Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Are we alone? *Warning alot of reading*

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:39 PM
4th Gear
Default Are we alone? *Warning alot of reading*

Just read on article about Pluto being demoted from the well known 9th planet to a lesser dwarf planet status. I've always had an on and off interest in cosmology and the latest discoveries. So this got me thinking...From the dawn of man and the understanding of earth and its place in our solar system, the question has always be there. Are we alone? I'm by NO means an expert on this subject, just a curious open-minded guy making an educated guess, a theory if you will. In our solar system earth supports life, ok that we know. There are billions (if not more) of galaxies in the universe, and in those galaxies there are trillions (if not more) of solars systems, and in those solar systems there are an infinite number of planets. Now I find it hard to believe of that almost inconceivable number of possibilities, there is only one planet the right size and distance from a sun with all the ingredients in place to support life. The mathematical odds (though nonscientific) support the pro life theory, and that life form MUST follow the basic laws of physics and biology that govern the universe, so nothing like the aliens in the movies. Everyone has there own opinion on this subject, that was my two cents.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:46 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Are we alone? *Warning alot of reading*

My question is simply: Does it matter? Even if there is life thats like 9999999999 billion miles away what are the chances of us ever meeting eachother?

Old 08-24-2006, 05:54 PM
4th Gear

No not really, but wouldn't it be cool to know?

Old 08-24-2006, 06:07 PM
18T
4th Gear

No way that we are alone. It is extremely egocentric to believe that this vastness that is the cosmos can only support life in one place.

Our milky way galaxy is composed of somewhere around 200-400 BILLION stars. the universe is made up of hundreds of billions of galaxies that our technology allows us to see. Imagine all the stuff that we will be able to see in a hundred years, and if we are lucky enough to be here in a 1000 years! So far the odds are with us! 1 out of 1 for life in the galaxy! now its just a matter of time. And mathematically its impossible for life not to be flourishing somewhere else.

When kilo said about distances is true, but dont forget that we have only had technology for about 100 years. Other inteligent life could be hundreds, thousands and even millions of years ahead of us. We are serously babies in the over all scheme of things.

Our understanding of the universe is one of a child entering a huge library. The walls are covered to the ceilings with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written these books. It doe s not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. But the child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects

Old 08-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: KiloByte

~ what are the chances of us ever meeting eachother?
Just because YOU never get invited to any of teh Inter-Galatic mixers...

ORIGINAL: vnv727

weve been sending out radio signals for a hundred years to try to communicate with "aliens" there hasnt been a response back which means that within 50 years of sound assuming aliens would want to talk to us and have the technology(radio) then there arent any aliens within 50 years of radio contact
Actually, we've been sending our radio signals out, whether we wanted to, or not, for as long as we've had radio transmitters, technically. But, given teh VAST amount of galatic static being broadcast, naturally, from EVERYWHERE, fundamentally, what are teh odds that any other species intelligent enough to recieve radio waves from outer space would even be able to distinguish OUT transmissions from the phenomenal amount of background noise thats coming in? Or, US being able to do teh same, shoule they actually understand and send somethig our way? BTW, it's not "sound" that travels through space, it's much higher energy wavelengths... Given a (relatively) uniform medium, such as the vacuum of space, light and radio waves travel approximately 93 MILLION miles/year. Inasmuch as we've been "broadcasting" since, say, 1890, our very first transmissions have theoretically reached close to 1 billion miles... If someone or something out that far "heard" and understood the implications, and responded in such a way as to distinguish itself from spatial noise, it'd still be 100 years, or more, before we "heard" a response. I'll be doing other stuff while I wait for the reply...

~ also aliens can not move at the speed of light and certainly not faster than it.....
And, you know this HOW, Exactly?!?!?

~nothing with any mass can move at the speed of llight because the amount of force to move something the size of a spaceship at that speed would take all the energy+ in the universe.....
As far as our *current* understanding of natural laws would have us believe, you mean...

~ so therefor we are stuck with pretty much aliens withing our solor systems
Speak for YOURSELF!!!

Old 08-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Zombie Defense Force

we are not alone

Old 08-24-2006, 09:35 PM
3rd Gear

quote:

weve been sending out radio signals for a hundred years to try to communicate with "aliens" there hasnt been a response back which means that within 50 years of sound assuming aliens would want to talk to us and have the technology(radio) then there arent any aliens within 50 years of radio contact

Actually, we've been sending our radio signals out, whether we wanted to, or not, for as long as we've had radio transmitters, technically. But, given teh VAST amount of galatic static being broadcast, naturally, from EVERYWHERE, fundamentally, what are teh odds that any other species intelligent enough to recieve radio waves from outer space would even be able to distinguish OUT transmissions from the phenomenal amount of background noise thats coming in? Or, US being able to do teh same, shoule they actually understand and send somethig our way? BTW, it's not "sound" that travels through space, it's much higher energy wavelengths... Given a (relatively) uniform medium, such as the vacuum of space, light and radio waves travel approximately 93 MILLION miles/year. Inasmuch as we've been "broadcasting" since, say, 1890, our very first transmissions have theoretically reached close to 1 billion miles... If someone or something out that far "heard" and understood the implications, and responded in such a way as to distinguish itself from spatial noise, it'd still be 100 years, or more, before we "heard" a response. I'll be doing other stuff while I wait for the reply...
good point...it's basically the same thing as when you see stars at night...you are seeing what they looked like however many years ago. So you can actually be looking at a star that already supernova'd

Old 08-24-2006, 10:02 PM

That is true , Most of the stars you see are actually not even there. The light from the star is still travelling after it died. thats cool.

Also , I have always had this certain interest in the cosmos and astronomy. Its verrrry interesting cause the truth lies out there. The reason and truth of your reality lies all around you , especially out there.

Hopefully one day we all understand the truth of the reality of the human existence. =) far beyond all of our wildest dreams.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:19 AM
4th Gear

I think you meant to say astronomy instead of cosmology.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:52 AM
4th Gear

No I meant cosmology, but astronomy could be substituted also...
Yea its pretty cool that most distant stars and galaxies visible now are not actually in "real time" Its basically looking back in time.

Quick Reply: Are we alone? *Warning alot of reading*