Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do people?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Tech Guru
Default why do people?

i know this has been gone over a million times, and there is a pet peve thread/rant thread....... but why do noobs and other d-bags have to call wheels rims? and tires wheels?

there are 5 threads calling wheels rims before i run out of new topics..... if i click todays posts... i bet if i go in everyone of them there are at least 2 people not counting the op, that calls them rims

i know imolia s4 ranted about it, and i have ranted about it, but why oh why can't our youth call the wheel the wheel, the tire the tire? i understand people from across the pond spelling tire tyre.. or whatever... but at least they have the general idea

rim, is the bead or part of the wheel where the tire mates to wheel

here is the defenition of "rim" per wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rim
Rim From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search[/align] [/align] [/align] Look up rim in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.[/align] [/align] Rim may refer to: [ul][*]Rim (band), from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA[*]Rim (coin), the sharp circular (or otherwise shaped) edge which surrounds the coin design[*]Rim (craters), the part of a crater that extends above the height of the local surface[*]Rim (firearms), a projection machined into the bottom of a firearms cartridge[*]Rim (novel), by Alexander Besher[*]Rim, the inner part of a wheel on which the tire is mounted.[*]Rim of the World High School (RHS), A high school in Lake Arrowhead, California[*]*******, or rimjob, a term for ****-oral sex[/ul] RIM may stand for: [ul][*]Regional Independent Media, an English journalist qualification[*]Research In Motion, the Canadian based wireless device company known for its BlackBerry[*]Retail Inventory Management, a standard software for Vendor Managed Inventory by the Bertelsmann division arvato[*]Retail Inventory Management, a General Motors parts ordering system[*]Responsible Information Management[*]Revolutionary Internationalist Movement, an international Maoist organization[*]Residual Income Method, a company valuation model in Corporate Finance[*]Reaction Injection Molding, a type of processing for network polymers[*]Remote Integrated Multiplexer, the Telstra term for a Digital loop carrier[*]Reliance India Mobile, a mobile telephony services offered[/ul] [edit] See also [ul][*]RIMS[/ul]here is "rims"
RIMS From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search[/align] RIMS may refer to: [ul][*]The Risk and Insurance Management Society, a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing risk management[*]The Research Institute for Mathematical Sciences, attached to Kyoto University in Japan[*]The Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences, is in Ranchi, the Capital of Jharkhand State of India[/ul] [edit] See also [ul][*]Rim[/ul]
now here is wheel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel

i am not going to put the whole thing, cause it is extensive

this is the only part i am going to put, as it states my point exactly... if you wanna read it, it is at the bottom of the link

In recent times, the custom aftermarket carwheel has become a status symbol. These wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims[/b]." The term "rim" is incorrect because the rim is only a portion of a wheel, just as with a coffee cup or meteor crater. These "rims" have a great deal of variation, and are often very shiny. Some custom "rims" include a bearing-mounted, free-spinning disc which continues to rotate by inertia after the automobile is stopped. In slang, these are referred to as "Spinners".

Old 04-11-2008, 10:12 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: why do people?

I'm gonna get me some spinner rimz yo. thoz are dope. Can i fit 22s on my whip? I really want deez rimz

Old 04-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: McGovs1.8B5

I'm gonna get me some spinner rimz yo. thoz are dope. Can i fit 22s on my whip? I really want deez rimz
and that is fine, when you make fun of it, but there are people out there who are selling rims..... i don't just want the rim, i want the whole wheel and tire too.........

Old 04-11-2008, 10:22 AM
3rd Gear

I know its retarded. my dad works in the auto industry and when I was younger he would say the same thing your sayin when I called them rims.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Guru

i was just ranting

Old 04-11-2008, 10:38 AM
1st Gear

Well you have a good point, but i see you are from missouri. There's a good chance that you refer to soda as "pop"

If that's the case, you have no room to talk

Old 04-11-2008, 11:01 AM
3rd Gear

soda and pop is called coke

Old 04-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

^^then what is "sprite" called?

and turbo.....it is then OUR MISSION to teach the ways, to lead the ignorant, to spread the good word....that wheels are the pretty silver/black thingies that make our tires look so nice!!

Lead on....oh great one!!

Old 04-11-2008, 11:27 AM

^
"I'll take a coke"
"Sure what kind?"
"Sprite"

Thats how it goes...

On topic I also hate wheels being called rims. I wasn't aware people were calling tires wheels... I would be so confused if someone said that to me.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:27 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

It's just like calling a guns magazine a 'clip.' Anyone who does that obviously has never seen a real gun, thinks paintballing is some sort of advanced military training, probably fell down the stairs several times in their infancy, and thinks that Fiddy Cent is the toughest guy in the world.[:@][:@][:@]

Quick Reply: why do people?