Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subscription free DVR

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 06:03 AM
Default Subscription free DVR

Im looking for a subscription free DVR for my dorm room for the upcoming year. I dont want a Tivo or one of the cable boxes with one inside, so i would like it to be free to run other than buying it. But also i would need the season pass type feature, b/c there are alot of shows out that i prolly wont be around to watch but would still liek to see. Any suggestions or one you guys have?

Old 08-04-2006, 06:16 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Subscription free DVR

spam. (jk)

ahahaha

Wait so you DONT WANT TIVO? Or you dont want a TIVO that is built into a cable box?

My roommate has one made from Toshiba. It is a FULL-TIVO and hook up to your cable box. (via coaxial cable) it can recieve updates wi-fi & has season pass options. burns dvds also

Old 08-04-2006, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like maybe you want to run it thru you're computer...

Old 08-04-2006, 12:47 PM
4th Gear

Why don't you want a cable box dvr? You probably need cable to have anything to record anyway.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:16 PM

check out mythtv.org its a free build your own tivo software, it's based on linux so its a bit of a pain in the *** to get working but once you do its pretty sweet. Otherwise theres one called Beyond TV which is really badass, and easy to install but its about $100 bucks for the software.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:23 PM

i dont want it in a cable box b/c i dont think its possible to have a cable box in a dorm room plus i dont want to have to pay more money b/c cable is already given t me for free. I want a tivo, but at least the one we have right now requires a monthly subscription. I just dont want to have to pay 9.99 every month for it. And i think the lifetime membership we got was like $200

Old 08-04-2006, 06:55 PM
4th Gear

Get a compu with a tv tuner and some software and you might as well get a large plasma screen to write all of those important college papers on too. Presto! You got yourself a dvr and entertainment center and you can tell your parents that it is all a computer to help you make good grades. I would also get a 2nd HD for the compu and have it dedicated to dvr action. I should charge for this kind of advice.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Senior Administrator

...but, since you're giving it away, FREE... How should my sister-in-Law go about keeping Crickets from getting into teh ground-floor of her Townhouse?

Old 08-04-2006, 07:19 PM

the only thing is my comp doesnt have a tv tuner in it and i have a laptop, if i did do it this way i would get like a 200gb external hardrive for it.

Do u know of a tuner card for a laptop?

Old 08-04-2006, 07:24 PM
4th Gear

The laptop won't really work, because you will be taking your laptop with you places. You'll be in the library doing what you are supposed to be doing in college(aka talking to chicks). You need a compu that will always be in the room for a dvr. You can get a cheap one with a card that has a tv tuner.

Quick Reply: Subscription free DVR