Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Quitting the cancer sticks. Help me decide on incentive.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear

I smoked for 8 years and just quit one day...I dunno, it wasnt that hard for me. I truely believe its a mental thing. If you think it's going to be the worst thing you've ever had to do, then it probably will. My buddy quit and everytime he wanted to go buy a pack, he put the money into a jar. Eventually, he just got used to putting money in the jar and saving...kicked one habit and deveolped a good one in return.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

3 bucks down, I can get a sweet air freshener! So far not too bad, no babies kicked. See what happens around 2 weeks.
I'm not too worried about the lack of aftermarket support, performance tuning has existed long before the aftermarket. I have enough displacement to work with that getting to 300hp shouldn't be difficult, I'll be halfway there just removing some restrictions. Not interested in going past that till I've the second motor rebuilt and in it.
AWDaholic, that wins. With your leave, that goes in my sig. Seriously though, I'll be sticking to this motor, doing a swap would be too expensive for my current budget, not to mention a smaller motor would have to boost a lot just to move this beast, my gas mileage is bad enough. Though that tiny v8 is pretty nice...
Thanks for the words of advice and support
As to my vision of the car, I like the way the DTM v8http://www.supercars.net/cars/4553.html sits, sans the race paint. I'd like to put her on a small diet, but don't want to lose too much of the luxury. A short drop in ride height, better stopping and cornering, cleaned up looks, and a mellow hot rod sound would make quite a nice ride I think. Jury is out on the stereo till I get the system out of the parts car, only two of my speakers work. Pics here https://www.audiforums.com/forum/members/inanitydefined-102424-albums-my-1990-v8-quattro-4245/ , no daylight pics till she's decent

Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by joenelson7687
I smoked for 8 years and just quit one day...I dunno, it wasnt that hard for me. I truely believe its a mental thing. If you think it's going to be the worst thing you've ever had to do, then it probably will. My buddy quit and everytime he wanted to go buy a pack, he put the money into a jar. Eventually, he just got used to putting money in the jar and saving...kicked one habit and deveolped a good one in return.
He must own like an R8 by now hahahaha. I used to work at a cigarette shop because I was offered the job and I hadn't had a job for a few months. Well when people come in paying you with nickles and dimes just to get a pack of cigarettes... you wonder how much easier their life would have been without smoking.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:16 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by inanitydefined
3 bucks down, I can get a sweet air freshener! So far not too bad, no babies kicked. See what happens around 2 weeks.
I'm not too worried about the lack of aftermarket support, performance tuning has existed long before the aftermarket. I have enough displacement to work with that getting to 300hp shouldn't be difficult, I'll be halfway there just removing some restrictions. Not interested in going past that till I've the second motor rebuilt and in it.
AWDaholic, that wins. With your leave, that goes in my sig. Seriously though, I'll be sticking to this motor, doing a swap would be too expensive for my current budget, not to mention a smaller motor would have to boost a lot just to move this beast, my gas mileage is bad enough. Though that tiny v8 is pretty nice...
Thanks for the words of advice and support
As to my vision of the car, I like the way the DTM v8http://www.supercars.net/cars/4553.html sits, sans the race paint. I'd like to put her on a small diet, but don't want to lose too much of the luxury. A short drop in ride height, better stopping and cornering, cleaned up looks, and a mellow hot rod sound would make quite a nice ride I think. Jury is out on the stereo till I get the system out of the parts car, only two of my speakers work. Pics here https://www.audiforums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=4245 , no daylight pics till she's decent
A little V8 like the one you have should actually be pretty fun.

$50 and you can have my Eaton M90 supercharger =D

Name:  IMG_0791.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  122.8 KB

Last edited by somebody5788; 10-22-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Actual WIZARD

You had 2 superchargers? Or was the project a no-go?

Old 10-22-2010, 01:14 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
First, you hafta overcome the "trigger" cigs... The 1st one in the morning, after a meal, and last at night; and if you have friends that smoke, when THEY light up. A major trigger is that smokers tend to be drinkers, too. So much so that, when you drink, it becomes a smoking trigger. One other minor trigger (albeit less so, these days) is when someone lights up on TV (or movies). If you can defeat THOSE urges, you're halfway there.

Next, you hafta stop actually BUYING cigs.

Finally, stop bumming.

And, yer done!
This is the key and is what is recommended by psychologists. Did you know that you can shoot heroine all day long in your basement, then try it for the first time at a friend's house or a party and potentially OD? Your body is so used to cues and triggers that it actually prepares for what's to come... this is related closely to your cravings.

Identify the times and places that you used to habitually light up a cig, and do your best to avoid them. If you can't avoid them, try to substitute a new behaviour in place of smoking. Chew gum, drink a big glass of water, something--anything but lighting up.

Good luck!

Old 10-22-2010, 01:29 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Keegan0103
You had 2 superchargers? Or was the project a no-go?
The m90 is off of a Mercury XR-7

Old 10-22-2010, 02:31 PM
5th Gear

I like that supercharger....

If you still have it in 6 months, I may come looking for it.

I smoke cigars, chew, drink, etc. And can/have stopped by choice at different times. More like, got bored with _____ (insert habit here). Its totally willpower. And I can say it can be tough to look at a pack of cigs and not want one, but its a lot easier to avoid buying them. Just a couple days of physical addiction, then its all in your head. Just dont buy them. piece of cake, right?

Last edited by achTTung; 10-22-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

4 days and $12 down. Already feeling better at the end of the day. Every time I've quit before, I've relapsed around two weeks, so that'll be the hard time. That blower would be pretty nice, if I was ready for forced induction I'd grab it. Will have to see what happens

Old 10-25-2010, 10:04 AM
5th Gear

Stay vigilant. Put that 12 dollars someplace so you can see it every day.
Lots of water, lots of distractions. Keep it up!

Quick Reply: Quitting the cancer sticks. Help me decide on incentive.