Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saltwater?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 02:47 PM
4th Gear
Default saltwater?

Just curious if anyone else has a saltwater tank. I am picking 1 up tonight and going to start it's cycle.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja
Default RE: saltwater?

wow .. good luck !

ive always wanted one.. but i know theyre very meticulous & need lots of care.
setting up the corals & plants first etc. etc. keeping everything at the exact balance...

but I think they are well worth the effort.. so much more beautiful than fresh water.
I have 2 good friends that have saltwater tanks...

be sure & send some pics when you get setup ! !

Old 02-12-2007, 03:58 PM
4th Gear

Yea at 1st it will take some tlc but once it's established (about 6 weeks) it will consume about 20minout of yourday. I'll def. put up some pics in about a month or 2.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

i have a hard enough time with the fresh water tank!!

if i want to see the saltwater fish....i just go scuba diving!

Old 02-12-2007, 06:20 PM
2nd Gear

i was looking into saltwater tanks before i got my freshwater piranhas... basically the bigger the saltwater tank, the better. the reasoning for this is that saltwater fish have evolved to a state in which they cannot tolerate changes in the water (as the ocean's temp changes gradually and rarely does the ph change all that much). the bigger the tank, the less chance that a drastic change will occur under your nose (ie power going out and the heater shutting down for a few hours, causing the temp to drop too low).

but besides all the work, of constantly maintaining equilibrium, you can get some cool stuff in the tank. if i were to get anything, id get some nice tropical fish, or barracuda, or maybe even a moray eel... just a few thought

Old 02-12-2007, 06:31 PM
4th Gear

I will probly start with some damselfish which are a lot like the (fresh water) chiclids. They are hardy and tolerant of change but they are a bully fish so they dont end up as "keeper's".After establishedi will get some clowns (Nemo)tang's or triggerfish. I really want a lionfish like the 1 in duece bigalo ill have tosee how thingsgo.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:35 PM
2nd Gear

yea the fish shop by be has a nice adult lion fish... cant remember how much it cost tho, but those things are just so badass

Old 02-13-2007, 01:35 AM
4th Gear

When i was a kid there were cool fish at my doctors office, haha....[&:]

Old 02-13-2007, 10:27 PM

Salt water is a little bit more work and money to maintain. If this is your first time starting a tank, you should start with fresh water. I have a 55 gallon fresh water tank with African Cichlids. They are a good fish to start out with if you are new to all this. They are very agressive and territorial but they can also survive harsh conditions. They are also very colorful...
I plan on changing to salt water later on sometime, ive invested too much in this fresh water tank