Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seller beware???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP
Default seller beware???

got someone who wants to buy my car. say they can only get 1 cashiers check. making it for $8K over car price and i am to return difference via western union international to an agent who will "use the funds for expenses necessary to get the car". never heard of this, am i in for more than i want? what questions should i ask them about this. at this point all theyve asked for is my name, phone and address. (name & phone is in the ad. however i was going to meet somewhere public to deliver car, but they would be able to see my address on the title anyway, so that cant really be kept confidential.

Old 08-20-2005, 04:17 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: seller beware???

Uh huh... one of the more popular scams out there, these days... ask them how they feel about prison...

haha, if this pisses you off as much as it pisses me off... you should talk to the police, and see if they can set something up to trap these people. A sting operation! Woot!

Old 08-20-2005, 04:33 PM
2nd Gear

A sting operation!
haha, put those f*ckers in their place. but c'mon man, anything that sounds that sketchy is gonna be a scam.

Old 08-20-2005, 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: kelly

got someone who wants to buy my car. say they can only get 1 cashiers check. making it for $8K over car price and i am to return difference via western union international to an agent who will "use the funds for expenses necessary to get the car". never heard of this, am i in for more than i want? what questions should i ask them about this. at this point all theyve asked for is my name, phone and address. (name & phone is in the ad. however i was going to meet somewhere public to deliver car, but they would be able to see my address on the title anyway, so that cant really be kept confidential.
I have been selling 2 things online and i have recieve 29 of that exact scam so far. What happens is after a week after u have given back the rest of the money via western union the chasier check will bounce and u will be out the money.

Old 08-20-2005, 05:22 PM
6th Gear

LOL, run run!!!! Come on this is obviously a scam.

Old 08-20-2005, 05:36 PM
2nd Gear

One of the biggest scams in the book of scamming. Setup a sting operation and shut them down. I like that idea. RUN

Old 08-20-2005, 06:02 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

thanks. i sent an interesting e-mail back so i wont be hearing from him any more.
my next ? WTF is the purpose of a Cashier's Check if its no different than a personal check?
what if i get a legitimate buyer, how do i handle the transaction?

Old 08-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

Have your bank / their bank handle the transaction - make sure that you arent releasing title / vehicle until check clears and its in your account...

Old 08-20-2005, 07:41 PM
5th Gear

a personal check is not guaranteed, the funds may be there, they may not...with a cashier's check, you give the bank teller cash/withdraw it from your account, and she gives you a check that is SUPPOSED to be guaranteed...the cashier's checks you get from scammers are not real, but they're real enough for your bank to accept it, and two weeks later tell you that you owe them XXXXX dollars. i wouldn't deal with any payments by mail. if someone really wants to buy your car, let them come to you and look at it. if they want to buy it, let them do it in person.

Old 08-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

ORIGINAL: bentframe

if someone really wants to buy your car, let them come to you and look at it. if they want to buy it, let them do it in person.

Amen - who really buys a car w/ out looking at it in person? And you can also ask for a cashiers check from their actual bank...
to ensure its a proper cashiers check, and funds are available.

Quick Reply: seller beware???