AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   roll-back mileage (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/roll-back-mileage-29727/)

PandaXpress 04-17-2006 10:22 PM

RE: roll-back mileage

that is a good deal if its true, but i hate the tail lights

techbod 04-18-2006 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Jestnomen

A new clock fitting? What are you talking about?
yes fitting new dash/clocks would be a better statement ie- when the clocks get fried for what ever reason it is perfectly legal to fit new clocks as long as its lodged with the correct government authority and logged with that particular dealer/insurance for resale advantages "im not going into the full details because people might take it the wrong way",

first of its not illegal to roll back the odometer or fit a second hand unit ( as long as you don't use that to forge the miles to enhance the value of the car ) that's a criminal offence,

next its called mileage correction not roll back ( there are thing in the ECU/ECM that keep a record of the mileage on chip and for obvious reasons im not telling how,

some sales garages do abuse this ability and I for one would never do it "keep to the law" its the innocent that get hit in the pocket from dirty deals like that;)

I do hope I make my self perfectly clear on this issue

KarlMarx 04-18-2006 07:54 AM

That car has probably been driven into the dirt, thus... Probably looking at replacing turbo's sometime in the near future...

IMO, go with a car from a dealer, that will get you a good warrenty. Certified Audi is the way to go... ;)

rayveedub 04-18-2006 11:44 AM

it is insanely difficult to roll back mileage on 2001 and up audi's. This car has immobiliser, without the factory cluster working the car will not start, you can get a immobiliser defeat program from unitronic and or revo but they are pretty expensive.

pturbo 04-18-2006 01:51 PM

It bugs me for some reason when they don't put up interior shots on autotrader. And that bit about "many sport upgrades" makes me wonder if the car may have been driven pretty hard for a while. And I'm with Panda on the taillights. Makes you wonder about the quality of the other "sport mods".

rayveedub 04-19-2006 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

ORIGINAL: Jestnomen

A new clock fitting? What are you talking about?
yes fitting new dash/clocks would be a better statement ie- when the clocks get fried for what ever reason it is perfectly legal to fit new clocks as long as its lodged with the correct government authority and logged with that particular dealer/insurance for resale advantages "im not going into the full details because people might take it the wrong way",

first of its not illegal to roll back the odometer or fit a second hand unit ( as long as you don't use that to forge the miles to enhance the value of the car ) that's a criminal offence,

next its called mileage correction not roll back ( there are thing in the ECU/ECM that keep a record of the mileage on chip and for obvious reasons im not telling how,

some sales garages do abuse this ability and I for one would never do it "keep to the law" its the innocent that get hit in the pocket from dirty deals like that;)

I do hope I make my self perfectly clear on this issue
dude not to pull your card or be rude but there is no chip that holds mileage in a VAG ECU to the best of my knowledge. And in newer audi's you have to replace the entire cluster not the individual guage.....try and call your dealership and ask them to buy a odometer and they will tell you the same. again the immobiliser system that is in most of our cars make odometer tampering very difficult, try this test.....unplug any one harness going into your cluster and then try to start your car. i guarentee it wont start.

techbod 04-19-2006 05:15 PM

remove the console to alter the mileage?? why would that be required when it can be accessed through the DLC so its very simple if you have the right tools and as I said "im not prepared to tell how its done or where the software comes from" so as to prevent it from being abused, no card pulled and your not being rude you are just inquisitive like any one else would be;)

KiloByte 04-20-2006 12:05 AM

This whole thing is very shady. Thats a very small description and the no interior shots also make me suspicious. If you buy this car theres a good chance you'll be buying this guy's headache.

apg96 04-20-2006 01:45 AM

avant80@2.6 is there a way to tell if it was done, like if he could get an audi mechanic to check out the car, would they be able to tell?