Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCARY THING HAPPENED!!!! Gas Pedal Stuck at 100mph!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Senior Administrator

^DOH!

Forgot, I changed my listed age to "Dog" years, so that my answer to Rolling Blackout's "My dog needs a name" thread would seem more credible.

I'm *actually" 126 years old.

Sorry for any confusion.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Site Moderator

Haha
Yeah toyota is in a super hot water over the floor mat thing, its not an uncommon problem among all of the manufactures though. Back in the day when i was still busting tires at Pep Boys i would see that problem at least twice a week on various cars, mostly with aftermarket floor mats. Toyota finally started the recall because a off duty CHP officer made a 911 call while his out of control Lexus was barrelling down the road at 100mph with his whole familly in the car. You can actually hear him freaking out and his familly screaming right before he crashes, (all died) its a super chilling feeling if you ever hear the 911 phone call....

Old 11-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Senior Administrator

Correct me if i'm rong Nate but wont a normal brake system overpower the engine? I remember this from the Audi "sudden acceleration" trial, waaaaaaaay back when. Even tried it a few times, myself @ full throttle (and, as I mentioned, above, @ cruise speeds of about 120-130mph), and my brakes always brought me down.

Of course, I don't panic, either. I lack the "panic" gene, I think, and so am physiologically incapable of doing so.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:49 PM
4th Gear

I do too lack the panic gene. It's great! Lol and no the floor mat was the first thing I checked once I slowed down and it's in the correct position. I'll probably pull the pedal out today and see what the deal-e-o is.

Josh

Old 11-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by Audi_Skydiver
I do too lack the panic gene. It's great!

Josh
Hmmm... Maybe we're related? Izzat YOU in your avvie pic? I think I saw someone looked kinda like that at the last family G2G.

Like spicey food, too, I bet! If it don't burn TWICE, it wasn't HOT enough, am I right?

Driving philosophy: As long as you clear the mirrors & paint, the gap is big enough to shoot...

Learned to threshhold-brake before you heardda ABS...

Am I close on any/all of those?

BTW, don't forget to check under the hood. Linkage cudda got some junk in it and jammed open. If it's mechanical you hafta check the whole thing, end-to-end.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:38 PM
5th Gear

what i don't understand is why the DBW system didn't say hey, he's pressing the brakes so let's cut the fuel. mine does that and it's kind of annoying sometimes but is definitely a good safety feature. glad you're ok josh, time to rip her apart again haha. hey Jazz we may be related too, i've recently gotten the hang of thresholding the brake because i don't have ABS. slows down way faster too

Old 11-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by hiwords
hey Jazz we may be related too, i've recently gotten the hang of thresholding the brake because i don't have ABS. slows down way faster too
Always glad to find another "Kuzin'", kuzin. I KNOW I've seen YOU at the family G2G's, but, who is that wierdo leaning against you?!?!?

ABS is ONLY better on frozen or wet surfaces, or in cases where your tread is below 1/32". In ALL OTHER conditions it INCREASES your stopping distance. The auto manufacturers do not yet have a vested interest in developing a system that self-adjusts to road conditions, so you get stuck with a system that works 15% better 1% of the time and 15% worse the other 99% of the time (actual mileage may vary, void where prohibited, title, tax, and license not included)

Last edited by AWDaholic; 11-22-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:06 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
Hmmm... Maybe we're related? Izzat YOU in your avvie pic? I think I saw someone looked kinda like that at the last family G2G.

Like spicey food, too, I bet! If it don't burn TWICE, it wasn't HOT enough, am I right?

Driving philosophy: As long as you clear the mirrors & paint, the gap is big enough to shoot...

Learned to threshhold-brake before you heardda ABS...

Am I close on any/all of those?

BTW, don't forget to check under the hood. Linkage cudda got some junk in it and jammed open. If it's mechanical you hafta check the whole thing, end-to-end.

LOL yup! Your pretty close!

And the car is DBW not DBC so there is no mechanical linkage between my gas pedal and TB. It's all electronic.

Josh

Old 11-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Senior Administrator

So, the computer shuda recognized teh brake and cut the fuel, I believe. So, you gotta check for codes, too, I guess. Maybe a sensor failed, somewhere along the logical path.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
Correct me if i'm rong Nate but wont a normal brake system overpower the engine? I remember this from the Audi "sudden acceleration" trial, waaaaaaaay back when. Even tried it a few times, myself @ full throttle (and, as I mentioned, above, @ cruise speeds of about 120-130mph), and my brakes always brought me down.

Of course, I don't panic, either. I lack the "panic" gene, I think, and so am physiologically incapable of doing so.
If you're going 100+ mph at WOT the brakes won't be strong enough to slow you down, the inertia of the car would be too great.

Edit: In addition it also depends on engine to braking power, the lexus in that scenario was around 300 horsepower.

Quick Reply: SCARY THING HAPPENED!!!! Gas Pedal Stuck at 100mph!