Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

wrx sti??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: wrx sti??

LOL that Roush Mustang getting trounced by the VW was awesome - didn't even stand a chance!

Old 10-24-2007, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Lebe Frei

pros.
* easire to work on than an audi
* faster

cons.
* not built as well
* (while awd) they ARE NOT quattro
* less luxurious
* more problems

tips.
* GO TO A STI FORUM!!!!
Not sure if agree with you on alot of that. I don’t see any advantage with the Quattro system over the system employed by the sti. Actually, I always thought of the Quattro system as an ancient approach (that is, it’s purely mechanical). I also really don’t think a stock sti would have more problems than a 1.8t not to say it wouldn’t have any.I mean really the 1.8t is probably one of the most problematic engines I have ever encountered. The only problems I hear about a stock sti motor is they tend to go through knock sensors like crazy…..not sure why.

I agree with you on styling but nothing else.

Btw I forgot to put in my last post, another pro for the sti. It has (by far) the best exhaust notes of any 4 cylinder engine.

sorry to keep this thread going.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:40 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: dubblrest1985

hey does anyone know anything about the wrx sti? like what country made them and how durable they are? safety and all that mumbo jumbo?
moving this to Off Topic forum.

but one thing. this is a place where you will find LOADS more information on Subaru's than you will here---->http://www.nasioc.com

but a tip, don't just go on and ask questions. you thiink people flame here. 90% of car forums on the interweb don't even compare to that place. it's pretty crazy

Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 PM
4th Gear

k.....oldeer STIs audi<sti....newer STIs<audi.....they try t hard the new ones suck a$$

Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Tech Guru

dude, wrx and wrx sti's can't get over 500whp without blowing trannies.... had a buddy that made his wrx hit 500 bought 2 trannies, then he bought a sti bought a tranny..... then he got a ws6

on the awd scale i thought audi was 1 suby was 2?

and i have a buddy with a wrx he said clutches are an issue too

not to say all good about audi cause we all know their problems, but if i was buying a lower end hp car i would get an a4 over a rex and if i was buying a higher end powered car i would get a 2.7t over a sti

now throw a evo 8 or even 8 in that mix and it is a toss between the 2.7t and the evo...... but that is my 2 cents

and apparently the "chase" car the stage 3 apr gli would romp both those cars at the track.... but we all know quattro will win in the twisties... even with the upgraded suspension on both

Old 10-24-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

dude, wrx and wrx sti's can't get over 500whp without blowing trannies.... had a buddy that made his wrx hit 500 bought 2 trannies, then he bought a sti bought a tranny..... then he got a ws6

on the awd scale i thought audi was 1 suby was 2?

and i have a buddy with a wrx he said clutches are an issue too

not to say all good about audi cause we all know their problems, but if i was buying a lower end hp car i would get an a4 over a rex and if i was buying a higher end powered car i would get a 2.7t over a sti

now throw a evo 8 or even 8 in that mix and it is a toss between the 2.7t and the evo...... but that is my 2 cents

and apparently the "chase" car the stage 3 apr gli would romp both those cars at the track.... but we all know quattro will win in the twisties... even with the upgraded suspension on both
cause 500 hp is so little, i completely see your point. why buy a car if its transmission cant hold more than 500hp. it must be a piece of junk. with the exception of transmissions in super cars or Tremc/Borg-Warner t-56 i cant think of many factory transmissions that can hold up to 500hp all day long without any problems.

i would pick a 2.7t also but not cause its faster (cause its not even close to an sti) i would pick it cause its worth more $. then i could sell it, buy an sti, and still have money left over for a few years of insurance.

like i said before, you can argue styling all you want and ill agree with you, but performance and reliabilty....sorry

Old 10-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Tech Guru

i am not saying 500hp is a little, but you look all over this board, az, any forum on the web, and guy after guy is trying to get the most out of thier car and most people don't realize how much junk a wrx's tranny is

Old 10-24-2007, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

if it can hold up to 500hp, i wouldnt call it "junk", thats all im saying.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear

jonus, do you have any experience with the 2.7t engine? cause it sounds like no..

the B5 S4's(with OEM RS4 turbo's)put up numbers between 350Awhp and 450Awhp all day long. with little to no issues..

and a chipped S4 pulls pretty hard on an STi and Evo. 2.7t's are beasts if done up right... there's plenty putting down over 600Awhp too. just so you know

Old 10-24-2007, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sean1.8t

jonus, do you have any experience with the 2.7t engine? cause it sounds like no..

the B5 S4's(with OEM RS4 turbo's)put up numbers between 350Awhp and 450Awhp all day long. with little to no issues..

and a chipped S4 pulls pretty hard on an STi and Evo. 2.7t's are beasts if done up right... there's plenty putting down over 600Awhp too. just so you know
do you really think 450 or for that matter 600 hp impresses me? do you know how much money you have to put into a b5 s4 to get those numbers, and thats besides the cost of the car? i cant even image how that would kill the drivablity of the car (not to mention mpg). and i bet it still cant do a 10 second 1/4 mile (unless maybe its gutted, which helps my poitn above).

and btw 600hp? thats funny i see sti's with similar of greater figures all the time.

i already had to replace the transmission in my STOCK a4 with STOCK hp. if the six speed is anything even close to the 5spd im not buying it. in fact it wouldnt suprise me if they used the same or a similar case as they use the same engine blocks for the 2.8l as the 2.7lt.

bottom line, 2.7t.....nothing special.