Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuckerman Ravine - Anyone Been There??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:21 PM
2nd Gear
Default Tuckerman Ravine - Anyone Been There??

For you North East Skiers/Boarders....Looking for information on Tuckerman Ravine. I've been doing research on time4tuckerman.com which has lots of great informtion, but was hoping maybe some one here has been there and can give me some first hand information.

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2006, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Tuckerman Ravine - Anyone Been There??

wow, you just blew my mind with that. my mom has skiied tuckerman years ago.

i will ask her about it.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:42 PM
2nd Gear

James, I pm'd you. did you get it?

Old 04-25-2006, 08:09 PM
2nd Gear

Yep...got it ... thanks!

So here is the report:

6.5 hour drive from NYC...only pulled over once...in NH...64 in a 50..."Sir, I need your license and registration" I give him my insurance card too..."Sir, this is NH, the 'live free or die state, we don't need to see your insurance card'...they take that stuff serious in NH. Gave me a warning..."I don't know why but there are lots of moose out tonight, better slow down'....I bet they say that to all the out of staters.

4 hours sleep....4 hour hike...one disasterous run. This is all backcountry boarding, and the conditions were not good. We were hoping they would improve, but no...rock hard icy, uneven surface, 45-50% grade...pretty damn steep. The top part was fine, but once you get to the steeps, it was all over...my three friends and I all lost our edges, and slid/fell/tumbled 700 vertical feet. Lucky to excape with snow/ice burns and a small cut or two.

We saw 10 guys come down the same route and all 10 lost it all the way from the top...guys were getting really beat up. One broken clavicle and any number cuts and scrapes and broken equipment. like I said, conditions were not good. We probably should not have riden it that day. But is was an adventure. Hope to get back up there next year on a day with better conditions...

Packing up for the hike

After hiking up the steep section...we are going to ride that mess behind us.

Looking down at the little ants climbing up

Continuing to hike up the gentle section towards the top of Mt. Washington

Sorry no pictures of the actual decent...to busy trying to make it down in one piece.

Yardsale from various skiers

And since this is an audi forum...the car ready to take us home

Old 04-25-2006, 08:27 PM
4th Gear

That's a great story, but all of your picts are giving me the dreaded red x. Can everyone else see them but me?

Old 04-25-2006, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear

Hmmm...It might be me...I am linking them from Kodak Gallery...Maybe I have sometype of proxy issue...

Old 04-25-2006, 10:41 PM
2nd Gear

Sounds just like it was when my mom went. glad you did not hurt yourself. 40 - 50% grade is real steep. maybe next year an AF camping/hiking/skiiing(boarding) GTG at Tuckermans?

Old 04-27-2006, 01:45 PM
2nd Gear

That is a great idea...roadtrip/hike/ride gtg!

Here is a link to another forum where I posted a report on the trip. The pics should work here.

Tuckerman Trip 4-22-06

Here is a random pic of our trusty ride fueling up once again...long trip, thirsty car....