RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

RS4 owners, have u removed resonators?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Roc
1st Gear
Default RS4 owners, have u removed resonators?

Has anyone just removed the resonators and put in a straight pipes instead of replacing the whole exhaust? If so, do you like it or does it "butcher" the sound?

Thanks

Old 10-31-2007, 01:44 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: RS4 owners, have u removed resonators?

Actually an interesting idea. I did that on my A4 2.OT and cut out the resonators on the APR exhaust and removed the cat as well and installed test pipe. It was great and increased performance noticeably, felt like another chip upgrade.

I have an RS4 now, eying the milltek, but do not want to lose my valves or spring for the valved milltek system well over $2600.

Since I am thinking of going nonres no valve milltek. I may try removing the res center section first and keep my stock valves. Will probably cost $80 all in.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Roc
1st Gear

Keep me posted...

Also check out GMGracing.com, they have a nice exhaust for @ $1500

Old 11-03-2007, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

Well I cut out the center resonators and replaced with straight pipes. I have an excellent muffler shop that did it for 89 dollars.

Car has a nice deep growl now even without the "s" button. No annoying drone or resonance in the cabin. Brought it by my tuning shop, who would probably sell me a milltek system. They were impressed.Throttle is slightly more responsive. Shifts from 1st to 2nd are somewhat smoother. As this car set me back quite a bit, this is a nice mod until you are ready to go to the Milltek. Also, I still get to use my valves on the "s" button".

With Milltek, you can get non-res no valve system for $1699, if you want valves, you go up to $2600. My muffler shop also confirmed that the current catalytic converter is a high flow cat and very good. Therefore, the downpipes from Milltek for another $2100 are probably not worth it.

This was a good experiment as it has reassured me that the no res system from Milltek using stock downpipes is a good enough exhaust system for me. My only reservation is losing my valves if I go with that system.

For the time being I am content with this mod, which improved throttle response slightly, gives a nice deep growl, with no cabin annoyance, and retains the use of the vaccum valves in the stock system.

Maybe this spring I will go for the Milltek. For now, I am just going to lower the car with the H&R Sport springs to close up that gap with the wheel well, unless I can find a set of OEM springs from the European RS4 which are slightly lower than U.S. OEM springs.

also may order some RS4 embroidered floor mats.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:49 PM

Sounds like a great idea. You can't go wrong for 100-200 bucks by removing the resonators. Thanks. I am so stoked, I just got mine 4 days ago.

Rueb

Old 11-03-2007, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

good idea i bet that would free up alot of power

Old 11-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Roc
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: daytonagrey

Well I cut out the center resonators and replaced with straight pipes. I have an excellent muffler shop that did it for 89 dollars.

Car has a nice deep growl now even without the "s" button. No annoying drone or resonance in the cabin. Brought it by my tuning shop, who would probably sell me a milltek system. They were impressed.Throttle is slightly more responsive. Shifts from 1st to 2nd are somewhat smoother. As this car set me back quite a bit, this is a nice mod until you are ready to go to the Milltek. Also, I still get to use my valves on the "s" button".

With Milltek, you can get non-res no valve system for $1699, if you want valves, you go up to $2600. My muffler shop also confirmed that the current catalytic converter is a high flow cat and very good. Therefore, the downpipes from Milltek for another $2100 are probably not worth it.

This was a good experiment as it has reassured me that the no res system from Milltek using stock downpipes is a good enough exhaust system for me. My only reservation is losing my valves if I go with that system.

For the time being I am content with this mod, which improved throttle response slightly, gives a nice deep growl, with no cabin annoyance, and retains the use of the vaccum valves in the stock system.

Maybe this spring I will go for the Milltek. For now, I am just going to lower the car with the H&R Sport springs to close up that gap with the wheel well, unless I can find a set of OEM springs from the European RS4 which are slightly lower than U.S. OEM springs.

also may order some RS4 embroidered floor mats.

Thanks man, sounds like it went well for you.

How much lower are the Euro springs? Are they the same spring rate?

Old 11-04-2007, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

I understand Euro springs lower 0.5 inch, while the H&R lower 0.75. Do not know the spring rate.

Hate to admit, but I am doing this primarily for aesthetic reasons and believe that Audi has to have the higher stance for U.S. standards not for performance reasons.

Yes this car is truly a blast, although after having moved from a 2.0T Quattro, I do have to fill up at the pump much more often. Oh well, the price of the V8.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

Tubi Style has come out with a system for the RS4 that has oval tips now. I really like the sound on the Youtube vids I have heard. Tubi Style does most of the exhausts for ferrari and lamborghini. I may go with the Tuni Style catback instead of the Milltek.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Roc
1st Gear

Well I just took the plunge, put a deposit todayon a '08 RS4 in black with premium and titanium packages to deliver mid-Jan.. Looks like this will be my first mod!

Quick Reply: RS4 owners, have u removed resonators?