RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

RS4 & Milltek - Just can't Stand Quiet

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:22 AM
1st Gear
Default RS4 & Milltek - Just can't Stand Quiet

Well, I have had the privilege of my Daytona/Black RS4 for a week and it is everything I hoped for and more. At delivery I was a bit under whelmed with the performance, however after a week things have changed, and SIGNIFICANTLY.

At delivery I felt that the car was simply too tight and the response was lacking. Each mile has proven just how well the car is built. Each mile the car is more responsive, quicker, flatter, and more nimble and is beginning to exceed my expectations.

Handling is absolutely flat making posted 30mph corners very easy at 90mph. Response to steering input is instant and requires very methodical corrections in the learning curve. Steering is much more responsive than either of my S4's. I was not impressed with the shifter at delivery and today I can say it is smoother and more positive than either of my S4's. The brakes are simply awesome! Having driven big brake equipped S4's, there is no comparison to the RS4 brakes. I firmly believe that if I tried hard I could stand the RS4 on its nose!

The fit and finish of the car is impressive and to those who know, instantly draws a crowd. Saturday I was back at the dealer for coffee and donuts and a sneak peek at the new 997 Turbo. My RS4 drew a bigger crowd. The engine compartment is a work of art and a must see for anyone looking at the RS4. The engine compartment gives new meaning to "over the top". Stopped by a friends GMC dealership and instantly emptied the showroom of sales people. Spent 30 minutes answering questions from "gear heads" that happen to sell GMC's.

Running the car through the gears is effortless and intoxicating. The rate of speedometer sweep is validation for the performance specs posted for the RS4. The Sport button is not my cup of tea and I find it a bit too sensitive in the remap of the throttle response. The exhaust is certainly better with the "S" button engaged, however I need to hear the FSI injected 4.2 "talk" to me and the stock exhaust simply doesn’t do it for me, even in the "S" mode.

Monday I spoke with Bob (owner) at Stratsmosphere and he "hooked" me up with one of the first two Milltek RS4 catback systems to arrive in the US. The Stratsmosphere RS4 gets the first one and I get the second. Since there won't be anymore for about six weeks, I feel very fortunate. More HP and sound to go with it, how could it get any better? So as soon as the Milltek arrives I will post a follow-up.

I feel privileged and humble to own such an automobile. While very different than my Porsche 996 TT "S", the RS4 is in a league of its own and offers performance on a world class level. The RS4 certainly establishes the benchmark for a Super Sedan class. BMW will have to work very hard to make the new (coming) M3 a competitor.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:50 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: RS4 & Milltek - Just can't Stand Quiet

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

holy RS4 batman, first Milltek exhaust...ok 2nd, anyway, get some pics as soon as you can or the install process...im very intrigued by the new RS4 and would LOVE to have one someday(yeah right), as a tuner at heart, I await more news from your RS4 exploits...thanks for the quick write-up! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-20-2006, 04:12 AM
1st Gear

