Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YO Skiers!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:23 AM
Default YO Skiers!?

HEy chicks and dudes. WHo likes to shred? So here's the deal. I'm a snowboarder (don't hate) but I'm trying to get into skiing. I've got a few friends who are sponsored skiers who need videos made and pics taken and that's easier to do on skis. I'm just wondering what kind of skis to buy. I want ones that I can shred with but also ride park and do cool stuff. Twin tips I think? Not really sure, that's why I need help. I'm 5'9" and 160 lbs of pure muscle!!!!! haha, so what's recommended?

Old 12-30-2007, 02:39 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: YO Skiers!?

I used to ski race nationally, so I don't know much about park ski's as I'm a back country/big mountain kinda guy now. There arn't too many great hybrid skis out there (park and for "shreding") and twin tips are just annoying outside of the park, especially for people behind you. I was sponsored by Salomon so of course I'm going to tell you to get a pair of salomons, but really they're awesome ski's and amazing on the off piste if you get the right pair.

But if you're set on gets some twin tips, maybe look into some 4Fronts. From what I hear they're good in park and decent on the mountain... but as just learning I dont think you want to get some twin tips.

As for size, I'm 6'1" and ski on 173cm's onthe fat salomon sandstorms (badass ski) but I like them shorter for backcountry. At your height I would say around a 170 wouldn't be bad but when you're at a shop they should be around eye to forehead level, which is what I would recommend. If you're truly all muscle you'll probably flex the sh*t out of a park ski which is why I would steer you elsewhere, of course this wouldnt be until you really learn how to ski. Also you're probably be able to flex your boots a little more so look for a little stiffer flex, my race boots were 160 flex and i'm now on 120 flex but I would recommend around an 80 flex for you.

Its hard for me to think about trying to teach people how to ski and what they should use equipment wise because I have the mentality and used to being surround/using world cup equipment, but let me know if you have any questions!