Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secrets of Speed. Required Watching!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Secrets of Speed.

ORIGINAL: SP4NK3R

....I gotta try that throttle-on-left-foot-braking technique through the twisties!!!!
It's gonna take LOTS of practice to get RILLY good at it. It's the technique I used when I raced karts, in Europe. Not professinally, mind you. We hadda loose group of lunatiics and we'd hit different kart tracks on weekends, and race for bragging rights, mostly. I RULED!!! but then, I've spent many, many years hauling asphalt on European mountain roads, and left-foot braking Driving a turbo helped, too, cause the "public" carts are severely underpowered[:-]

Old 07-19-2006, 04:37 PM
4th Gear

Great video, its probably the best I've seen yet of the Quattro racing history, the driver commentary is awesome. Freakin awesome to see Audi destroying those big V8s About the left foot driving technique...isn't it the same concept as heel and toe driving? They're both used to keep the engine at a certain RPM so theres no turbo lag. I know in A4s heel and toe driving is not easy because the brake is spaced too far from the throttle and is so damn high.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: Trey25

Great video, its probably the best I've seen yet of the Quattro racing history, the driver commentary is awesome. Freakin awesome to see Audi destroying those big V8s About the left foot driving technique...isn't it the same concept as heel and toe driving? They're both used to keep the engine at a certain RPM so theres no turbo lag. I know in A4s heel and toe driving is not easy because the brake is spaced too far from the throttle and is so damn high.
Left-foot braking is similiar, but not really teh same. With left-foot braking you basically keep the clutch engaged and throttle on teh firewall and control BOTH your corner entrance speed AND corner entrance attitude (think RALLY-style cornering, it IS AWD after all, and you basically have ALL 4 wheels pulling you around teh bends) with your left foot ON the brake. Keeping the throttle MASHED (and, therefore, ON BOOST) is the key element. Not rev-matching, as you would with heel&toe driving. Similiar, but different

BTW, the reason the brake-throttle distance is SO GREAT in Audi is because of that whole unintended acceleration, from back in the alte 70's/early 80's. Phugkin OLD people and their American driving styles[:@]

Old 07-19-2006, 05:58 PM
4th Gear

[sm=youreright.gif] it is similar but different.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Senior Administrator

unless you're running from teh cops I wouldn't recommend trying it on dry pavement, but, winter'll be here, soon enough

Old 07-19-2006, 10:52 PM
5th Gear

Amazing video! Thanks!

I wish there was a place where it could be downloaded, though... I want to save it.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:18 PM
2nd Gear

The saved version I have is 134MB. If anyone knows where I could host a file that size that you can download from, I'd be happy to put it up there.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:32 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

Left-foot braking is similiar, but not really teh same. With left-foot braking you basically keep the clutch engaged and throttle on teh firewall and control BOTH your corner entrance speed AND corner entrance attitude (think RALLY-style cornering, it IS AWD after all, and you basically have ALL 4 wheels pulling you around teh bends) with your left foot ON the brake. Keeping the throttle MASHED (and, therefore, ON BOOST) is the key element. Not rev-matching, as you would with heel&toe driving. Similiar, but different
I drive all of my auto-trans equipped cars with both feet, right-accel and left-brake, so it comes very naturally to me in a manual. The trick is that my turbo car that needs left foot braking (the seven) has almost no room in the footwell to allow for easy transition, and the car that had plenty of room for it (the M5) didn't need LFB, it had this snazzy thing called "mAAAAd torkz" and RWD.

For the kidies who might go out and try this....
Left foot braking will usually increase your lap times (I say lap times because I don't want to sound like i'm condoning street racing) in non-turbo cars since you have to brake a little bit earlier to account for the little bit of time that you have to get off the brakes to switch feet, and without having to fight the turbo lag, there is no benefit. Depending on the balance of your car however, you might experience some understeer on the gas, in which case you can tap the brake while still accelerating to help get a little more weight on the front to bring the back around. I would only recommend trying this in a very big parking lot at first.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:23 AM
4th Gear

That's a cool video.

I thought it was funny when Hans Stuck was talking about "driving this car at the end of my career at 37" and I believe that he still drives for BMW now. That's a nice racing career.

Watching that Grouppe B footage at the beginning of that vid was wild. I remember when they cancelled that series because there were too many spectator deaths and (Porsche had produced the 959 and Ferrari had the F40) the organizers said that it was too dangerous because the cars were too fast. I was thinking - "Why don't they just move the damn people off the edge of the road and it might be a little safer? Why cancel such a cool series?

Old 07-20-2006, 12:30 AM
5th Gear

i'm with p, canceling grouppe b racing is one of the saddest things that's ever happened to racing...def the worst thing that's ever happened to rally racing

Quick Reply: Secrets of Speed. Required Watching!!