Here we go on one of my long A** replies. I am facinated at how much we think a like offroad. Same color and same reviews (almost identicle) on the RS4. I was the exact same way when I first drove mine off the lot. I felt as though for the price and specs I should have gotten "more car" but all of that changed as time went on. Handling is in a league of its own, I concurr. I have not pushed 90 in a 30 MPH corner yet but have reached 140 and it was easier than turning on my plasma while veg'n out. Granted the car had over 500 miles on it to ensure a somewhat broken in engine.
Have you set the Speedo alert yet? I set mine to 90 b/c at 80, it feels as though you are only going 40. The one thing I wish this car had was digital gauges FYI. Reading the manual is like reading the directions for your favorite toy as a child. There is so much to learn and every bit is interesting.
The brakes....just awesome. Self cleaning too, which I love considering they are ventilated. If those things were to heat up with dirt in the holes...can you say cracked rotor. Love it! There is hardly any dive when gettin on those puppies.
As for the engine, a friend of mine said it best "damn thing is so nice & clean, you could eat off of it". I couldn't have said it better myself. That leads me into the S button. I said basically the same thing. Doesn't do much for me/I'd rather here the engine. Throttle is pretty jumpy while its engaged but the overall sound is "a little" better. I want to emphasize little.
I have been an avid fan of exhaust for some time now, so I am very interested to here what you think of your new one. How will that affect your S button characteristics? Guessing no baffle open/close-just an increase in throttle right? From Borla, Gibson & F-40/F-50 series F.M's to California turbos, cherry bombs and other glass packs I have messed with them all. Some cars it affects the warranty and others it doesn't. Will it on the RS4? Simply can't wait to hear it!
This is a world class super car and it def turns heads "FOR THOSE WHO KNOW" and some that don't, which I like. It has a suttle "sleeper" like approach if you want it too or it has a whoop your A** approach if that is what you are in the mood for that day. Glad you like your new ride, I knew you would. Make sure they give you all the pin #'s to enter for your Nav, phone and other instruments. Also, did you get my report on the main oil line? Have yours checked for peace of mind eventhough I am sure it is fine.
While at my dealer today, a guy who owns more bada** cars than a Sultan came up to me after looking over my ride. He was in a twin turbo Bentley coupe AWD W-12...sweet! He also has an '03 RS6 (many others) and an order for the R8 coming out in a year or so...dudes loaded. Anyway, he had the clear film bra on his Bentley and on most of his other cars. My question is this: do you think, eventhough up close you can tell its a stick on protectant, it is worth it to have applied to the front end? I want my car to be protected but I also want it to look good. What does everyone think?
Almost forgot, did yours come with the strait filler panel in front or the license holder...which one did you order? Mine came (and all the rest) with the License holder but, I already ordered the strait panel and am having it installed later in the week! Cost $200.00 FYI-but gettin it for a hundo since my name was used from a referral for a customer who bought an A6 last week. He read what I wrote about my dealer on this website and then drover from TN to buy one. Kinda cool.
Congrats Offroad & great review, I really enjoyed reading it!

[IMG]local://upfiles/17633/BD007215DA104A32924DF78F43FFE0CA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17633/9588A6DE5B73444081C7258BF0DC4DAC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-20-2006, 05:07 AM
1st Gear

hope you two compare notes and present more for us fellow Audiphiles in the future

Old 06-20-2006, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Trev - your question about whether you should apply a clearbra is for you only to answer because it depends on your driving style and environment. FYI, I had it on my M5 and endded up removing it after two years. That "line" on the hood drove me nuts. Especially when someone notices it and asked what it is. And there was no wax buildup along that crack to make it stand out either, I always used blue painters tape when waxing.

Now I didn't drive my car in nasty conditions, nor do I even come close to what would be considered tailgating. So in that case, the clearbra just detracted from the car's appearance. Now if I lived in a big city where you must tailgate or the space ahead of you will quickly fill up, or if I drove the car in the winter where they graveled/sanded the roads, then maybe. I said maybe. Of course stone chips are plenty unsightly too, but another option is a respray every two years. Touch call, good luck deciding. FWIW, I'm not putting it on my new RS4 when it arrives, and I plan on driving it every day even in the nasty winter.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

Elevens, thanks for the advise! I will re-think the situation and ponder over a few drinks later. I too agree that the line over the hood is an eye soar. Sounds like waxing is a real pain too. I do live in a big city and so far I have tried avoiding highways and long drives down to one of my businesses-2 hours away FYI. Backroads are key in Atlanta and there are plenty of them, so I'll continue to use them 90% of the time. Curious, how much did it cost to buy and have installed? Thanks again!

[IMG]local://upfiles/17633/D9A5F5641EDA4C23BCD0799361E2DD42.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-21-2006, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

Sorry, I don't remember the cost of the clearbra. They were purchased from BMW and 3M branded, installed by a specialty shop. I'm guessing around $500 installed for bumper, hood, mirrors, and forward section of the front fenders. For me, I'd rather spend $500 on a respray every once in a while and not have to look at that stupid line on the hood. Realize my car was fairly dark. Another color might hide the clearbra better.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

Much appreciated Elevens!

Old 06-21-2006, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

Offroad, did your RS4 come with Michelin's or Pirelli's? Curious?

Old 06-21-2006, 08:53 PM
2nd Gear

god danm, im sooooo jelous...

Quick Reply: RS4 & Milltek - Just can't Stand Quiet