Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skip Barber 3 day racing school review

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 05:09 AM
Default Skip Barber 3 day racing school review

I am leaving to go up tomorrow on tuesday. Its the 9th- 11th. At Laguna Seca. I will try and bring my comp up with me so i can keep a small log of what is done each day and a review of it. Im not sure if im gonna want to after each day though. Im also going to try and get a few sessions on tape as they are supposed to have someone there to do that for a small fee. I will prolly wait till teh 3rd day for that. Im super excited for this, i have wanted to do it since i was 10. I will do my best to keep u guys posted.

Day 1
Today we basically learned the basics of what to do when ur in trouble, weight transfer and such. Then Autocross time, they told us to push the car PAST its limits, to lock teh tires, and spin the car. I did and it was fun, not my tires or brakes so what do i care. I then got to just sliding the car around the turns. After this we learned how to heel toe, double and single clutch. No body uses the double clutch b/c its not worth it in those cars. heel and toe isnt bad when the can move the pedals to the perfect position to ur feet and size. I doubt it will be this easy when i get home. BUt literally the pedals btwn gas and brake theres 1/4 in.

Then we did some trips around the track in a Dodge Sprinter van, and they pushed them a lil, couple times had to grab the ooo **** bar. Then some lead follow with insturctors in the neons as pace cars. If u werent in the dirving group u got to ride in the neon and they talked u thru the corners and gears and such.

Then we got to do a few laps on our own with a 3500 RPM limit on ur cars (not actually limit they just yelled it they knew u were over it).

Overall the covered most of the basics and what u need to know.

The cars:
Well the race cars are nice, very light, shortest throw shifter ever, No power steering or brakes. Very stripped down. The coolest thing is they handle 1.2gs very well, and they are predictable for when ur sliding, u can see ur brakes lock the tire. U can even telling the difference btwn weight distribution. Coming over the top of the corkscrew ur steering goes light which is weird and the air even pushes ur head around at high rates of speed.

Any one hav eany questions about my first day?

Day 2

Today we got to push the car to around 4200 RPM on the track. Very quick for learning for most ppl (still spinning which i didnt see how). It was very fun but then u just want to go faster, and then i just did, i would go past to where i felt comfortable on the corner, or i would leave it in 3rd instead of shifting to 4th b/c u dont need to other than for the limit they set. Some very quick corners, a few with no lift at all needed, if u can keep the correct line. Corkscrew now that i know the proper line is amazingly fun. Great feeling, the downforce when coming down is great.

After lunch

We did a braking exercise. Basically u start from the start line and go full throttle (no lfiting at all unless u cheat) and u get on the brakes as hard and quickly as possible without locking them. Very fun. The then kept moving the cone closer and closer in. This lead to some very fun spinning incld 2 of mine which 1 was intentional b/c they let my mom go to the corner and watch (they are very guest friendly. They give u trips in the vans to good watch spots and even trips around the track at speed in the neons). The other spin (which was teh best spin of the day b/c it scared teh guy behind me into bailing into the gravel pit with me), i didnt blip the throttle when i down shifted and while braking at limit and locked the REAR wheels spinning the car extremmly fast. I then put both feet in (brake and clutch) locking them and i spun into the gravel and had to be towed out. I would say that everyone spun at least once during this (especially towards the end b/c lots of gravel was on the corner).

Overall today was a blast, they helped u find where the actual limits of the car are and what its capable of. And trust me it capable of alot.

Tomorrow all rev limits are gone which will let me stay in 3rd where i want to without them saying i should slow down a lil (they actually dont yell that much unless ur over ur actual limit of abilities)
We also get to start lapping and passing. Before we stopped at the start/finish line to get feedback from the intsructors on the dif. corners.

Then after lunch we get to do racing starts and they promised watching this will be more entertaining than the braking b/c the braking was in the 2 corner (1 doesnt really count as a corner thou) and the amount of spins double wide with 12 cars in a pack will be fun. Im pretty excited for it. And u will never get a better vantage point than being just on the other side of the walls. As close as u can be out of a car (if u stay in the van they are parked deep in the gravel pits. Also fun to watch.

Day 3

Today wasnt much, just exactly what u want constant full lapping with passing allowed but only in certain zones. Very fun stuff, u can critic urself before they tell u what u already know. If u get 4 tires off the track or spin (not being able to recover ur slide) then u have to pit for feedback or they black flag u.

After lunch they did a few practice starts and then a single file restart. All very fun, and they let u pass if u could (i passed teh max of 1 position on each time). Starts are very fun, and the teach u to wait for the flag that is in the distance.

Then it was back to more lapping. Pretty straight forward fun, exactly what u came to do.

The 3 days was amazing and well worth it. They also offer alot of advice at the end as to what to do next, (not all the options are another one of their schools) I am also eligibale for a SCCA Regional license or i can continue into the 2 day advanced and lapping and then race in their series. I dont have any money now so will see what is next. But im gonna try and take it as far as i can.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:35 AM
Default RE: Skip Barber 3 day racing school

oooo man are you going to have fun. I did the same thing last year at laguna. FUNNEST 3 DAYS OF MY LIFE!!! ur gonna have a blast. the rt 2000's are some fun little machines. only 135 hp but they only weigh like 1200 lbs!!!
and not to mention your gonna be driving on one of the best courses in the US. CORKSCREW!!!! i cant even begin to think of everything i learned there too. they guys are awesome. be sure to watch out for this guy named andrew i think. exactly like jon lovitz. haha and be sure to get the video of yourself. it still makes the hair on my neck stand when i watch it. great experience to have. have fun man

Old 08-08-2006, 05:41 AM

oo im sure i will, even if the instructors sucked, 3 days with an open wheel race car and an open track. wow, im sooo excited and even more so after reading ur post. Now how teh hell am i gonna sleep tonight of tomorrow.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:44 AM
4th Gear

Remember to brake at the top of the hill!

Old 08-08-2006, 03:47 PM
5th Gear

Damned Laguna... bane of my existence in Forza.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:00 AM
3rd Gear

^I know.

Well, I get to....install control arms, engine/tranny mounts, an axle and replace the timing belt, water pump, AC belt, PS belt, serp belt, and coolant temp. sensor from August 9-11. *** .

Old 08-09-2006, 01:15 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: Yuikio

^I know.

Well, I get to....install control arms, engine/tranny mounts, an axle and replace the timing belt, water pump, AC belt, PS belt, serp belt, and coolant temp. sensor from August 9-11. *** .
Haha dude that sucks. I have to change my timing belt and all the other goodies soon, too... I can't get my front bumper off, though. Hmm! My car licks.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:44 AM
2nd Gear

man that's awesome.

i wish i could get heal and toe down... but my legs are too long so i can never pull it off when i sit so close to the wheel...... fecking disproportional body.

GOOD LUCK MAN! just have fun!

Old 08-09-2006, 03:20 AM

i will, im up here right now, chilling in the hotel room. Im gonna get video if the offer it, and im gonna get all 3 days if i can. I will def post it up here if i get it. Im super excited, not usre how im gonna sleep.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:13 AM
1st Gear

I few of my friends have done skip barber, but one of my friends was looking telling me about the Audi Experience. Supposedly it is the same thing as any other racing school, but instead you are driving audi's

Quick Reply: Skip Barber 3 day racing school review