Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

For those debating anti theft, lo jack etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:52 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: For those debating anti theft, lo jack etc

Interesting read... And interesting points.

Thanks for the info though, CHIEF

Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear

This started as such a good topic, can we please stick to it. Start a thread about conspiracy theories or i love hugging treesif it concerns you so.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:10 AM
2nd Gear

my experance with lo jack is and i hope they have changed is that yea it is great when your car is stolen but when you end up with a theft that knows the lo jack's company policies the little black box had to be installed in 1 of 3 place in the car 1 under the steering wheel but the ingition 2 in the headliner by the dome light (most likey spot due to the antenna) and 3 behind the radio. i use to do car / car stereotheft recoveries and replacement for the insureance companies and i had 7 brand new acura gs-r's stolen from the dealer all with lo jack and the theft or thives ripped out the lo jack boxes and left them where the cars where and striped the cars and i was sent out to the dealer to look at the cars ( all that was left was rear quarters and frames on all of them) and do a report (for state farm insurance)of how them where stolen even though they all had lo jack installed in them and lo jack had no record of the transponers when the cars where reported stolen when the dealer opened and found out that the cars where gone.

this was when lo jack was just starting and i hope they have changed the way they do things and there poilcies

Old 10-11-2007, 12:59 PM
2nd Gear

Wow, dude. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I only brought up what I thought was a potential for misuse because I felt that it was relevant to me, and I'm sure there are others who feel it is relevant. You mentioned in your original post that there are things that the authorities can do with it that the public is not privy to. But I digress. My intentions were not to discredit your info or to imply that you personally would misuse this system, nor did I intend to spark a political or idealogical debate.

I'm not trying to make any enemies. You seem like a decent guy, I enjoy reading your "Ask a police officer" thread and appreciate your contributions to the forums. If my remarks offended you in any way, I apologize.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear

Nah no offense by you, i apologize for my curt response, was a long day. We laid an officer to rest so we went out and had a few. You bring valid points to the table. My internet and text messaging should be disabled while intoxicated to save me from calling ex girlfriends or posting like an ***.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear

No worries. I'm sure a bad day in your line of work would be enough to make most ordinary people snap. I'm sorry to hear about your fallen officer, I hope his/her family is doing ok, as well as everyone in your department.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:13 AM
5th Gear

I used to work for OnStar... Definitely a great idea, but yeah... I hate that GM owns it.

It can't be installed in other vehicles... I can tell you that much. If you want OnStar... you're stuck in a GM car. I don't think it's worth it

And yeah... they rocked the analog shizza for wayyyy too long. And "OnStar Personal Calling" was so freaking expensive... I remember one dude asked me how much it'd cost to switch over, since he only ever used his cell in his car... Well, he figured he used 8000 minutes a month (he was on an unlimited everything plan) and I told him our cheapest plan worked out to 25 cents a minute. So yeah, for a mere 2 grand a month, he could go hands free! Hahaha
Who knows how much it is now... most things about OnStar are gimmicky and crap. The big things though... they can definitely save lives.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:21 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

A former friend of mine kept saying that OnStar was crap because it's no better than a cell phone. However, he never had anything to say when I asked "what good is a cell phone if you're unconscious?"

Old 10-14-2007, 12:38 AM
1st Gear

they can track your cell phone if it has gps. a couple years back, a couple had their car stolen from their driveway w/the cell phona nad their 2 yo inside. it was tracked by the cell phone, but the company wouldn't release the whereabouts to the authorities. they had the cell owners consent and the police in direct contact w/them live. co policy was to never devulge the location of a customer. period. eventually, 4 hours after first locating the vehicle, someone high enough in the co ok'd the release and the child was rescued w/in 5 minutes. i believe this incident was the first major national event where the public started to actually say wtf, use it for some good. at least its the first i know of. as for following/tracking me, i'm @ peace w/what i do and how i do it. i say bring it.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:43 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Yeah, but, if you crash and you're unable to make a phone call,then the cell phones gps is useless unless someone else decides to look for it.

Quick Reply: For those debating anti theft, lo jack etc