Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speeding ticket on hill, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSeven
Actually, an officer can give you a ticket for ONE mph over the limit.
That is if your state's speed signs are posted with a "speed limit" haha. Here in Oregon we have two sets i.e. "speed limit 65" and "speed 65" its nice b/c there is leeway when you are in a "speed" posted zone, but in a limited zone not so much.

How are your guy's? speeds or speed limits?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:32 AM

^^^ wait does that aply to washington state??
cuz over here i've noticed that we have 2 different sings too, like you said its the "speed limit" ones and the "speed" [which are yellow] so is that how that works??
or what would be the difference??

Old 12-03-2008, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by audi_n00b
Fight it in court. You'll get away with it because there's no way a cop can give you a ticket for going 8 mph over because your speedometer is not calibrated exactly so there's some margin for error in civilian cars.
Sorry but the speed limit is the speed limit. If the speedometer is off for any reason its the owners responsibility to have it fixed! It's not an excuse.

The best bet is to remover the tint.....from the front windows only! The rears are allowed to be tinted. That would be mandatory regardless of the speeding issue. Second......you were speeding and when you saw him you slowed. You got caught. If you try to fight it and loose you cant go to traffic school. So its a toss up. I say pay the ticket since you were speeding, go to traffic school and be done with this matter!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:52 AM
4th Gear

use ur get out of jail free card

Old 12-03-2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by mexican47
^^^ wait does that aply to washington state??
cuz over here i've noticed that we have 2 different sings too, like you said its the "speed limit" ones and the "speed" [which are yellow] so is that how that works??
or what would be the difference??
In Oregon both 'speed limit' and 'speed' signs are white. the yellow speed signs we have are suggested speeds, for corners, or off-ramps, etc. that don't necessarily have to be followed if you chose not to, more geared towards trucks or vans or whatever, vehicles that can not corner as well as a car or what not. im not sure about wash.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:46 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nick17
I am not trying to blame my friend for any of this, I know its my fault it happened. I actually volunteered to take him back too(i was only supposed to pick him up), after i got the ticket, in a pretty bad snow storm too. all I was saying was that I am noticing a pattern here. I already took the tint off, since its really no big deal, I'm taking it in tomorrow to get inspected and that part of the ticket over with.
as you get older, and realize that not beeing seen is a good thing. cops are looking for YOU. they are looking for young kids to pull over. they think every kid your age smokes weed while they drive, and has a reason to be pulled over. most of them are just plain fuchin nosey. unfortunatly, they are often right. this helps them to zero in on you when you drive by. if its your loud *** exhaust, your dope *** fender vents, your flame stickers, whatever. unpimp your ride, and they will probably not pull you over anymore. try to attract as little attention as possible.SLEEPER!!!!

Attached Thumbnails speeding ticket on hill, need help-ericsiphonepics-253.jpg  
Old 12-03-2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by mctavish11
In Oregon both 'speed limit' and 'speed' signs are white. the yellow speed signs we have are suggested speeds, for corners, or off-ramps, etc. that don't necessarily have to be followed if you chose not to, more geared towards trucks or vans or whatever, vehicles that can not corner as well as a car or what not. im not sure about wash.
that makes sense!
i guess i'll look it up to just to make sure... thnx anyways!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 PM
5th Gear

btw, when the cop asks you how fast you think you were going, he's more or less asking for an admission of guilt.

if they ask, say 'the speed limit', and when he says guess again, tell him you really dont know. just tell him anything but a number, because then you're admitting to speeding.

otherwise fight it, theres a chance the cop doesnt show, then the ticket is dropped.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Tech Guru

^ True dat. Especially when you get to small towns and a lot of the cops are part time. They'll work for different towns during the week and if you get nailed in Town A and the day you go to court the cop is working Town C, he/she won't show. This is because Town C won't pay the cop to go to court in Town A so he/she just loses money over a ticket that probably wasn't very serious in the first place.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

Yeah the ticket was given by a state cop on the expressway in a smaller town, I just hope he doesn't show. I was going to try to do the thing by mail but when I went to the State police station for my tint part of the ticket, the officer decided "he would help me out" and call the courthouse in the town the ticket was in and set up a court date, which I have not been notified of yet. So now I am trying to decide if I want to cancel the court date and try to take care of this in the mail, as I have heard that most of the time you dont even get a response from the officer because he doesnt get paid to, where as he gets paid to go to court, so they just drop it.

Quick Reply: speeding ticket on hill, need help