RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

recommended oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:02 AM
1st Gear
Default recommended oil

what oil does everybody reccomend, the oil filler cap says castrol but i my dealer told me mobil 1 was whats up

Old 03-27-2007, 09:22 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: recommended oil

DUUDDEEEEEE ARE you serious? theres only 1 oil that fits that motor, the special high performance OIL forthe RS4 from Audi, and only thAT.

)

Old 03-27-2007, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

Is there a general API specification requirement listed in the Owner's Manual (in addition to the recommended weight and viscosity)? If so, I'd just compare that to the API rating on the Mobil 1 label. I'd do that before taking your dealer's word for it. If the Manual just says "use Audi oil only" and not give any specific requirements I'd say there's quite a conspiracy going on considering how much oil the S4's and RS4s consume. As long as Mobil 1 synthetic oil's weight and viscoisty were the same as the Audi variant, I'd have no problem using it. But thats just my opinion - its your engine.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:19 AM
2nd Gear

Stop by your local Kragen's or Autozone and just ask the guy behind the "computer with an answer to every auto question" whick oil you need for an RS4. Simple.

Might be able to even check online...

Old 03-28-2007, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sykotoy

DUUDDEEEEEE ARE you serious? theres only 1 oil that fits that motor, the special high performance OIL forthe RS4 from Audi, and only thAT.

)
not really but nice try

Old 04-02-2007, 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: yellowblur

Is there a general API specification requirement listed in the Owner's Manual (in addition to the recommended weight and viscosity)? If so, I'd just compare that to the API rating on the Mobil 1 label. I'd do that before taking your dealer's word for it. If the Manual just says "use Audi oil only" and not give any specific requirements I'd say there's quite a conspiracy going on considering how much oil the S4's and RS4s consume. As long as Mobil 1 synthetic oil's weight and viscoisty were the same as the Audi variant, I'd have no problem using it. But thats just my opinion - its your engine.
If the oil is for the new B7 RS4, then there is no API requirement, as the API specifications are just not good enough for the requirements of all the latest VAG motors.

I'm guessing you are from the US, because in UK and Europe, if you go to your dealer with any warranty complaint on your engine, the garage will carry out oil analysis on the sump oil, and if it does not meet the standard as listed in the owners manual, the warranty claim is rejected!

Just use any make of oil which has been approved by VW to meet the required standard. I think AudiUSA.com has a downloadable PDF, listing all the approved oils.

Rgds

Old 04-19-2007, 11:54 PM

owners manual specifies vw 502 specs. So Mobil 1 0w40 meets this and it will be what I use.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:30 AM
2nd Gear

Always use Mobil 1 regardless

Old 04-22-2007, 09:18 AM

Erm, the manual actually states VW504.00 as the preferred oil standard, with 502.00 being a "lesser" quality (and considerably older specification).

Being as the B7 RS4 isa modern engine, being highly stressed, with a high-rev red line, and FSI technology, why do you recommend using the older, less capable502 standard oils??

Old 04-23-2007, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

Audi approved oil meeting VW 502.00 specifications listed here:

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/....0004.File.pdf

Quick Reply: recommended oil