Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Sun Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:55 AM
3rd Gear

I paid $120 for my electrics and have had them for almost 4 years and they still look great. I agree with you tho Flippant, if you know that you lose stuff like that then def get some cheapies. My gf is perfect example, her mom got her some Burberry sunglasses and she has no idea where they are anymore, and the glasses she loves she found in the lost and found at work, go figure. I know I'll never buy her some nice ones.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 AM

I buy things I like and if they happen to be expensive then that's the way it goes. I bought them b/c I like the look and fit and they stay on my head the best and I work on the water so keeping them on my head is important. Cheap polarized sunglasses just have a film over the lens which scratches off easily.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

most of my girlfriends have these expensive channel or what ever. i like expensive things but just choose the REALLY EXPENSIVE things.
i'll give up the channel glasses in hopes to buy an RS4 cab.

but sometimes there are benifits to buying expensive things. i think oakley will replace broken glasses for no cost. i know the expensive handbags are like that. like if a zipper goes out, they will fix it or replace it with a new one...for as long as you own it.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:31 PM
5th Gear

I have 3 pairs of glasses right now, and looking for 2 more pairs.

For everyday use, I have a pair of Oakley Juliets in the Carbon/Black Iridium... then I have a pair of Oakley Penny's in some Plasma (silver) frames with Gray Iridium lenses... I like both of them, the x-metal series is GREAT. My Penny's are like 5 years old and are still perfect.
For sports I have a pair of Oakley Racing Jackets... I like them, but I've got a brown lens in them right now and they are too dark sometimes when I'm mountain biking under the trees. I'll be looking into something with replaceable lenses.

For regular glasses... I'm after a pair of Maui Jims. Glass lenses, classic style, very clean and simple. I'll likely get an aviator style frame. I think Maui Jim might suit your needs. Kind of expensive, though... but I've found glasses to be worth what you spend.

Bolle is a brand I used to buy. Great stuff... I was anti-Oakley at the time, and have since crossed over to the dark side (for reasons I cannot remember).

Old 08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Site Moderator

I liked your "why am I such a ******?" thread much better...

Old 08-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Zombie Defense Force

we could join the two threads. "why im such a ****** with sunglasses on?"

Old 08-13-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by McGovs1.8B5
Electric FTW.
+100. I have the BSG's (which i got on steep and cheap for $15) and they are phenomonal.

also i have the Anon Rico's (also 15 on steep and cheap) which are pretty good.

but i will always hold a special place in my heart for the wallmart aviators which everone now wears.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by MrFlippant
Do people seriously think that sunglasses are worth hundreds of dollars for a pair? How much do you think it costs Oakley to make a pair of sunglasses? Honestly, no way I'd spend that kind of money on something that I'm probably going to lose or break within a year.
If you care about your eye health, and you've done some comparative shopping, you will quickly find there are HUGE differences between a $20 pair of sunglasses from the drugstore, and a $250 pair from a boutique sunglass store, such as Sunglass Hut.

The best way to find the best sunglasses for YOU is to go to a (preferably independent, not chain) store, and try on everything you can. The clerks usually can help you decide the shape and style the best suits your mug, and you can hone in on a few pairs you like from that point. Then go home and buy them online for much cheaper! I did that with my D&G eyeglasses (actually took an online price quote into a shop) and they honored the price. I saved $200. (D&G ain't cheap, people...) I've had them for eight years now and they look like new, so in their (non-sunglass) case, the money was well spent.

REVO sunglasses, in my opinion, are among the best of the best. I've had four pairs in 15 years, one of which I sold, one pair flew out the window while driving (long story), and I still have two pairs for the good part of 12 years now. Maybe I could be a little more current in styling, but the lenses are incredible, and the frames are built like tanks. After regular wear for 12 years, neither pair has a single scratch, and I haven't exactly handled them with TLC, either. The most important factor for me as far as sunglasses go is the lenses. All other factors fall behind, even style. For this excellence alone, I am loyal to REVO.

I also own Maui Jim (love them), Serengeti, Ray Ban, and a few cheap pairs used for watersports. The Serengetis are amazing for fishing; best polarized lenses I own.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:02 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by CAB509
I love the Gascan's but everyone seems to have them.

I had a pair of Maui Jim's that broke this year while I was camping with them
and I have a pair of Oakley Canteens in flat black that I've seem to misplaced somehow, so I'm in need of some new glasses too.

I'm thinking I might get some polarized flak jackets to replace my Maui Jim's and get antother pair of Canteen's or Gascan's to replace my lost pair.
Yeah the canteens are practically the same exact style, just a jagged sorta side going on. I like those too.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:04 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by S4sweetee
what? nobody has mentioned WAL-MART????
i drive in a $10 pair their finest! they're kind of a blue mirror type that just so happen to match my car color!! i call em my sprint blue sunglasses!

amze...you need to post a pic of the glasses ON you. that way we know if they look good on your bulbous eggshaped head! ...and with just the RIGHT PAIR....maybe you can date a GIRL!!

Quick Reply: Sun Glasses