ricer...[:-] j/k
I know, right. And the SCOOP!!! WHoo puts a scoop ON THE ROOF? Thats gotta be the ULTIMATE ricer add-on... It's s'posed to go like THIS--->

Old 04-26-2006, 05:37 PM
2nd Gear

I just want to know how anyone got a hold of that thing in order to sell it. Racing teams don't exactly go bankrupt, they have a pretty big budget and the technologies of those teams are pretty secret. My dad got to work with www.cosworth.com for a while and had to sign all this paperwork in order to even see the engines let alone doing engineering work.

Its listed as bankruptcy estate. I guess Benz got a hold of this auction and shut it down since there was a court order. I don't think they'd want their competitors getting a hold of their technology in the racing circuit.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:47 PM
4th Gear

There is still some privateer racing out there. There was even more in 1990. These cars get sold as time goes on. They aren't destroyed to protect any secrets. And there probably aren't any secrets worth keeping left on this car.

Even the Ferrari F1 team sells its 1yr old engines to another F1 team. And nobody spends more money and time on developing and protecting secrets than the Ferrari team. Racing secrets, if there are any worth keeping, have a short self life.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Senior Administrator

I doubt if it's Benz-O that's ****-blocking. Prolly a family matter. By the end of a season, all the techno secrets are either common knowledge, or OBE, anyway. If a team doesn't want their secrets out their either chop up the cars at seasons end, or dismantle them and re-use the parts elsewhere. Beyond that, after teh seasons over, if it's a works team, the cars generally get stuffed into a warehouse, somewhere, or sold of to "friends" of teh PD's or Company Exec's private collections. Which is how that one ended up in an extate auction, I'd bet. Some ex-Exec croaked... Ex-wife'z making a play for loot, most likely, and has her eye on how much she can leverage her proxy for, money-wise.

Even cars that end up in Museum collections occasionally get sold off, to make room, or money...

Old 04-26-2006, 06:09 PM
2nd Gear

Good point.