Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THIS WILL MAKE YOU THINK TWICE...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:09 PM
2nd Gear
Default THIS WILL MAKE YOU THINK TWICE...

hey guys i know theres alot of talk on here about makin your car faster and all that which is fine just please be careful.. im sure some of you have seen this i just got it off of audizine.com

5 Killed When BMW Flies Off Elevated Airstrip, Hits Top Of Tree

Car Split In Half On Impact

http://www.ocala.com/article/2008012...55/1001/NEWS01

http://www.local6.com/news/15144329/detail.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325816,00.html

http://www.ocala.com/article/2008012.../BREAKING_NEWS

Old 02-09-2008, 12:03 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: THIS WILL MAKE YOU THINK TWICE...

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!

That is absolutely insane that that was a car! Thoughts and prayers to their families.

Josh

Old 02-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Senior Administrator

yeah... that PAM guy, the real one not the pretend PAM, posted that up in sights & sounds a couple weks ago.

I wonder how much kinetic energy it takes to get an M5 to fly 200 feet?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:09 AM
2nd Gear

yeha i have no idea... ive drivin nearly that fast before 130... but on a road that i travel every day twice a day and it was in the day time... not saying thats a smart idea by anymeans because its not but i had myself a v8 mustang and i was on a straight country road... after i got in a few minor fender benders and hit a deer with my old probe it kinda slows eveything down and makes you realize how fast it all happens!! my prayers go out to the families as well

Old 02-09-2008, 02:38 PM
1st Gear

Damn. I wonder if they just didn't see the end of the runway coming up. I've been a passenger in a carwhere the driver maxed out at about 145. It's insane how quickly things happen at that kind of speed. Even if you have a few mile stretch, it'll go by in an instant.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:38 PM
3rd Gear

I saw this awhile ago, but i was just inspired to see if i could figure out a rough estimate of how fast these kids were going. Iv taken highschool and college physics so i feel that my guess could be fairly accurate.

First i simplified the problem. The car traveled 200' (about 61m) horizontally, and at the same time dropped about 70' (85' from the air strip to the ground, and they hit a tree 15' up: or about 21m). Knowing the acceleration due to gravity, 9.8m/s/s, i was able to find how long it took the car to freefall the 21 meters. This came to just over 2 seconds, meaning those kids were int he air for a little over 2 seconds before they crashed. They were also traveling downward at about 40 km/h.

Next i divided the distance the car traveled horizontally by the time getting the horizontal velocity, which should be the speed that the car was traveling the instant it became airborn. This is just shy of 110 km/h. When analized i found that the car impacted the tree at about 130 km/h or 80 mph.

So what i have found:

Air time: ~ 2.14 seconds
Speed of the car when leaving the airstrip (sideways?) : ~ 70 mph
Speed of the car when it hit the tree (again sideways?) : ~ 80 mph

This isnt exact, but im pretty confident in it. It would be significantly different if the car left a ramp, but judging by the pictures the airstrip, is raised 85 feet, but it does not have a positive launch angle. I could be wrong.

Its simple, the car left the air strip level, the only force pulling it down is gravity. If i know how far it fell i can calculate a time, that lets me get average horizontal velovity too. and the car wont speed up or slow down much horizontally when in the air, only added acceleration caused by gravity. What i get from this is that you really dont have to be going too fast to fly 200' through the air. If these kids did see the end coming and were in a sideways slide trying to stop or turn but still traveling off the edge at 70mph thats still plenty to send them flying into a tree.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:58 PM
6th Gear

I saw this a bit ago and the worst thing was as long as it is the one I was thinking of, not only a week before the kid who drove this car was brutality flamed on an M5 forum and then even told them he was gonna go crash the car and they did nothing, makes you wonder why some people do what they do.

it a horrible thing though and it makes me sad to see people throw their lives away like that.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:59 PM
4th Gear

Old 02-09-2008, 04:16 PM
3rd Gear

haha i saw this in the s-car, ot, and im pretty sure at least one other sub forum

Old 02-09-2008, 07:51 PM
2nd Gear

Booze+pot+chicks+speed = deadly. Always. What a waste of lives of these kids.

See, if my signature makes sense now..

Quick Reply: THIS WILL MAKE YOU THINK TWICE...